Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

2 hours ago, Flguardman said:

I was not bothered by the laugh emojis.

No one should be. They're just emojis. It's not that deep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know I said I was taking a break from posting things but I was quoted so I want to make sure I get my side in. I didn’t take a break because of laughing emojis but rather that they were used on someone’s opinions who we know to be a judge. I said Henry was a BD fan based solely on previous interactions and I apologize for assuming that. The other one that laughed we all know is a supporter of BD. Again, I have said that most BD fans are nice and pleasant but that’s not the majority of what I had seen this year. I have thick skin and can handle things. But this is a summer activity that I look forward to every year and don’t need to see negativity for something I love deeply. I don’t think there needs to be any negativity about this activity as most on here have marched or at least auditioned and know what it takes to do this activity. These kids deserve all the praise in the world for doing this activity and negativity just undermines it, at least in my opinion. I’m taking a break because I wasn’t doing a good job either. I understand that. 

Anyways, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, most importantly the corps. Again, if anyone is going to nightbeat, I would love to meet some people from this community, so send me a DM and we can meet up before the show

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I know I said I was taking a break from posting things but I was quoted so I want to make sure I get my side in. I didn’t take a break because of laughing emojis but rather that they were used on someone’s opinions who we know to be a judge. I said Henry was a BD fan based solely on previous interactions and I apologize for assuming that. The other one that laughed we all know is a supporter of BD. Again, I have said that most BD fans are nice and pleasant but that’s not the majority of what I had seen this year. I have thick skin and can handle things. But this is a summer activity that I look forward to every year and don’t need to see negativity for something I love deeply. I don’t think there needs to be any negativity about this activity as most on here have marched or at least auditioned and know what it takes to do this activity. These kids deserve all the praise in the world for doing this activity and negativity just undermines it, at least in my opinion. I’m taking a break because I wasn’t doing a good job either. I understand that. 

Anyways, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, most importantly the corps. Again, if anyone is going to nightbeat, I would love to meet some people from this community, so send me a DM and we can meet up before the show

understand your position.  Hope you come back soon, I enjoy your comments.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

You don't need to apologize to me. I really started this. Please remember, we all share a common thing - our passion for this activity. I know, for me, sometimes the passion gets the better of me and I just want to shout at people when I don't think they hear me or they are wrong. 

Nothing I say is directed at the kids. I know they are all working their butts off. They have thick skin. I'm not sure what it's like to march today, but when I marched both other members and staff said much harsher things to me than I've see anyone on here say about these kids.

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

You don't need to apologize to me. I really started this. Please remember, we all share a common thing - our passion for this activity. I know, for me, sometimes the passion gets the better of me and I just want to shout at people when I don't think they hear me or they are wrong. 

Nothing I say is directed at the kids. I know they are all working their butts off. They have thick skin. I'm not sure what it's like to march today, but when I marched both other members and staff said much harsher things to me than I've see anyone on here say about these kids.

Coming off your long post I’d also lean more towards Vanguard, Boston, Cadets, Phantom in their approach, along with Crown, even though Bloo also has given me many enjoyable music programs in their shows as well. I think it’s a good question to ask this in a youthful way, does Crown have the sauce to win this year? As a fan of theirs, I have to say no. I’ve gotten a deeper emotional impact from Phantom, a more explosive sound from Vanguard, it’s so good live it’s awesome, more intricate set-up and design from Cadets if we wanna go there, along with a gorgeous horn solo that was one of the highlights of my night watching just last week. And with BD, I was looking forward to listening to them ‘cause I feel like they have a bit more of a variety in their production, with their pit and hornline especially. Even if I’m not fond of some of BD’s staple quirks and tropes, I can look past them when I hear their ballad, or their hornline blasting a little more than they typically do. We’ll see how Crown can diversify their approach a little more in their musical book, Im not really looking for them to do another further design spectacle and be super out there but just musically a bit more👀

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I would have responded to this earlier but DCP put me in a time out. Obviously, I need to work on expressing myself better, and communicating in a more thoughtful and kind way. I will try. I’m not always going to succeed but I will try.

