Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

1 hour ago, arabica said:

Was it the segment critiquing BK's diagonal coverdowns? If so, I remember [and took to heart] the exact same part! 😄

I think it was about Glassmen and the forms collapsing in on themselves in certain curvilinear forms. I honestly and truly can't remember who it was. I just remember the discussion they had of it. I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t know that half of the fabric did anything for GE. Esp the sloppy red ribbon that tied members together. Just another thing for the kids to worry about.

Yea. They could have lost the red ribbons.  I don’t think they added anything. But honestly, I could say the same thing for other shows. I still don’t know what BDs show was about or why stairs were part of it.  Nor do I know what cones had to do with Boston’s show. IMO, Bluecoats we’re the only ones with props that tied to their theme, which they usually do a good job with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Yea. They could have lost the red ribbons.  I don’t think they added anything. But honestly, I could say the same thing for other shows. I still don’t know what BDs show was about or why stairs were part of it.  Nor do I know what cones had to do with Boston’s show. IMO, Bluecoats we’re the only ones with props that tied to their theme, which they usually do a good job with.

Boston’s cones represented trees in the Garden of Eden. Maybe they should have been green.

Edited by MikeRapp

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Boston’s cones represented trees in the Garden of Eden. Maybe they should have been green.

Oh.  The story I invented was a plane crashed on an island and people took over and destroyed the untouched land. Guess I was wayyyy off. Ha. 

For SCV, I figured their show was about city folk during the pandemic who turned to yoga. So their skyscraper props turned into healing crystals as they did their final meditation.  If that’s what it was, it was pretty brilliant idea. 

1 hour ago, NewArpege said:

My gripe with the Bluecoats props were pretty simple...what did the Cadillac Ranch have to do with the storyline? The story took place in L.A. and the Cadillac Ranch is in Texas. Pretty confused on that front. Other than that, the props made sense. Props in DCI are starting to be a little more outlandish, and have no ties to the show whatsoever. 

Blue Devils and their stairs.

Crown and their playground equipment.

SCV and their Vox Eversio 2.0 props.

Blue Stars and their sleigh beds.

Phantom and their odd fashion runway (wait, is that what the show was really about? No walk in designer clothes is too far?).

There are still props that make sense on the field, but the majority of them just make zero sense to me anymore. Also, what is going on with the useless tarps on the field that really don't do much visually other than add color (when there isn't a glare from the stadium lights shinning off them)? From a designer standpoint, it seems to me like the top high school bands in the nation are starting to push the envelope more than drum corps anymore.

SCVs props from 2019 and 2022 are pretty reminiscent of Broken Arrows from 2015. 

Blue Devils stairs from 2022 and Cadets stairs from 2019 remind me of Blue Springs from 2018 (albeit theirs did not move). 

Troopers show literally was mirrored from Avon 2015 thematically and visually.

BACs cones have been done as well, but I can't quite put my finger on them.

We have high school marching bands portraying flight (Flower Mound 2016), portraying a romeo and juliet story told from inside a fishtank with lifesize working fishtank props (Avon 2018), exploding nuclear reactors (Leander 2019), working (rotating) oil drills and rigs (Avon 2015), working water fountains (Russell, Ky 2019 [not exactly a leader in the activity, but I was extremely impressed with that when I saw it at Grand Nationals]), and insert any high school bands name here and their use of lights. I haven't seen anything like these from drum corps, but rather much more of the same. Tarps, stages, stairs, ladders, beds, and abstract props that look like they belong in the Museum of Modern Art. Granted we see more bands in our local areas trying to portray what they see corps doing, but the top notch marching bands in the nation are becoming true leaders when it comes to design. I'm just not understanding the visual design thought process from these DCI designers anymore. Why the monotony? Why more of the same? Why not take risks and be different? The last true risk taken that we have seen was Bluecoats in 2016.

Sorry guys, what started out as a simple reply turned into a rant of mass proportions. Please forgive me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZTWright said:

My gripe with the Bluecoats props were pretty simple...what did the Cadillac Ranch have to do with the storyline? The story took place in L.A. and the Cadillac Ranch is in Texas. Pretty confused on that front. Other than that, the props made sense. Props in DCI are starting to be a little more outlandish, and have no ties to the show whatsoever. 

Phantom and their odd fashion runway (wait, is that what the show was really about? No walk in designer clothes is too far?).

There are still props that make sense on the field, but the majority of them just make zero sense to me anymore. Also, what is going on with the useless tarps on the field that really don't do much visually other than add color (when there isn't a glare from the stadium lights shinning off them)? From a designer standpoint, it seems to me like the top high school bands in the nation are starting to push the envelope more than drum corps anymore.

SCVs props from 2019 and 2022 are pretty reminiscent of Broken Arrows from 2015. 

Blue Devils stairs from 2022 and Cadets stairs from 2019 remind me of Blue Springs from 2018 (albeit theirs did not move). 

We have high school marching bands portraying flight (Flower Mound 2016), portraying a romeo and juliet story told from inside a fishtank with lifesize working fishtank props (Avon 2018), exploding nuclear reactors (Leander 2019), working (rotating) oil drills and rigs (Avon 2015), working water fountains (Russell, Ky 2019 [not exactly a leader in the activity, but I was extremely impressed with that when I saw it at Grand Nationals]), and insert any high school bands name here and their use of lights. I haven't seen anything like these from drum corps, but rather much more of the same. Tarps, stages, stairs, ladders, beds, and abstract props that look like they belong in the Museum of Modern Art. Granted we see more bands in our local areas trying to portray what they see corps doing, but the top notch marching bands in the nation are becoming true leaders when it comes to design. I'm just not understanding the visual design thought process from these DCI designers anymore. Why the monotony? Why more of the same? Why not take risks and be different? The last true risk taken that we have seen was Bluecoats in 2016.

Sorry guys, what started out as a simple reply turned into a rant of mass proportions. Please forgive me.

Actually the story took place in someone’s head.  In dreams people and places and things are always shifting.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ZTWright said:

Something I did notice about HS groups is that they are quite colorful, and that their props usually evoke their show theme more directly than abstractly and are quite obvious to the spectator, which I don’t think is a bad thing haha. I’m kinda tired of seeing gray/white metallic cages at this point😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZTWright said:

100% agree about the meaningless props.  I’m amused by people who keep saying the show should tell a story and Crowns didn’t stick to one thing.  Most of these shows didn’t tell a story nor use coherent props.  The designs are all over the place. Now that doesn’t mean I disliked the shows — many were great.  It is what it is. 

19 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

A designer has 12 minutes to build and deliver their story. Don’t waste 20% of it on a big tarp that people stick their heads through.

And if you have the best brass arranger in the business, don’t spend part of your third act having them wave a ###### flag around on the back line.

Or finish off the show with one of the best hornlines in the business screaming vocals instead of blasting us with their horns 

• Like 2