Turning point - 2005 Cadetw

Mattn

2 hours ago, Continental said:

There was an increase in Cadets bashing that year.   Hopkins' daughter as the lead, the White Rabbit's dialogue and the rest of the central characters with the microphones not to mention the pink picnic tables.

I know the Jethro Tull show wasn't popular, but 2006 Cadets increased the criticism against them. 

But to be fair, Alice was probably pretty high the whole time. You can’t properly do an Alice in Wonderland show and it not be weird. The same could be said for Jethro Tull. Both shows were gonna be pretty strange no matter what.

And if the critics were loud in 2004 and 2006, they were deafening in 2007. “This, I Believe” just might be the most criticized drum corps show ever. Just imagine how much worse it would’ve been today with social media being what it is. 

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

And if the critics were loud in 2004 and 2006, they were deafening in 2007. “This, I Believe” just might be the most criticized drum corps show ever. Just imagine how much worse it would’ve been today with social media being what it is. 

Seems to me that the 2008 show was just as subject to criticism as 2007, and without the rave reviews of the 2007 hornline (often from the same critics).

What tips 2007 ahead of 2008 in the overall criticism caption is the hashmark incident.

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Seems to me that the 2008 show was just as subject to criticism as 2007, and without the rave reviews of the 2007 hornline (often from the same critics).

What tips 2007 ahead of 2008 in the overall criticism caption is the hashmark incident.

True. As awful and embarrassing as that night was, I sure would love to see a recording of it. Fortunately for Hopkins, this happened just before high def cameras on cell phones became the norm. 

And I think the 2008 show would’ve been slightly more palatable had it been done today. These days, Cadets could’ve used pre recorded professional voice actors instead of college kids with minimal voice training. 

Edited by crownisking

15 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

The ballad; "Bjork".  If you've seen the movie, it's an even more incredible experience enjoying the interpretation & performance of "Overture to a New World".  (And the 'cut-time' battery arrangement!)  The movie is disturbing based on content & certainly not for everyone.  But it's a great story line & a really emotional adventure.     

I describe it as the best movie you can only watch once. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, crownisking said:

True. As awful and embarrassing as that night was, I sure would love to see a recording of it. Fortunately for Hopkins, this happened just before high def cameras on cell phones became the norm. 

And I think the 2008 show would’ve been slightly more palatable had it been done today. These days, Cadets could’ve used pre recorded professional voice actors instead of college kids with minimal voice training. 

On the flip side, the kid who they had do the narration for 2014 was fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

On the flip side, the kid who they had do the narration for 2014 was fantastic.

He was great. However, by season’s end, the show was a cheese fest.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 6:18 AM, Mattn said:

This thread is about the performance of the 2005 cadets not anything having to do with the program. I watched the show again today and thought to myself is this really the show and year they changed drum Corps as we know? There was a door in the middle of the field we thought that It was crazy yet visual and GE we’re incredible of the show. The horns the drums all incredible..The horn progressions the sound tone all different from what we’ve ever heard. So I ask this community was this the turning point to modern frump corps?

I don't assess the 2005 Cadets show as a " turning point " in modern frumpiness at all... if this is really what you are asking us. I did not assess this 2005 Cadets as " frumpy " in any respect. Was " Frump Corps " a typo, or what  am I missing about this shows " frumpiness "?  The term " frump " means " an unattractive women who wears dowdy, old fashioned clothes ".

The 2005 Cadets show was a bit unusual, and different, but nothing really completely off the rails in weirdness, imo. Wonderful ballad. Interesting dream like context theme that worked... for me anyway. Marcher talent to make it work, and the corps was solid in all sections that year ,imo. Worthy Champion. Checked off all the boxes on the sheets that season, imo.  Nothing " frumpy " about the show or attire worn that season by the Cadets at all,... as near as I could tell anyway., imo  What might I be missing ?

Edited by Boss Anova

On 9/25/2021 at 10:57 AM, Continental said:

Somewhere on an eternal hard drive,  old hard drive, or USB key, I have the original 2006 show where History Repeating was the opening statement and White Rabbit was longer.   This is when DCI offered audio downloads from various shows in the season.  I will have to look for it.

Please do and PM me if you find it

On 9/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, Continental said:

There was an increase in Cadets bashing that year.   Hopkins' daughter as the lead, the White Rabbit's dialogue and the rest of the central characters with the microphones not to mention the pink picnic tables.

I know the Jethro Tull show wasn't popular, but 2006 Cadets increased the criticism against them. 

Plenty of sturm und drang within the staff and org as well.