Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

39 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It’s official.

Crown bashers are out of sane things to complain about.

I really really am curious about The Hen House .. like what is the intent .. the end game. Even if it’s just opinions. Why?
My opinions .. 

BD sure does look like a Gaslamp redux .. and what does any of it have to do with Tempest Blue.. but I don’t go post that in their thread 

BAC - Looks like a very basic old Crown show with a CG carrying the load. But I don’t go post that on their thread

Bluecoats seems like a wanna be groovy show that ain’t so groovy .. but I don’t go post that on their thread .. 

And so on .. I am really curious of the intent .. and frankly I don’t know what kind of people do this .. is it the anonymity that makes this ok .. and then I guess there are the people that just feel compelled, almost to the level of psychosis, to just say sh$t.  I guess I really should not be surprised with anything these days .. since ppl keep excusing their behavior as you shouldn’t be here if you don’t like it  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Why is someone who is critical of the show a basher? I would say those that think we are bashing are just not educated in what makes a good/great design or are just completely biased. We are here to discuss Carolina Crown. Should we be sugar coating everything? How boring is that.

I didn’t say someone who is critical of a show is a basher.  Nor did I say everything should be sugar coated.  There are a few, however, who hide behind a facade of legitimate criticisms just to mindlessly bash, pick fights, and annoy people.  These childish practices get in the way of legitimate discussion, including legitimate criticism.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Improvement is never possible without first admitting a need to improve. And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. The folks who design for Crown seem to believe that if they just keep putting their same ideas out there every year, THIS year the judges will come around.  The kids at Crown are amazingly talented, and i feel they suffer because the design team doesn’t grow and adapt. 

but voicing an opinion, as an outsider, gets you branded a hater, no matter how well-intentioned you may be. 

sometimes the truth hurts…

I really don't know why Crown's design team just isn't getting it. The kids absolutely suffer because of their design. Yes, I'm sure they love the show, love performing it, and getting the amazing reaction from the crowd they get, but at the end of the day this is a competitive activity. They have to be very disappointed with where they are placing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I didn’t say someone who is critical of a show is a basher.  Nor did I say everything should be sugar coated.  There are a few, however, who hide behind a facade of legitimate criticisms just to mindlessly bash, pick fights, and annoy people.  These childish practices get in the way of legitimate discussion, including legitimate criticism.  

That's fair - you didn't specifically say that, but you did say, "Crown bashers are out of sane things to complain about." Since the same group of us have been talking for the past several pages, I thought you were referring to us.

What isn't sane about what people are saying? I haven't seen one crazy thing said by anyone. We're giving our impressions on the show and for some of us those impressions are lining up with the judges marks. We've been here all season saying the same thing. There were a few that jumped all over us who said, weeks ago, that Crown has design issues. Then, when BAC passed up Crown, a few disappeared under the guise that this was a toxic place. I think it's, rather, they couldn't admit they were wrong.

Edited by henry7184
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Improvement is never possible without first admitting a need to improve. And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. The folks who design for Crown seem to believe that if they just keep putting their same ideas out there every year, THIS year the judges will come around.  The kids at Crown are amazingly talented, and i feel they suffer because the design team doesn’t grow and adapt. 

but voicing an opinion, as an outsider, gets you branded a hater, no matter how well-intentioned you may be. 

sometimes the truth hurts…

I’m curious if you share your wisdom widely across DCI .. is your intent really well intentioned?  And why does you saying it make it truth. You said it .. opinion. State it and move on. And when every time anything positive (in the Crown thread I remind you) .. here come yes the haters telling you really how it is.  That is where the reactions come from. And do you think Crown gives a rip about what some random anonymous guy on the internet DWW11 thinks? There are outsiders that have had great things to say here .. but not inane things that are frankly just trying to illicit reaction. Such as; the app is a bad idea no one is using it. So ?  And the vast majority of outsiders come here to burn down some aspect of the Crown show .. why ? What’s the point?

