Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

3 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

You think they'll jump Bloo again? 

This is a tough admission from a self identified Crownie, but it feels that the show is in free fall. I was feeling good re perc last night until I realized SCV performed in exhibition due to wet deck.

I’ll standby my opinion that I like it, on balance, better than anything they’ve fielded since ‘16. 

Some ardent Crown fans—I know I can’t speak for nor am I so presumptuous to represent all—have continued to believe that there’d be some breakout or turnaround performance by [insert venue name here].

And as of this Sat. a.m., the weather seems to be lining up to washout NightBEAT. 

But it’s still a show day in ATL: GO CROWN!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Great job on that achievement score Crown guard!!

Yeah, their guard is great. It might be my favorite book of the year. I love all the synchronized full ensemble work. To me that is so much more effective, than say, SCV's guard. Not enough of that there IMO.

• Like 1

From and entertainment standpoint, the corps is doing its job and connecting with the audience. From a competitive standpoint, this show is getting eaten alive. The fact that there have been no major changes signals to me that the design team may have thrown in the towel and is trying to make the most with what they’ve got. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is at this point.  That said, this has been 6 years of subpar design that has to leave everyone wondering, does Crown still have it or are they in decline? How does this impact recruiting? Can percussion ever get above 6th place? What’s going on in brassland? Lots of questions to be answered, but it looks like the rest of the activity is passing Crown in terms of design, and it might be time to blow this thing up and start again. This is making Leon May look like a genius right now. 

Is Jim and Nancy’s way of running this organization finally catching up to them? 

• Like 5

Some truth here but with so many holes from strict covid protocols these are pretty broad generalizations from one or two shows while the corps is not healthy and let’s be honest how do you execute broad changes in this situation. I will agree there is too much going on and Jeff drill requires flawless execution. And there are seams.. 

The whole show is very exposed on all caps. I give them credit for doing something risky. Early season they were scoring just fine. In a similar way why aren’t we asking what’s wrong with SCV or what’s wrong with Bloo. 

On Leon Mays .. let’s call it like it is. The show is so basic without a guard to carry it .. it would tank. The VA and MA scores are right back to where they were with Crown. He’s got a drum line that could be a bump .. but with SCVs drama and illness .. Crown being down and BC kind having a dud show Devils are very young  .. it’s just kinda an opportunity of chance. They execute it very well but if every corps were healthy I think things would be quite different. It flows but no design masterpiece. And it’s the best money can buy … at its core it is an old Crown show. They’ll hover around 4th and have the years they break through  .. same as Crown was .. Beast is the only show I would call a disaster in the new dynasty  and it takes time to rebuild guard which we’re not talking about the positive of CrownGuard being right on the hunt for #1 and they’ve kept brass .. so  .. that is a pretty big doomsday projection  imo  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

From and entertainment standpoint, the corps is doing its job and connecting with the audience. From a competitive standpoint, this show is getting eaten alive. The fact that there have been no major changes signals to me that the design team may have thrown in the towel and is trying to make the most with what they’ve got. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is at this point.  That said, this has been 6 years of subpar design that has to leave everyone wondering, does Crown still have it or are they in decline? How does this impact recruiting? Can percussion ever get above 6th place? What’s going on in brassland? Lots of questions to be answered, but it looks like the rest of the activity is passing Crown in terms of design, and it might be time to blow this thing up and start again. This is making Leon May look like a genius right now. 

Is Jim and Nancy’s way of running this organization finally catching up to them? 

Deep questions…all. With notable exception of BD, all mortal corps seem to have periods of ebb & flow, both in performance and design. That we are now on the precipice of yet another Crown season, where they’re in a dogfight just to remain top five [and in the PBS era making the televised broadcast] it’s been quite humbling considering the powerhouse they had become in the late aughts. 

I lack far to much knowledge of the activity and have zero connections with Crown cognoscenti to even hazard a guess to where the organization’s heading.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i don't think their run was bad, but i think Bluecoats just upped their game. Blue has cleaned everything a lot, added stuff and changed things and it just happened to push them ahead. no bad runs, just a surprise punch from Bloo.

Naw .. I think it is matching all those holes with strict covid standards. I give them props for fielding the show instead of a standstill. But if your sick or exposed you’re off the field with Crown. Unlike others

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3