Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

12 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

It's a two horse race at this point. Boston is just sensational. They are likely ahead of Crown for good. I just don't think Crown's show is cleanable at this point. The visual design is just too messy. There is too much on the field and the guard is just too big. The music is sensational, but I've said all season the visual is a big problem and I think it's going to get bigger before the end of the season. This design team needs to learn to edit.

I don’t know, it doesn’t look messy to me.   There’s a lot going on and to me it just looks interesting.  Lots to feast your eyes on.   Not messy at all.  

• Like 3

i thought it was a great run.  Drill is looking cleaner.

And I am really excited about the guard this year.  Such great improvement and they carry the load visually, and I think they do it really well.  I mean, it has to carry the load because it's enormous, but still.

Not talking scores or placements, just how I enjoy the show.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

It's a two horse race at this point. Boston is just sensational. They are likely ahead of Crown for good. I just don't think Crown's show is cleanable at this point. The visual design is just too messy. There is too much on the field and the guard is just too big. The music is sensational, but I've said all season the visual is a big problem and I think it's going to get bigger before the end of the season. This design team needs to learn to edit.

Boston & Crown have the same size guard

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wigwam said:

I don’t know, it doesn’t look messy to me.   There’s a lot going on and to me it just looks interesting.  Lots to feast your eyes on.   Not messy at all.  

To each their own, but for me it's way too much going on. It's hard to stage a guard that big because you simply lack the room to do so. That's why the spend the majority of 1st mov't in the back of the field. The fabric needs to go - all of it. It's not very effective and looks sloppy. In the ballad, all eyes are on the upper brass with their heads poking through the tarp (being stationary) and no one is looking at the low brass, yet the lower brass are the ones who aren't so stationary and are trying to add to the show visually while playing. The streamers the horn line uses in the drum solo are good in theory, but the work is so simple, they are stationary (again there's just no room for them to move), and it adds clutter to the field when they lay them down. I also don't think white tops and dark pants were a good idea either, because to me it makes the cleanest corps look dirty (harking back to when Madison and Vanguard did it). They have some great drill going on, especially in the closer, but I feel it just gets buried under all the clutter. 

• Like 2

Just now, Flguardman said:

Boston & Crown have the same size guard

Boston has 50 in the guard? I didn't count, but to me Crown's looks the biggest. I guess it comes down to staging. Crown, overall, just seems like they are so much bigger than every corps. It seems like they have more brass and double the guard than anyone else. I don't know why, but that's how it looks to me (even though I know they aren't twice as big as anyone).

I guess you can stage a guard that size - Boston is doing it well, Crown not so much.

18 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Well, I agree about the two horse race.  In fact, I think Crown needs to worry about their six more.

I think the visual messiness is field clutter, especially after the streamers are out, and the way all the fabrics are placed on the field after they are used is distracting to me.

I disagree about the guard being too big.  That does not bother me, and I think it adds to the festival nature to have so much guard activity going on.

As I stated above, I am really jazzed by what CrownGuard is achieving this year.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Boston has 50 in the guard? I didn't count, but to me Crown's looks the biggest. I guess it comes down to staging. Crown, overall, just seems like they are so much bigger than every corps. It seems like they have more brass and double the guard than anyone else. I don't know why, but that's how it looks to me (even though I know they aren't twice as big as anyone).

I guess you can stage a guard that size - Boston is doing it well, Crown not so much.

They seem bigger because they are more exposed throughout the show from end zone to end zone. But I personally don’t have a staging issue with the guard, they are set up well for effect moments.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

It’s the design philosophy of Crown. Ever since Inferno the designs have erred on the side of all over the place and constantly moving around. It’s no secret that my favorite Crown show ever was Inferno. I haven’t liked any Crown show concept since then.

Focus on an idea. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s the design philosophy of Crown. Ever since Inferno the designs have erred on the side of all over the place and constantly moving around. It’s no secret that my favorite Crown show ever was Inferno. I haven’t liked any Crown show concept since then.

Focus on an idea. 

I'd give Inferno or 2009 the title of my favorite Crown show. Inferno was amazing, and I agree with you - their design team hasn't put out a winning design since Inferno. 

They need to reevaluate and change their design philosophy. It isn't doing them any favors. Two corps have passed them up since Broken Arrow and now SCV I'm sure is right on their heels.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

Yeah I wouldn't be very upset if Crown moved on from this design team after this season.  Just not really getting the job done.

• Like 6