Bluecoats 2022

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This didn't age well.

Believe me, no one is thinking Devils and/or the Bluecoats are going to sit back and let Crown stroll to a 2nd championship. 

I think it’s disrespectful to any of these three corps to write them off. Especially this early in the season. Now if the gap widens in Broken Arrow and San Antonio, then we can start to talk about who is in contention for gold and who isn’t. Crown proved me wrong last night but I’m still very confident in Bloo to finish the show and jump quite a bit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

This didn't age well.

Believe me, no one is thinking Devils and/or the Bluecoats are going to sit back and let Crown stroll to a 2nd championship. 

Yep and I am here and ready to take it on the chin, and hand over my receipt. I was wrong with last night's outcome. Crown won fair and square, no excuses. 

However you don't speak for everyone. There was people saying it's over based off one Crown performance in the show thread the other night. Those are the people I was referring to. 

But in the end you collected my receipt, and I own it and stand by my comment. No backpedaling here. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Yep and I am here and ready to take it on the chin, and hand over my receipt. I was wrong with last night's outcome. Crown won fair and square, no excuses. 

However you don't speak for everyone. There was people saying it's over based off one Crown performance in the show thread the other night. Those are the people I was referring to. 

But in the end you collected my receipt, and I own it and stand by my comment. No backpedaling here. 

no worries, things can certainly change throughout the season that's for sure!

11 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I'll chime in here (as I am perhaps one of the "people" referred to).

I think it's important to acknowledge that not all prognostication is equal and/or well reasoned.  So sure, when folks merely take the scores on nights 1 or 2 and call the end, based on the scores alone... yes, that's lazy and somewhat cynical.

I, on the other hand, was pointing out that the scores seem to verify what I am observing about the Bloo show in comparison to the Crown show (and BD as well).  Bluecoats' design is cohesive, articulate, beautiful, satisfying, clean, cool and complete (in spite of some that keep saying that the show is "unfinished"... probably referring to typical closer and impact replacement material that is inevitable for most groups).

But... it is not competitively aggressive with respect to a title win (mostly in technical areas, but also in GE).  Crown and BD are clearly up for it this time around.  Generally, this kind of condition doesn't really change over the course of a month and a half.  The shows change a little, but it takes A LOT to move the needle a little and the Bloo show design needs the needle to move a little in a lot of places.  The mature and appropriate thing to do is to max out the potential for the show that you have, rather than rewrite for a show that checks all the boxes for a win.  Usually, the pursuit of rewrites that can contend ends in mish-mash that not only falls short, but also muddles up the otherwise effective original concept.  Bloo won't make that mistake.  They would rather have a great show that makes sense and follows a consistent pattern than convince judges that they have the better comparison against corps X in the rubric.

I think they are fielding a great 3rd place show... it might even be 4th or 5th if it levels off early... which less aggressive material can do (and they have done that before).

I am Bloo through and through, but I think I am giving an honest and respectful appraisal.

I seriously could call many of the caption placements, if not the spread from independent viewings of the 2 shows before they met up.  I called it before it happened, because I think it is apparent to anyone that is a discerning viewer.

I'm not disappointed, or bleak about it.  I'm very proud of Bloo.  This is a super cool and whacky show.  It's very Bluecoats!

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I'll chime in here (as I am perhaps one of the "people" referred to).

I think it's important to acknowledge that not all prognostication is equal and/or well reasoned.  So sure, when folks merely take the scores on nights 1 or 2 and call the end, based on the scores alone... yes, that's lazy and somewhat cynical.

I, on the other hand, was pointing out that the scores seem to verify what I am observing about the Bloo show in comparison to the Crown show (and BD as well).  Bluecoats' design is cohesive, articulate, beautiful, satisfying, clean, cool and complete (in spite of some that keep saying that the show is "unfinished"... probably referring to typical closer and impact replacement material that is inevitable for most groups).

