Bluecoats 2022

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think you are right about visual.  But honestly, visual is the more accessible element to move the needle on and Crown's visual design is pretty good.  That GE caption though...

I have been saying for several years following their win in 16, Bloo needs to get more aggressive in more captions, outside of GE.  They have done better with visual this time around, but their gamble on the narrative GE design and a lack of momentum on technical music composition (compared to the target field)... I just don't see it.

2016 was the last REALLY aggressive music design that they had.  They have been more or less reserved since.  I think that was what made them so back-and-forth with BD in 2019.  If the music book had gone for the jugular... they would have sailed away with the title and locked it down early.  Instead they were having to hold up point values in a smaller set of subcaptions and hold on tight to GE.

Bluecoats won 2016 finals night in the music caption outright and tied Crown in 2019 iirc, I think the main issue for them this year is they potentially slip in that caption and Crown gets closer in Visual, which along with the color guard by all accounts returning to previous typically top-3 levels. The margin between the top 4 in music in 2019 was less than 3 tenths of a point, I find that really weird, of course every corps has their strengths, but even then I feel there should be more of an edge given to those that come out on top in the music caption compared to the GE and visual captions, we’ll probably see that this year I think if crown solidifies their edges in brass and boosts their scores in percussion. Bluecoats will need to not slip and maintain pace with them and BD, and we don’t even know how they will score musically compared to BD until they meet. More data is needed on Crown-Bloo as well. But the recent historical trends when Bloo is contending for a title say that they really do keep pace with Crown and can even potentially beat them in the whole music caption.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

More data is needed on Crown-Bloo as well. But the recent historical trends when Bloo is contending for a title say that they really do keep pace with Crown and can even potentially beat them in the whole music caption.

There's no such thing as trends.  There is only the shows, right here and right now (if you will forgive the pun).  My assessment was made without the scores, and then the scores confirmed my observations.  I don't see this as a 'wait and see' sort of mystery.  I think the standings are fairly observable without the judges.  Bloo has only ever had 2 seasons where they actually had a shot at the title and this design is somewhat safer than both of those programs, which were not vastly superior to the nearest contenders at the time.  Watch and see if I am right.

I do like the show.  My favorite shows of all time were 3rd and 4th place programs... it's not about the scores for me.  I'm merely giving an honest appraisal.

• Like 1

I am not bashing any corps here, i dont bash corps even when they have a devisive and confusing show.

I am a BD honk here.. always but I like all corps besides my fave. But i have to say this, Bluecoats I LOVE your show over certain corps.. Yes I Do! and i don't give a dam. I think the production is incredible and entertaining to heck. I appreciate art, and that's art right there. From the show statrs i have been swaying from side to side dancing to the music. That trip i can be on all day.

To add to that, i just want this amazing and bold 2022 BC to keep the competition as fierce, as much as they can. Don't let up, it might get the reward in the end.

GO BLOOOOOO!

DO IT UP DEVILS!

• Like 6

I’m sure this has been posted before but this is the source for the theme of Riffs and Revelations:

If you’ve never heard of Meldhau I recommend you listen to more than this one release. It is not indicative of most of his work. Highway Rider is a phenomenal work, as are his trio recordings. Meldhau is a true prodigy, perhaps the most accomplished pianist of his generation.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Thanks 1

The closer to this show is obviously a place holder right now. I predict something very surprising will emerge from behind the backdrop come Nashville…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

There's no such thing as trends.  There is only the shows, right here and right now (if you will forgive the pun).  My assessment was made without the scores, and then the scores confirmed my observations.  I don't see this as a 'wait and see' sort of mystery.  I think the standings are fairly observable without the judges.  Bloo has only ever had 2 seasons where they actually had a shot at the title and this design is somewhat safer than both of those programs, which were not vastly superior to the nearest contenders at the time.  Watch and see if I am right.

I do like the show.  My favorite shows of all time were 3rd and 4th place programs... it's not about the scores for me.  I'm merely giving an honest appraisal.

I mean sure, that’s fair, I’m just simply trying to say the top 3 haven’t even met yet. I’m not even really “rooting” for Bloo’s show to win, even though they’re one of my favorite corps in general as well. We have to see where everyone is placing relative to each other, especially when each product is so different from each other. There are such a thing as trends when things continually occur when trying to predict what the final outcome will be, and there’s so much of a season left to be played out. People were predicting Bloo to trounce Crown in GE in their first meeting and never look back last week and it didn’t come close to playing out that way. And yes quite a few of my favorite shows were the runner’s up and 3rd placing shows as well, even further on down, I agree with that haha

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

There's no such thing as trends. 

When asked if officials are biased, two time college basketball coach of the year Eddie Fogler replied:

”Every official knows who is supposed to win.”

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The closer to this show is obviously a place holder right now. I predict something very surprising will emerge from behind the backdrop come Nashville…

Probably a Cadillac 😎

Bluecaots Alumni Corps getting ready for their DCI Finals appearance. Sounds great!!!

https://www.facebook.com/784450336/videos/621899129309524

• Like 7