Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

5 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Thank you for the status report, yeah from what I have seen I completely agree on the brass not playing around. I can't wait to hear chandelier on the field, I know it sounds amazing on the field when the right ensemble does the right arrangement of it, and from what I have seen they have an awesome arrangement of it. Can't wait to hear and see more as the summer goes on.  

They've got a chandelier on the field?  And I thought the trampolines were bad... :whistle:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Thank you for the status report, yeah from what I have seen I completely agree on the brass not playing around. I can't wait to hear chandelier on the field, I know it sounds amazing on the field when the right ensemble does the right arrangement of it, and from what I have seen they have an awesome arrangement of it. Can't wait to hear and see more as the summer goes on.  

It's loud and it's great. I will say, the mellophones are the strongest section right now. I don't know the last time the mellos were the strongest section but there are some studs. There were some holes in the trumpets and baritones last night as well so that doesn't help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

It's loud and it's great. I will say, the mellophones are the strongest section right now. I don't know the last time the mellos were the strongest section but there are some studs. There were some holes in the trumpets and baritones last night as well so that doesn't help.

Yeah those mellos are really strong this year indeed. I really wanted to hear them soar on this piece. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sensioto said:

Thanks for the report! Good stuff.

In regard to Part 2 having so many notes, 1) THAT's saying something and 2) Can you speak to whether they are melodic and meaningful notes or are they just notes for notes sake? It's a bummer to me when notes are just crammed into a book for technical proficiency and don't really mean much. I am really intrigued by the original compositions making up such a substantial portion of this show. 

Also, is the staging different compared to 2019's lopsided setup or unique at all? I know corps have been experimenting with various staging for years now. 

I know these questions will be answered in just a matter of weeks, but I am so overly-excited for competitive drum corps to return! 🙂

Field is set up traditionally. Pit at the front on the sideline. Using a lot of the field with some props and drill. 

Part 2 has a lot of notes, some melodic, some for the same of showing off how stacked the brass line is this year. It did not offend me and it was tasteful.

I will say this, I cannot really pinpoint what they are trying to accomplish with the show, but I have not even seen half of the show so I am sure it will make more sense later on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Field is set up traditionally. Pit at the front on the sideline. Using a lot of the field with some props and drill. 

Part 2 has a lot of notes, some melodic, some for the same of showing off how stacked the brass line is this year. It did not offend me and it was tasteful.

I will say this, I cannot really pinpoint what they are trying to accomplish with the show, but I have not even seen half of the show so I am sure it will make more sense later on.

That last paragraph concerns me with the show title too .. love me some Crown but venturing into ambiguity has not served them well .. you know the “ I like it .. but don’t know what it is “ feeling? .. no “It Is” pun intended. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, BWise said:

That last paragraph concerns me with the show title too .. love me some Crown but venturing into ambiguity has not served them well .. you know the “ I like it .. but don’t know what it is “ feeling? .. no “It Is” pun intended. 

It’s the first week of a June, let’s not quite press the panic button yet. I’m sure they’re still in teaching mode. Heading out there tonight to see what they’ve got. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On one of those repertoire wish lists several years ago, I requested they do Chandelier thinking there would be no way they'd ever do it.  Glad I was wrong. 

Was able to see the kids last night. As I suspected they are still deep in learning mode. I don’t know much about guard work so all I can really say is that they have a lot of guard members on the field. Brass and battery have talent, both remind me of the 2019 corps, though the hornlne seems a bit younger. It’s really difficult to get a good read on the show as they only ran through the third movement and a small part of movement 2. But they have at least three movements on the field with one to go. My guess is they will be done teaching the show in the next week and a half. There are a LOT of notes in this show. It follows along the same genre of shows we’ve seen from Carolina crown over the past five years. Avant-garde with a bit of accessibility. It’s tough for me to really gauge how the show is going to do competitively, but my guess is that general effect is still going to be a bit of a challenge. The show is good, and fun! But I think some audiences are probably going to struggle with it as they have the past several years. Again, this is an initial take at the beginning of June so I hope they give me the opportunity to eat my words. Does this corps have the talent to compete for a championship? Absolutely. Does the show design give them the vehicle to compete for a championship? I’m not sure. But I’m excited to see where they go with this. Should be a fun year.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1