Coming to the Crown thread and laughing at several comments (I’ll get to that below) does not make one a BD fan. I’m not sure why you, and possibly others, associate that with BD and think I’m a BD fan because of it. How does laughing at comments or being critical of Crown automatically make one a BD fan? I’ve never said I was a fan of BD, I’ve never said I like their show (although I believe it is the seasons best it’s not one of my favorites), and I don’t think I’ve even visited or posted in the 2022 BD thread. The only things I’ve ever said about BD this year are:

1. They have deserved everything they’ve gotten. This is true.
  2. Unless you (any corps) beat BD head-to-head you ain’t the leader. This is also true.
  3. They are the best corps in DCI. Yet another truth and it will be true as long as the path to the championship goes through Concord, which it has done every year since 2006.
  4. I believe they are going to win out this year.

Just because I believe all the above does not mean I am a BD fan. Classical music is my passion and BD doesn’t generally fit that mold. Even though I am more a fan of the activity than specific corps these days, I still consider my favorite corps to be Vanguard, Regiment, Cadets and believe it or not Crown. I know that’s hard to believe, because in all fairness I haven’t said anything positive about Crown this year (I’ll work to change that), and anytime one is critical of Crown they are seemingly deemed a hater by Crown fans. I understand why you all would think I’m a hater, as I admit I have done a very poor job in expressing my opinions in a non-nasty way (nasty to many of you, and nasty to Crown). But, why can’t one like something and be critical of it? I’m highly critical because I am massively frustrated that their design staff just doesn’t get what it takes to design a championship show and that frustration leads me to focus only on the negative and ignore the positive. They have the talent to win it all, but since 2015 they haven’t put out a design worthy of winning. I also get extremely frustrated when people try to diminish the success of a person or group of people (in this case BD) by claiming they win for any other reason than they are the best. Now, on to why I laugh at comments.

If one says something ridiculous, like “Brass & Guard judge lost their mind” I’m going to laugh at that, and when you said “here come the BD fans” I laughed because I’m not a BD fan and you are making inaccurate assumptions. However, I should not have laughed at your comment and I apologize for that. Now, back to judging. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again:

1. No one on this forum is qualified to judge all captions simultaneously. 
  2. 99+% of people on here aren’t even qualified to judge one caption, although many think they are. Marching for years doesn’t give one the experience, knowledge and expertise necessary to judge. Playing trumpet for 15 years and judging an entire brass line are two completely different things. Participating in drum corps does not make one qualified to judge it.
  3. Not even a qualified judge can judge all captions. For example, a brass judge may possibly be able to judge musical analysis and GE (from the music angle) in a pinch, but they certainly can’t judge percussion, guard, GE (from the visual angle), visual analysis, or visual proficiency (unless they have additional expertise), yet many posters here think they themselves can judge all captions, simultaneously. It’s absurd.
  4. No one, whether a qualified judge or not, can judge a performance from a stream. Saying the brass judge lost their mind based on a streaming performance makes no sense. The person saying that is not qualified to judge and even if they were we are not hearing the performance as we would were we in the stadium or down on the field. We’re hearing it streamed over the internet by a service that controls what we hear and how we hear it, and has frequent technical issues that impact the sound.
  5. I won’t even go into bias, but we all have bias and that certainly impacts our perception. It took me years to get over my anti-BD bias.

As long as people continue to be armchair judges, make outlandish comments regarding judging, and try to diminish BDs success by making comments like “Brass and Guard judge lost their mind” you will find me laughing. At this point, that is the best response.

Please don’t associate comments or laughs with a specific corps or fans of that corps, because you can be wrong, and in this case you are. It’s possible to not care for something and recognize its greatness (BD), and to also like something and recognize its shortcomings (Crown).

Lastly, I am truly sorry if I have contributed to you leaving this site. If you’re still here, please try not to take it all so seriously. Pot calling kettle black, I know, but I’m a work in progress. We all are. I take things so seriously that I just shoot off with the mouth before really taking the time to edit. Due to my time out and jetleg, I have had a while to work on this and edit it, and I think it’s better than what I’d normally shoot off with.

Props if you read all of this. I know it’s a lot, but I had a lot to say.

Although your comments have annoyed me at times and struck as a little more malicious than you see them as, I want to say I really, really appreciate your explanation, the sincerity of your apologies, and your efforts to improve.  That’s a good example for all of us.  

And as I have said before, no matter how much we bicker here on DCP, I believe most of us would like each other in person.  I suspect you and Incognito are no exception. 🙂

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1