Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Oh god, not more totally unmusical, terrible sounding high notes for the sake of high notes

As the saying goes, when in Indy, do as the Blue Devils do. Though fortunately, not a lot of theirs are terrible sounding. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I recall my favorite brass judge in the 70’s.  She was not a fan of screamers either.  

That wouldn't be the immortal Sandra Opie, would it?

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 10:27 AM, FTNK said:

Oh god, not more totally unmusical, terrible sounding high notes for the sake of high notes

You mean like SCV in 2018?  or 1992?  Yeah, I'm there too.

But then you also have SOA in '87.  Those screamers were completely necessary and part of the appeal of the song.  BD and Madison have always had screamers, but they were very deftly integrated into the chart, not added for effect.

Besides, screaming on a Bb trumpet is NOT the same as screaming on a G bugle.  🤯

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, karuna said:

Favorite drum corps intro of all time.  Yes -- the rest of the show never quite lived up to it.  But my god what a start.

Thanks for sharing.  I forgot how much I loved this...

On 2/25/2022 at 10:27 AM, FTNK said:

Sounds like a comment from a clarinet player who never attempted a brass instrument . 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Strongly believe that the trumpet in 2018 fit perfectly and was enjoyable. As for 2019, it felt out of place and cringe worthy.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 777hornman said:

Sounds like a comment from a clarinet player who never attempted a brass instrument . 

I am a clarinet player originally actually, but I marched tuba for 3 years so Idk

20 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

But then you also have SOA in '87.  Those screamers were completely necessary and part of the appeal of the song.  BD and Madison have always had screamers, but they were very deftly integrated into the chart, not added for effect.

Besides, screaming on a Bb trumpet is NOT the same as screaming on a G bugle.  🤯

8 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Strongly believe that the trumpet in 2018 fit perfectly and was enjoyable. As for 2019, it felt out of place and cringe worthy.

Yes, I really hated the 2019 SCV trumpet screamers and also how they awkwardly mugged for the cameras afterward

BD probably does it the best, but they do most everything the best

• Like 1