Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

40 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Doesn’t matter that Crown won MA. They would have won brass too. Crown beat Boston’s brass by .4 in BA and the doubled up score for MA only had crown with a .2 advantage in the brass sub-caption. So if we apply the BA brass spread then Crown gains another .2 points and opens the lead up. Pretty simple math to understand that not having brass hurt Crown in that the lead could have been bigger last night

Dude, as a former marching member and DCI instructor, I have been reading and understanding recaps for more than 40 years, so no worries.....I get the simple math.  But I would suggest that the few tenths you think you missed out on last night pales in comparison to some other captions.   In the DCI scoring system, tenths of points can come and go simply with the changing of the panel.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, craiga said:

Dude, as a former marching member and DCI instructor, I have been reading and understanding recaps for more than 40 years, so no worries.....I get the simple math.  But I would suggest that the few tenths you think you missed out on last night pales in comparison to some other captions.   In the DCI scoring system, tenths of points can come and go simply with the changing of the panel.  

People also have to remember the music and visual caption scores add up to a max 120 and then cut in half. They focus on losing by 0.4 in brass, but forget it's really only 0.2 in the final score.

52 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

People also have to remember the music and visual caption scores add up to a max 120 and then cut in half. They focus on losing by 0.4 in brass, but forget it's really only 0.2 in the final score.

Ppl remember and you want your strengths fully counted. The original statement “it does not matter at all” is simply false. BAC loves the plus up .. of course

I don’t even know why these BAC fan boys come over here picking these fights. They have some raw nerve about Crown .. I guess because they’ve bought the best of everything and still can’t medal. And have never won a medal ever .. period. I do not understand what Crown has to do with this other than it’s a Crown V2.0 show .. and the we need to worry about other captions is tasteless and pompous  .. which is 99% of my rub with BAC constant baseless self promotion  .. so hate me for that but it’s just the truth  I’ve never even been in the BAC forum and don’t care to be  .. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BWise said:

Ppl remember and you want your strengths fully counted. The original statement “it does not matter at all” is simply false. BAC loves the plus up .. of course

I don’t even know why these BAC fan boys come over here picking these fights. They have some raw nerve about Crown .. I guess because they’ve bought the best of everything and still can’t medal. And have never won a medal ever .. period. I do not understand what Crown has to do with this other than it’s a Crown V2.0 show .. and the we need to worry about other captions is tasteless and pompous  .. which is 99% of my rub with BAC constant baseless self promotion  .. so hate me for that but it’s just the truth  I’ve never even been in the BAC forum and don’t care to be  .. 

Wow.....for the record, I have never criticized Crown nor it's show.  Not once, not ever.  In fact, I congratulate them after each show.  I am not a fan boy nor am I obsessed with Crown. I commented only with regard to one missing judge last night and how you guys were in first anyway.

I clearly touched a nerve so I will apologize.  I was legitimately trying to make a point about the scoring system based on decades of experience in the marching arts.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, craiga said:

Wow.....for the record, I have never criticized Crown nor it's show.  Not once, not ever.  In fact, I congratulate them after each show.  I am not a fan boy nor am I obsessed with Crown. I commented only with regard to one missing judge last night and how you guys were in first anyway.

I clearly touched a nerve so I will apologize.  I was legitimately trying to make a point about the scoring system based on decades of experience in the marching arts.  

I don't think he meant anything by it, just frustrated, as the rest of us are, with certain fanbases that we have had to deal with for a few seasons now constantly coming after our favorite. It's only ever Crown they come after hard, and it's really gotten old. 

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, craiga said:

But I would suggest that the few tenths you think you missed out on last night pales in comparison to some other captions.  

Are you meaning you think other captions were underscored or as I took it , Crown should be more worried their weaker captions and the score gaps there? 

