Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

13 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I don't think I have ever seen a show illicit this much hostility towards it just because it is Crown. There is a reason it is scoring well. Maybe it is not what they want from Crown, but the show scores well and the music is fantastic, and the guard is amazing this year

Some people just don’t like certain shows. BD fans dealt with tons of hostility from DCPers from 2009-2013. A lot of people don’t like this new design team’s over the top style. You just gotta toughen up and deal with it. Let the scores speak for themselves 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Some people just don’t like certain shows. BD fans dealt with tons of hostility from DCPers from 2009-2013. A lot of people don’t like this new design team’s over the top style. You just gotta toughen up and deal with it. Let the scores speak for themselves 

We’re tough but doesn’t mean we have to silently agree. And the scores speak loudly for themselves. As of last night some of my favorite Devils (and I mean that I like them honestly) predicted SCV over Crown last night. 🤡 .. and the night before how Bluecoats were gonna top Crown. I think the BD hostility you mention is of a very different variety. Frankly everyone hates a winner. And BDs win .. this seems more personal and visceral. A serious desire to see Crown fail. JMO .. the members .. fans and judges seem to be satisfied with what Crown is doing. So off we go to Indy. 

1 minute ago, BWise said:

We’re tough but doesn’t mean we have to silently agree. And the scores speak loudly for themselves. As of last night some of my favorite Devils (and I mean that I like them honestly) predicted SCV over Crown last night. 🤡 .. and the night before how Bluecoats were gonna top Crown. I think the BD hostility you mention is of a very different variety. Frankly everyone hates a winner. And BDs win .. this seems more personal and visceral. A serious desire to see Crown fail. JMO .. the members .. fans and judges seem to be satisfied with what Crown is doing. So off we go to Indy. 

There were quite literal boos after BD’s performances and scores announcements during those years, with both DCPers and live crowds very much rooting against BD for the benefit of Crown who was often the main challenger. Atleast right now Crown has the support of the crowd. BD didn’t even have that. I think you are remembering those years with very different glasses than BD fans do. 

All I’m saying is that it’s totally valid to pushback against the criticism, but try not taking it so personally. You’ll be happier that way. Take a leaf out of Karuna’s hat and bless their hearts. 

And so what if some did predict SCV over Crown? Just have them eat their crow. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

There were quite literal boos after BD’s performances and scores announcements during those years, with both DCPers and live crowds very much rooting against BD for the benefit of Crown who was often the main challenger. Atleast right now Crown has the support of the crowd. BD didn’t even have that. I think you are remembering those years with very different glasses than BD fans do. 

All I’m saying is that it’s totally valid to pushback against the criticism, but try not taking it so personally. You’ll be happier that way. Take a leaf out of Karuna’s hat and bless their hearts. 

Great advice!   

Good things happened.  So I will simply say again:

Stay the course. Clean the snot out of every count. Good things will happen.

As for the upside down GE numbers:

Finals results will completely depend on who is on the panel.  We've seen Crown win GE and lose GE all season long.  What matters is the caption total.  If they want to play with numbers to "send a message" go ahead.  I just want that total.  When a show gets overwhelming crowd momentum, it becomes harder and harder to justify your opinion in the face of the effect performances are actually creating (see PR Spartacus).  

Be super clean.  Be incredible performers.  Excrete excellence from every pore in your body.  Strangely enough this was the BD formula until they went prop-happy (and to a large degree still is their formula). 

GE is a measure of the degree to which a production engages and sustains the viewer's attention.  It's not really rocket science at all.  It's a simple idea:  "Is this all 'working'?" 

This. Show. Works.  👑 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, wigwam said:

Great advice!   

Agreed.

Plus .. one more show and I’m there live. So really no need at that point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, karuna said:

Good things happened.  So I will simply say again:

Stay the course. Clean the snot out of every count. Good things will happen.

As for the upside down GE numbers:

Finals results will completely depend on who is on the panel.  We've seen Crown win GE and lose GE all season long.  What matters is the caption total.  If they want to play with numbers to "send a message" go ahead.  I just want that total.  When a show gets overwhelming crowd momentum, it becomes harder and harder to justify your opinion (see PR Spartacus) in the face of the effect performances are actually creating.  

Be super clean.  Be incredible performers.  Excrete excellence from every pore in your body.  Strangely enough this was the BD formula until they went prop-happy (and to a large degree still is their formula). 

GE is a measure of the degree to which a production engages and sustains the viewer's attention.  It's not really rocket science at all.  It's a simple idea:  "Is this all 'working'?" 

This. Show. Works.  👑 

I’m already excited and I don’t leave for three more days. (Child at heart)
Yeah the GE is interesting … opinion in its highest form. While I was concerned particularly around Murfreesboro.. the show just seemed to be gettting bogged down on itself almost like quicksand  .. they’ve seemed to have pulled free from that in the last couple of shows and it’s starting to sparkle.  Which I really like. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BWise said:

I’m already excited and I don’t leave for three more days. (Child at heart)
Yeah the GE is interesting … opinion in its highest form. While I was concerned particularly around Murfreesboro.. the show just seemed to be gettting bogged down on itself almost like quicksand  .. they’ve seemed to have pulled free from that in the last couple of shows and it’s starting to sparkle.  Which I really like. 

It’s definitely improving. They looked great last night!  Much cleaner. Energy. It’s going to be a haul to challenge BD, but they should try to give it a go. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

People had intense reactions to the Cavaliers in the 2000s too. People were so mad about the original music and the visual drill.  It was different for that time, and their GE was clearly on a different level that every other corp. 

Crown is doing something different too. It’s clearly the crowd favorite. And it could win still. It’s going to be tough, but it’s got the elements to compete for #1 and Crown has the most room for growth in their scoring over the other corps who are already performing their shows nearly perfectly. If Crown walks into Indy as clean as BD, they could win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

People had intense reactions to the Cavaliers in the 2000s too. People were so mad about the original music and the visual drill.  It was different for that time, and their GE was clearly on a different level that every other corp. 

Crown is doing something different too. It’s clearly the crowd favorite. And it could win still. It’s going to be tough, but it’s got the elements to compete for #1 and Crown has the most room for growth in their scoring over the other corps who are already performing their shows nearly perfectly. If Crown walks into Indy as clean as BD, they could win.

Not too sure about the "most room for growth" part. Based off of Allentown recaps, Crown is outperforming their content in GE (3 out of 4 judges indicated this), colorguard, and brass. 

In contrast, BD is outperforming their content in GE (1 judge out of 4 indicated this) and... that's it. 

There's been talk on this thread about Crown needing to continue to clean on the visual side but by the recap, they're about as clean as BD is (tied with BD in visual proficiency performance).

It could certainly depend on the judges we see at finals, but I'm willing to bet a few faces from Allentown will be judging finals night. I'm not saying Crown has maxed the show out, just saying that the numbers seem to indicate they're as clean if not cleaner than everyone else in the top 4