Turning point - 2005 Cadetw

Mattn

This thread is about the performance of the 2005 cadets not anything having to do with the program. I watched the show again today and thought to myself is this really the show and year they changed drum Corps as we know? There was a door in the middle of the field we thought that It was crazy yet visual and GE we’re incredible of the show. The horns the drums all incredible..The horn progressions the sound tone all different from what we’ve ever heard. So I ask this community was this the turning point to modern frump corps?

• Haha 1

I don't know if it changed drum corps but the ballad won them the chip that year, it was absolutely gorgeous. They pushed the boundaries further a year or two later when they talked into a microphone for half the show. I caught them in Lafayette and I remember seeing a lot of shut up and play t shirts from the dinosaur crowd in attendance 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I don't know if it changed drum corps but the ballad won them the chip that year, it was absolutely gorgeous. They pushed the boundaries further a year or two later when they talked into a microphone for half the show. I caught them in Lafayette and I remember seeing a lot of shut up and play t shirts from the dinosaur crowd in attendance 

Agreed. The ballad was great. The uni's that year were also a unique concept and though I REALLY did not like them at the time, looking back on it now, they kind of fit the whole "Alice in Wonderland" vibe. The verbal drum break, even as a drummer was unique, but I did not really enjoy it too much. I know that's probably sacrilege and my official "I banged on stuff in DCI" membership privilege's will most likely be revoked. I guess I'll have to switch over to my "I marched with mylar" t-shirt. 

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agreed. The ballad was great. The uni's that year were also a unique concept and though I REALLY did not like them at the time, looking back on it now, they kind of fit the whole "Alice in Wonderland" vibe. The verbal drum break, even as a drummer was unique, but I did not really enjoy it too much. I know that's probably sacrilege and my official "I banged on stuff in DCI" membership privilege's will most likely be revoked. I guess I'll have to switch over to my "I marched with mylar" t-shirt. 

I know 2005 Cadets were a great corps.  I don't think it changed drum corps.  

I loved 2006 Cadets more and really wish they had not watered down the original show so much as the season progressed.  This is what happens when you substitute "daring" for "we want a higher placement."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Continental said:

I know 2005 Cadets were a great corps.  I don't think it changed drum corps.  

I loved 2006 Cadets more and really wish they had not watered down the original show so much as the season progressed.  This is what happens when you substitute "daring" for "we want a higher placement."

Agreed. But I DO think that it really played a part in cementing the overall theme show mentality to include props, visual architecture, uniform choice and music. Now whether we want to go down the rabbit hole (allusion intended) of body movement, etc is really up to the viewer. I only actually "think" about that stuff in a show if it completely confuses me as to what I am seeing happening on the field. 

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agreed. But I DO think that it really played a part in cementing the overall theme show mentality to include props, visual architecture, uniform choice and music. Now whether we want to go down the rabbit hole (allusion intended) of body movement, etc is really up to the viewer. I only actually "think" about that stuff in a show if it completely confuses me as to what I am seeing happening on the field. 

Somewhere on an eternal hard drive,  old hard drive, or USB key, I have the original 2006 show where History Repeating was the opening statement and White Rabbit was longer.   This is when DCI offered audio downloads from various shows in the season.  I will have to look for it.

• Like 1

The ballad; "Bjork".  If you've seen the movie, it's an even more incredible experience enjoying the interpretation & performance of "Overture to a New World".  (And the 'cut-time' battery arrangement!)  The movie is disturbing based on content & certainly not for everyone.  But it's a great story line & a really emotional adventure.     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:57 AM, Continental said:

Somewhere on an eternal hard drive,  old hard drive, or USB key, I have the original 2006 show where History Repeating was the opening statement and White Rabbit was longer.   This is when DCI offered audio downloads from various shows in the season.  I will have to look for it.

I remember that version of the show too. I believe I found it on LimeWire. Man oh man, the memories.

44 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I remember that version of the show too. I believe I found it on LimeWire. Man oh man, the memories.

There was an increase in Cadets bashing that year.   Hopkins' daughter as the lead, the White Rabbit's dialogue and the rest of the central characters with the microphones not to mention the pink picnic tables.

I know the Jethro Tull show wasn't popular, but 2006 Cadets increased the criticism against them.