Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

3 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Thanks for the update!  I think there are five total movements with Tocatta being the last  but you might be right. 

Love this movement; that transition to the piano/keyboards @1:47...

"We lucky few..."

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Was able to see the kids last night. As I suspected they are still deep in learning mode. I don’t know much about guard work so all I can really say is that they have a lot of guard members on the field. Brass and battery have talent, both remind me of the 2019 corps, though the hornlne seems a bit younger. It’s really difficult to get a good read on the show as they only ran through the third movement and a small part of movement 2. But they have at least three movements on the field with one to go. My guess is they will be done teaching the show in the next week and a half. There are a LOT of notes in this show. It follows along the same genre of shows we’ve seen from Carolina crown over the past five years. Avant-garde with a bit of accessibility. It’s tough for me to really gauge how the show is going to do competitively, but my guess is that general effect is still going to be a bit of a challenge. The show is good, and fun! But I think some audiences are probably going to struggle with it as they have the past several years. Again, this is an initial take at the beginning of June so I hope they give me the opportunity to eat my words. Does this corps have the talent to compete for a championship? Absolutely. Does the show design give them the vehicle to compete for a championship? I’m not sure. But I’m excited to see where they go with this. Should be a fun year.

Ugh, I was hoping not to hear that from you. I'm very nervous about the show design.

9 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Was able to see the kids last night. As I suspected they are still deep in learning mode. I don’t know much about guard work so all I can really say is that they have a lot of guard members on the field. Brass and battery have talent, both remind me of the 2019 corps, though the hornlne seems a bit younger. It’s really difficult to get a good read on the show as they only ran through the third movement and a small part of movement 2. But they have at least three movements on the field with one to go. My guess is they will be done teaching the show in the next week and a half. There are a LOT of notes in this show. It follows along the same genre of shows we’ve seen from Carolina crown over the past five years. Avant-garde with a bit of accessibility. It’s tough for me to really gauge how the show is going to do competitively, but my guess is that general effect is still going to be a bit of a challenge. The show is good, and fun! But I think some audiences are probably going to struggle with it as they have the past several years. Again, this is an initial take at the beginning of June so I hope they give me the opportunity to eat my words. Does this corps have the talent to compete for a championship? Absolutely. Does the show design give them the vehicle to compete for a championship? I’m not sure. But I’m excited to see where they go with this. Should be a fun year.

But how did the ballad sound?

For all the hand wringing about the design, I would ask you to wait for your conclusion about doom and gloom until after the season starts.  First off from what I have seen the precussion, brass, and guard will all contend to win their captions, not saying they will but the writing and talent will put all of them in the hunt.  Crown has not had that ever, so this group is already ahead of previous Crown groups in the last 10 years.  Also, things Crown struggled with in 2019 have been cured [visually and guard wise].  Visually the drill is fantastic and so is the choreography.  The choreography is very good and modern and should eliminate SCV, Bloo, and Bd advantages.  The guard is looking fantastic and staged 100% better than in 2019, which for sure should add some GE points.  The design team is not telling a story based on a book, love story, or poem but rather a concept no different than downside up.  Also, they have not put the closer on the field yet so the show is only 2/3 on the field.  I will say it loud and clear that I think this show has legs to win gold.  I have also spoken with the a couple staff and they have some more tricks up their sleeve to enhance the show but they have to get it all on the field.  Please be patient and I promise you will not be disappointed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Ugh, I was hoping not to hear that from you. I'm very nervous about the show design.

I’m sure both brass and percussion will be very competitive even with a lot of their typical brass acrobatics. Design has been their Achilles, but it’s early and the cast has to settle in to the production. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

I have also spoken with the a couple staff and they have some more tricks up their sleeve

I don’t know what it is, but I’ve heard there will be a part of the show that is visually unique and challenging and playing during that visual.  Also, I assume there’s more to the props than what I saw a week or so ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Nothing to be worried about at this point. As I mentioned, it’s early, they’re still teaching, and the corps is very very talented. Personally, I’m not sold on the show idea yet, but I do love the music. If you been following me for sometime, you know I’m a homer but have a tendency to be guarded. Will the audience love the show? Absolutely! Will the GE judges? Let’s wait and see. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

I’m sure both brass and percussion will be very competitive even with a lot of their typical brass acrobatics. Design has been their Achilles, but it’s early and the cast has to settle in to the production. 

I think the guard is quite improved too.  I don’t see them winning the Zingali but I wouldn’t be surprised to see guard move from 6th in 2019 to maybe 4th or even 3rd. Of course placement depends on how others do but I certainly expect a score improvement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

I don’t know what it is, but I’ve heard there will be a part of the show that is visually unique and challenging and playing during that visual.  Also, I assume there’s more to the props than what I saw a week or so ago.

I can confirm this. The visual aspect of the show has been taken up a notch. Minimal props, one being incredibly interesting and can guarantee have never been used before in this activity.  And they’re better than what the corps has used in the past. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

For all the hand wringing about the design, I would ask you to wait for your conclusion about doom and gloom until after the season starts.  First off from what I have seen the precussion, brass, and guard will all contend to win their captions, not saying they will but the writing and talent will put all of them in the hunt.  Crown has not had that ever, so this group is already ahead of previous Crown groups in the last 10 years.  Also, things Crown struggled with in 2019 have been cured [visually and guard wise].  Visually the drill is fantastic and so is the choreography.  The choreography is very good and modern and should eliminate SCV, Bloo, and Bd advantages.  The guard is looking fantastic and staged 100% better than in 2019, which for sure should add some GE points.  The design team is not telling a story based on a book, love story, or poem but rather a concept no different than downside up.  Also, they have not put the closer on the field yet so the show is only 2/3 on the field.  I will say it loud and clear that I think this show has legs to win gold.  I have also spoken with the a couple staff and they have some more tricks up their sleeve to enhance the show but they have to get it all on the field.  Please be patient and I promise you will not be disappointed. 

I don’t know that anyone is doom and gloom, and if they are it’s way too early for that. But based on what has happened design wise Recently it’s easy to understand why some would be guarded. I agree, this is one of the more talented groups in recent memory. And the other thing that has me excited is it seems they’re further along in teaching the show then they’ve been in recent years. It feels like the last week at GW is always at a frenzied pace to get the closer taught. I don’t see that happening this season. Weather has been good, too. Not a lot of rain. 

• Thanks 1