But... it is not competitively aggressive with respect to a title win (mostly in technical areas, but also in GE).  Crown and BD are clearly up for it this time around.  Generally, this kind of condition doesn't really change over the course of a month and a half.  The shows change a little, but it takes A LOT to move the needle a little and the Bloo show design needs the needle to move a little in a lot of places.  The mature and appropriate thing to do is to max out the potential for the show that you have, rather than rewrite for a show that checks all the boxes for a win.  Usually, the pursuit of rewrites that can contend ends in mish-mash that not only falls short, but also muddles up the otherwise effective original concept.  Bloo won't make that mistake.  They would rather have a great show that makes sense and follows a consistent pattern than convince judges that they have the better comparison against corps X in the rubric.

I think they are fielding a great 3rd place show... it might even be 4th or 5th if it levels off early... which less aggressive material can do (and they have done that before).

I am Bloo through and through, but I think I am giving an honest and respectful appraisal.

I seriously could call many of the caption placements, if not the spread from independent viewings of the 2 shows before they met up.  I called it before it happened, because I think it is apparent to anyone that is a discerning viewer.

I'm not disappointed, or bleak about it.  I'm very proud of Bloo.  This is a super cool and whacky show.  It's very Bluecoats!

I could be way off, but I see everything so differently than you. I’m a Devils fan and not particularly in love with the Bluecoats show. I think the Bluecoats show design is clearly superior to Crown’s and with stronger performances, they’ll pass Crown. Crown will almost certainly take music over Bloo this year, but come finals, I’d be shocked if Bloo didn’t surpass Crown in GE and Visual.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I could be way off, but I see everything so differently than you. I’m a Devils fan and not particularly in love with the Bluecoats show. I think the Bluecoats show design is clearly superior to Crown’s and with stronger performances, they’ll pass Crown. Crown will almost certainly take music over Bloo this year, but come finals, I’d be shocked if Bloo didn’t surpass Crown in GE and Visual.

I think you are right about visual.  But honestly, visual is the more accessible element to move the needle on and Crown's visual design is pretty good.  That GE caption though...

I have been saying for several years following their win in 16, Bloo needs to get more aggressive in more captions, outside of GE.  They have done better with visual this time around, but their gamble on the narrative GE design and a lack of momentum on technical music composition (compared to the target field)... I just don't see it.

2016 was the last REALLY aggressive music design that they had.  They have been more or less reserved since.  I think that was what made them so back-and-forth with BD in 2019.  If the music book had gone for the jugular... they would have sailed away with the title and locked it down early.  Instead they were having to hold up point values in a smaller set of subcaptions and hold on tight to GE.

Edited by cfirwin3

23 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

...but it takes A LOT to move the needle a little and the Bloo show design needs the needle to move a little in a lot of places.  The mature and appropriate thing to do is to max out the potential for the show that you have, rather than rewrite for a show that checks all the boxes for a win.  Usually, the pursuit of rewrites that can contend ends in mish-mash that not only falls short, but also muddles up the otherwise effective original concept.  Bloo won't make that mistake.  They would rather have a great show that makes sense and follows a consistent pattern than convince judges that they have the better comparison against corps X in the rubric.

I think this is a good point. Often we do see a lot of corps do rewrite after rewrite and often we get a mish-mash of elements that do not necessarily enhance the show. It begins to lose focus and does more to hurt the product than enhance clarity and expression through music and visual. The Cadets have made this mistake many times. So has pretty much everyone else minus Blue Devils who are very careful about change. 

I agree that Bluecoats will not make wholesale changes but will likely just try to strengthen the flow of the music and visual in a way to enhance the show. 

As for placements it is still too difficult to establish who will win or be top 5. At this point it seems that BD, Crown, Bloo, SCV, and Boston will be those top 5 corps. But we cannot count out Cavaliers. Cadets are sporting a very nice show that has a wonderful concept and some exceptional drill. But I don't think they quite have the caption strength to shoot for top 5. Phantom is also intriguing to me because I love the show so much and can only imagine what they will look like when clean. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Hi - sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - but could I get an ID on where the source material for the narration is from? 

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance?
Trout fishing in America?

Taming the Dragon by Brad Mehldau

• Confused 1