Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

4 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Audience participation isn’t just cheering at the end. I do like that part of Bloo’s show, and that’s about it, but a keytar solo isn’t really inviting audience participation

That’s sort of the point. It isn’t inviting it. It gets it.

The idea that the crowd contributes to the show CONTENT is not new. And they made a good run at it, it just doesn’t work. And when your entire show concept IS audience involvement…

What I do think was the really big mistake is not changing it. They just kept rolling the same thing out night after night with the same results. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

The idea that the crowd contributes to the show CONTENT is not new. And they made a good run at it, it just doesn’t work.

There is a very clear difference though between audience reaction (which isn't built into the show) and audience participation (which is what the show is built around). By your description, every show would have audience participation which isn't necessarily the truth here. A writer/designer can write a part for audience reaction and not get what they want out of it, just as well as they can for audience participation and not get the same. The situation at hand is that of the latter. The Crown team wanted audience participation and they simply just aren't getting it at the level they wanted.

Tonight might tell a different story though, with it being the last show of the season, and that could very well make the difference as it did with Phantom 2008. Difference is that Crown won't be able to pull off that 1st place finish, because it is already written in the stars for the Blue Devils. They could pull up to 3rd or possibly 2nd if the crowd buys into the show and backs them up, but the likelihood of that happening is yet to be foreseen.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Should’ve called it “Seinfeld.”

The Best Response all season!!!

Automatic induction into DCP, CrownTHREAD hall of fame🏆

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I was thinking about this last night after Bluecoats leapt forward with a show that brought down the house. A lot of things can be said about drill a design and props. But to me it may come down to one simple fact:

If your show DEPENDS upon crowd involvement—you’d better have one hell of a show concept. Because if your show requires audience members to clap and chant phrases from the literal beginning to end, you are taking one hell of a risk. This idea simply falls flat. Because people do not participate. It’s awkward and cheesy.

Crown needs to focus on what they do best and trust that. And stop pushing so much cheese and crap onto the field.

Inferno. Do another one of those. Please.

Mike .. I really do not even think Inferno would come close to winning. DCI has just moved into such a different place .. which I don’t think includes grand sweeping mega Drum Corps shows with those story lines.  I love what Boston is doing and tonight will tell if that type of show is highly rewarded. Just a week ago the chatter was about BAC beating BDs and now they have to fight it out with Bloo. Survey says from my arena of non-experts Bloo is t’ed up for silver.  But we’ll see. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1

Good sign: The Crown souvie booth had to put up that crowd control rope maze for all those fans wanting Crown swag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My theater barely reacted at all during Big Loud and Live but gasps and laughter were heard all over when Crown freaking rickrolled us. One of the highlights of the night.

5 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

The Crown team wanted audience participation and they simply just aren't getting it at the level they wanted.

They had a good audience participation in Allentown where the corps was really getting the audience engaged preshow.  They haven’t been able to get that level of engagement in Indy.  The sound system issue delaying them yesterday didn’t help any either.  I think it will be difficult for them to overtake BAC or Bloo tonight but a really full house with a shorter day for the fans may help the crowd energy.  Sometimes I think they should have just made the app a light show like some college games and concerts do.  That might would be more interesting to fans because it is more passive participation than what they’ve been trying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Good sign: The Crown souvie booth had to put up that crowd control rope maze for all those fans wanting Crown swag. 

I'm hoping they restock the CrownStore. I've tried twice in the last month to order a tour shirt and they've been out of stock both times. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, BWise said:

Mike .. I really do not even think Inferno would come close to winning. DCI has just moved into such a different place .. which I don’t think includes grand sweeping mega Drum Corps shows with those story lines.  I love what Boston is doing and tonight will tell if that type of show is highly rewarded. Just a week ago the chatter was about BAC beating BDs and now they have to fight it out with Bloo. Survey says from my arena of non-experts Bloo is t’ed up for silver.  But we’ll see. 

Inferno was a story.

E=mc2 was a story.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The idea that the crowd contributes to the show CONTENT is not new. And they made a good run at it, it just doesn’t work. And when your entire show concept IS audience involvement…

What I do think was the really big mistake is not changing it. They just kept rolling the same thing out night after night with the same results. 

Yeah, Mr. Rapp, Crown has had this type of problem before. I'm thinking of 2014 where the design just seems immutable or they didn't know how effectively change it. In that show, the trampolines just seemed too of an obstacle to do good drill/design changes. Maybe that me, but I agree with you, they need to allow their music choices and design draw the audience in. They did a wonderful job of this in 2015. Very few bells and whistle but the music did the talking and it was wonderful symphonic classical music from the brass.