Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

20 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

At the risk of sounding completely naïve , what exactly was the app used for/what was going on in it during Crown’s show?  And no, this is absolutely not an attempt at trolling - I genuinely am interested in knowing, since I didn’t use it during a show this season (please read on).

I loved Crown’s show this year - such an incredible amount of energy!  One of my favorite shows of the season.  I wanted to watch the show itself last night at LOS, instead of checking out the app during their performance.

I thought the ballad alone was one of the most memorable parts of the entire DCI season!

Congratulations on a great season, and looking forward to seeing what’s in store for 2023!

I just turned the app on and held the phone.  I didn’t pay attention to it but it does flash the camera light during parts of it so I thought it would be cool for the performers. / finals video when you can see the crowd.

In totality .. there was a lot fabric in a lot of shows .. and the tarp and fabric vendors seemed to really push the digital print material .. cheaper .. easy to transport etc. Leaving it laying around on the field was a slop fest  Subel to me is still stuck in Winter Guard visual that fails at scaling to the big field.. and frankly it doesn’t work with Jeff’s drill .. imo.

You can take any show and grind it into the ground and on really close analysis you could say none of them make any sense. I say just perform what you want and skip all the esoterica of the show explanations. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 2

So amid all the conspiracy theories and tied placements. 
What if DCI were judged like ice skating (another artistic sport).. the judges punch their numbers in and you get a score after each performance. I guess their technical scores are more codified.. but maybe a crazy idea. Ppl would lose their minds I think. 
I only say this as I have been schooled that the numbers go into the scoring system tabulated and that is it .. I’ve never got a clear answer on when the numbers get entered into the device just a curiosity .. but they would judge it as they see it and less relatively to each other. Then it truly is just the numbers .. simple math. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BWise said:

So amid all the conspiracy theories and tied placements. 
What if DCI were judged like ice skating (another artistic sport).. the judges punch their numbers in and you get a score after each performance. I guess their technical scores are more codified.. but maybe a crazy idea. Ppl would lose their minds I think. 
I only say this as I have been schooled that the numbers go into the scoring system tabulated and that is it .. I’ve never got a clear answer on when the numbers get entered into the device just a curiosity .. but they would judge it as they see it and less relatively to each other. Then it truly is just the numbers .. simple math. 

I’ve thought about that, as a hedge to the subjectivity of it all, but also realize that the beauty of that system in ice skating or gymnastics is in the relative simplicity of measuring one athlete with a written set of expectations. While marching arts are actually more regimented (an athlete can choose to under or over rotate, whereas theoretically a performer can’t choose not to achieve set 52 or whatever), imagine the complexity of that show synopsis from each section. The screen would be filled with what coming up next, “left handed roll in snares”, “traveling five-tuplets in the bass line”, “sixteenth run in upper brass”, “cold attack on turn around in lower brass”, “rifle 7 with backhanded catch in Demi”, etc. etc. - and that’s would be for one 3 second moment, and would continue on and on for 11 minutes. 

would be amazingly hysterical to attempt! 🙂

or, we just need to re-standardize on what General Effect actually means. And no, I’m not sure that’s easier, but - we need those sheets to modernize as fast as the activity is. 

• Like 2

A couple of days out from Saturday nite now, I’ll say this about Crown 2022.

Generally, I find it difficult to enjoy re-watch or listens so soon after season’s end. More often than not I’m a little bummed on placements, scratching my head over green shirt numbers or just a little over the show at this point.

Not so this year. Somebody had posted the Flo finals broadcast on YouTube by the time I headed out to church Sun. a.m. I got a little choked up again! With a rerun!!!

At least for me, no criticism—and I’ll readily concede some to be legit and accurate—or absence of awards will undermine my appreciation and enjoyment of RHRN.

It will age well with me, that’s for sure

Has anyone been able to find any backfield videos of Crown's show at FINALS showing the app lights and colors?

7 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Has anyone been able to find any backfield videos of Crown's show at FINALS showing the app lights and colors?

There’s one from 2019, for the last minute of the show that’s—at least visually—outstanding, floating ‘round YouTube.

Would love to see one for RHRN, with the app👍

• Like 2