24 minutes ago, craiga said:

Craig I replied elsewhere but I took you to mean Crown should be worried about their other under performing captions and not the couple of tenths in brass. Apologies if you did not

You might not see it here but there are a ton of BAC folks constantly gunning at Crown .. I mean big time. And I only can conclude it is due to the old Crown staff being at BAC .. and they are obsessed obnoxious and are mean spirited. You can’t say anything positive about any Corps without someone jumping in with “what about Boston”. And it’s getting to a point where ppl just don’t like Boston .. which is unfortunate that the fans and alums are tarnishing some good achievements.. it’s a real thing. I’m serious. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BWise said:

Craig I replied elsewhere but I took you to mean Crown should be worried about their other under performing captions and not the couple of tenths in brass. Apologies if you did not

You might not see it here but there are a ton of BAC folks constantly gunning at Crown .. I mean big time. And I only can conclude it is due to the old Crown staff being at BAC .. and they are obsessed obnoxious and are mean spirited. You can’t say anything positive about any Corps without someone jumping in with “what about Boston”. And it’s getting to a point where ppl just don’t like Boston .. which is unfortunate that the fans and alums are tarnishing some good achievements.. it’s a real thing. I’m serious. 

It really is. I have people I've known for years pop-up as BAC fans and actually stop talking to me because I'm a Crown fan. I didn't even know what to say to that. Ending 20 years of friendship over drum corps? Really? Let alone the run-in I had with a lady at a gas station after the NKY show in 2017. It has been absolutely ridiculous to be a Crown fan these last few seasons. Sure, we were ###### initially about the poaching of the staff, but we are fine now. If you ask any Crown fan, they'll be the first to say they're glad so and so left because the corps is in a better place, and less monotony when it comes to design. May have been some flops, but we survived. I mean, Beast finished 4th and that was a #### show of design. It's literally a matter of realizing that Crown isn't the only corps infront of you.

2017 Crown was nowhere near you in placement, two corps between them, and had a 4 point lead.

2018 Crown was ahead by almost a point and a half.

2019 there was another whole corps between the two AND a 2 point difference.

Focus on things at home before you want to come after a corps that was in the next tier above you. This year is different, but it's still much of the same. Not to mention that even though there were no judges in 2021, and the fact that Crown didn't even go to Indy, they were STILL talking smack. Like y'all, GET A GRIP HERE!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Different topic Health and Safety:

I notice a lot of Corps with serious holes I assume mostly due to Covid. And properly those Corps are not marching sick kids. 
Conversely .. I see some (even top 4) corps marching 100% no holes. Are we to assume they are immune or are sick kids on the field? I know this is an individual corps protocol .. but it makes me wonder what is going on .. professional sports taught us you can’t ensure a bubble and really hope sick kids are not being put on the field in Texas heat. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

It's time to panic about percussion and make changes.

This has been a problem with Crown for 10+ years now. 

The difference in percussion alone is why they didn't come home with a gold medal in 2015. It would also have brought them within .1 of the championship in 2012 and 2016- and adding to the argument that percussion is included within music analysis, GE2, etc....Crown could have 4 gold medals instead of 1.

There were some issues outside of percussion in 2017-2019 but as we can see Crown is still very much relevant and competitive.

They will not win the championship in 2022 scoring 7th in percussion. It's not going to happen. 

Edit: my autocorrect is the worst.

I disagree. This has been a running thing for a while with people saying Crowns percussion is causing so many issues or holding the corps back (I’m generalizing comments here) from winning. Let me be clear, this Crown line is crazy good. Stupidly good. The problem is, I would probably say the top 10 maybe even 12-13 corps have GREAT lines with the top 5-6 having truly elite ridiculous lines. The reason that’s such an issue is because of how judging scores these lines. DCI judges try to never tie groups in the sub captions. They try to rank groups and give an appropriate spread (again generalizing here) which naturally means if you have 5 or 6 groups that are truly elite, are you going to fit all 5 or 6 in the 8.9-9.0 range that they realistically probably are? Or are you going to rank them and give them 9.0, 8.9, 8.8, 8.7 and 8.6 like what was done in Broken Arrow? With that happening, the “weak” line is going to have an overall percussion score of 17.2 versus the top 18.0. Is there really THAT big of a difference between those lines? In DCI scoring yes, but go out there and actually listen and watch for yourself and you’ll see just how good all of them are.

I’ve been to a couple shows now live, and seen the lots for BD, Boston, Crown, Vanguard and Bluecoats. I went to those lots with 4 other percussion guys and the only thing we all agreed on was Boston and BD have probably the best lines this year but all of us disagreed on the 3rd, 4th and 5th rankings. Granted this is basing off the lots NOT the field which can change stuff but still.

Either way, if you’re a percussion guy, this is up there with one of the best years for DCI percussion, if not THE best. And Crown’s line is definitely in that grouping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1