4 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

I particularly remember getting criticized for saying that the other 3 corps in the top 4 have plenty of room to grow and that crowns show is not the only one that can improve throughout the season 

Yes. I mean in Broken Arrow it was performance order that caused the spread between BD and Crown. Now it's Covid that caused Bluecoats to pass Crown. It's always some excuse. BD is 2 points ahead of Crown because they are that much better. Boston and Bluecoats passed Crown because their design is that much better. SCV is coming because their design is that much better. I'm not sure SCV will pass Crown, but it's certainly a possibility. Crown needs to score very high in Music to stay competitive for a medal and that's not happening.

Edited by henry7184
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, skevinp said:

This is perhaps the most succinct, well articulated missive that’s been posted re the ongoing discussion. 

The well [read thread] has been poisoned, at least for ‘22, regardless of posters’ motives: provocateur, informed analyst/critic, casual DCP wanderer, you name it.

As a person of a certain age, I can pull out the geezer card on occasion: seen a lot, read a bit, and have witnessed more “intellectual” and moronic battles of wits than I could begin to count.

Rodney King has been forgotten by history, but his “Can’t we just get along?,” while perhaps a bit naive was a reasonable question. We share the love of a unique art form. Some just enjoy the spectacle and pageantry of the activity, while others are ardent advocates of their ‘tribe.”Entirely reasonable, as this is a competitive art form.

Keep in mind that patrons of this annual art form that we ALL HOLD DEAR TO OUR HEARTS, is enjoyed by folks with myriad mind sets and emotions. 

Edited by nsxanax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BWise said:

I’m curious if you share your wisdom widely across DCI .. is your intent really well intentioned?  And why does you saying it make it truth. You said it .. opinion. State it and move on. And when every time anything positive (in the Crown thread I remind you) .. here come yes the haters telling you really how it is.  That is where the reactions come from. And do you think Crown gives a rip about what some random anonymous guy on the internet DWW11 thinks? There are outsiders that have had great things to say here .. but not inane things that are frankly just trying to illicit reaction. Such as; the app is a bad idea no one is using it. So ?  And the vast majority of outsiders come here to burn down some aspect of the Crown show .. why ? What’s the point?

Truth (since you asked)?  My intent is to share my opinion.  I accept that people may feel differently.  As a viewer of the show, (and a donor), i feel i have that right. I generally read multiple threads, but don’t comment often except for the Devils thread, and the show thread for whichever show we are all watching.  the Crown thread is one i follow because it fascinates me every year.  Why?  Because some of you (NOT most of you) refuse to admit that maybe your corps just isn’t getting it done. Every season it starts with “this is THE year. This show is a beast!”  Now, EVERY corps starts the year with high hopes, so that, in itself is NOT unique. What IS unique is that your comments follow a very specific path: show is going to win, then show is unbeatable. Then once you don’t win you start with the judges being biased, corps playing to the sheets, order of appearance, ad nauseum.  I RARELY see that kind of stuff on the other threads.  I usually see stuff like “hey, we have a great show but so do they and they beat us today!”  THIS year someone here added allegations that other corps must be marching sick kids because they don’t have as many (or any) holes.  Likely the truth is that they did a better job keeping their kids well.

You see conspiracy everywhere, where there is none. Maybe look within. And accept that your show is great, but a GREATER show exists. It doesn’t diminish Crown to put in their best effort and not come in first. 

i never said anything one way or the other about the app. But you raised it in response to my reply.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

The kids at Crown are amazingly talented, and i feel they suffer because the design team doesn’t grow and adapt. 

Maybe they care more about entertaining the fans than placement.  Even after years of designing these kinds of shows (people seem to be saying) they keep getting kids who are, as you say, amazingly talented, and I’m sure those kids aren’t stupid, and know what to expect.

So maybe they aren’t really suffering.  Maybe they are even having a blast.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2