Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

On 4/19/2022 at 2:12 PM, karuna said:

Favorite drum corps intro of all time.  Yes -- the rest of the show never quite lived up to it.  But my god what a start.

Oh, absolutely - such a great kickoff!  it's still in my rotation.  The first half of the show through Danzon is awesome - for me it lost steam in the back half, and they never could quite nail the ending.  Can't deny the brass talent they had though.  

On 4/19/2022 at 4:08 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

That wouldn't be the immortal Sandra Opie, would it?

I nearly ran over Sandra when I was in 27. I had to scream so she got out of the way. I think she ticked me. 

• Haha 3

On 4/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, FTNK said:

I am a clarinet player originally actually, but I marched tuba for 3 years so Idk

Yes, I really hated the 2019 SCV trumpet screamers and also how they awkwardly mugged for the cameras afterward

BD probably does it the best, but they do most everything the best

Whenever I ask about Bloo after auditions, I always ask how many legit screamers they have. Two are necessary, three are good, four are great. As for BD doing it best … *wink.*

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

On 4/21/2022 at 12:55 PM, MikeN said:

Oh, absolutely - such a great kickoff!  it's still in my rotation.  The first half of the show through Danzon is awesome - for me it lost steam in the back half, and they never could quite nail the ending.  Can't deny the brass talent they had though.  

They fought brass timing errors due to ridiculous staging the entire season.  They never did get everything fixed.   And the fixes that were put in were more like small bandaids. The potential of that show early season was frightening.    

• Like 3

There are ten snares at Crown’s camp this weekend. I sure hope that doesn’t come back to bite them like it did with Boston a few years ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

1  of the 10 could be an alternate however...who knows.

True enough. The reduction to 9 snares was one of the better moves corps made years ago. It's amazing how much easier it is to listen center with one less snare. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sholeo said:

Did anybody go to April Camp and is willing to tell us their thoughts? I also saw that they switched to Evans heads...

Apparently a LOT of the hornline missing this camp.   OTOH the guard spent the entire camp learning work (which is a big change for Crown).   Show-wise this seems like an entirely new approach for Crown.  We'll see if they can pull it off.   Will NOT be an easy task.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, karuna said:

Apparently a LOT of the hornline missing this camp.

Yes.  There were a fair number that left before full ensemble to catch flights but there were still several out the entire weekend apparently.  I think they have a handful of  open positions too - maybe a half dozen or so.