Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

16 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I think the goal here is to have the show be a more immersive experience. Not nearly a failure of concept if from what many have said, the app is unobtrusive to the performance and it does just that for the people in the stands. We’ll have to see what more people think when more eyes are on the product at shows, which hasn’t even happened yet for crown.

Agreed - it seems to fit in with the show concept perfectly. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I think the goal here is to have the show be a more immersive experience. Not nearly a failure of concept if from what many have said, the app is unobtrusive to the performance and it does just that for the people in the stands. We’ll have to see what more people think when more eyes are on the product at shows, which hasn’t even happened yet for crown.

Time will tell, I’m just very skeptical about the concept of using a distracting device to increase audience engagement, especially for a show titled “Right Here, Right Now”

Regardless, my phone will firmly remain in my pocket when I see Crown in Atlanta so that I can actually enjoy the show 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Time will tell, I’m just very skeptical about the concept of using a distracting device to increase audience engagement, especially for a show titled “Right Here, Right Now”

Regardless, my phone will firmly remain in my pocket when I see Crown in Atlanta so that I can actually enjoy the show 

I originally thought the same thing as you, Cap, but was surprised to find out that I was able to put attention on both during the show. Same concept as a second screen while watching a game. I think we’re more accustomed to it now. It was a nice addition when I watched it last week at the rehearsal. As for judging, the narrative is it will NOT factor into judging whatsoever. The judges will still be focused on the product on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah the app is cool but wow the production on the field is amazing. I am still excited after the live show last night. Love love love it. All of it.  👑 

Forgot to add.  I can pick some #### apart but not on this one. It sunk in with the designers.. color .. staging particularly guard exposure … visual impact .. and I think the VA is even great .. That guard. Whoa .. where did that come from ?

Edited by BWise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I watched and enjoyed the whole show and never looked at my phone.  Next time I see them I won't have my phone out at all.  So I guess it's an optional thing, those that use the app seemed to enjoy it, and those of us that ignored it enjoyed it just as much.  

I'm with you on not totally understanding the usefulness of the app while trying to watch a show with so much going on, but to each his own I suppose. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

In regards to the app thing, doesn’t it seem like a bit of a miss to have audience buy-in via them using their smartphones during the show for a show that’s titled “Right Here, Right Now”? Just seems a bit ironic 

Smart Phones are seen as a distraction in regular life BUT, (and this is what people who haven’t experienced it can understand), when your phone is *in sync* perfectly with what you hear with the music/audio AND your phone is in-sync with your neighbors phone when looking around there is a level of immersion that completely envelops the audience. They play sounds on your phone that connect with the sound scape! It’s wild! And you hear it from everyone around you too!!! You feel entirely connected to the show in a way that is not like anything I’ve ever experienced anywhere. that’s why I think the effect gets stronger when more people use it. In a show about creating moments *with the audience* the app fits exactly with that concept ten fold. 

The show doesn’t “rely” on it at all. But I really strongly encourage everyone who feels a certain way about it to download it and try it when you see crown!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, charlie1223 said:

Smart Phones are seen as a distraction in regular life BUT, (and this is what people who haven’t experienced it can understand), when your phone is *in sync* perfectly with what you hear with the music/audio AND your phone is in-sync with your neighbors phone when looking around there is a level of immersion that completely envelops the audience. They play sounds on your phone that connect with the sound scape! It’s wild! And you hear it from everyone around you too!!! You feel entirely connected to the show in a way that is not like anything I’ve ever experienced anywhere. that’s why I think the effect gets stronger when more people use it. In a show about creating moments *with the audience* the app fits exactly with that concept ten fold. 

The show doesn’t “rely” on it at all. But I really strongly encourage everyone who feels a certain way about it to download it and try it when you see crown!! 

Hold on, the phones are going to PLAY sound too? I thought this was essentially just going to be something that prompts the audience to snap their fingers, clap, wave their phone to show off the flash, etc. 

I would be extremely annoyed if an audience member had their phone playing sounds from this crown app while sitting right next to me

i genuinely felt like the mics, speakers, etc have enhanced drum corps, but this is too much

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hold on, the phones are going to PLAY sound too? I thought this was essentially just going to be something that prompts the audience to snap their fingers, clap, wave their phone to show off the flash, etc. 

I would be extremely annoyed if an audience member had their phone playing sounds from this crown app while sitting right next to me

i genuinely felt like the mics, speakers, etc have enhanced drum corps, but this is too much

Wait until you see it.  I think that description was quite exaggerated with exception of one “pre-show” moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

The audience doesn’t control the app at all. I literally just had it running and the app just controlled itself. Whatever worse case scenario you’re imagining is NOT even close to what the actual experience was. It’s tasteful and very cool. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie1223 said:

The audience doesn’t control the app at all. I literally just had it running and the app just controlled itself. Whatever worse case scenario you’re imagining is NOT even close to what the actual experience was. It’s tasteful and very cool. 

I’ve used this type of thing before at a sporting event and I’m no stranger to technology, im likely younger than the vast majority on this forum. I understand it’s all synchronized and not controlled by the audience. It still sounds like a total nuisance if sounds are being played through the phone itself. Especially with each phone’s speaker being different with a different sound profile, different volume, etc etc 

Not to mention that in the audience’s pursuit to hear what’s coming out of the app, we may end up hearing some accidental calls from people’s phones. Android phones allow granular control of the ringtone sound vs system sounds but iPhones do not. Depending on the settings an iPhone user has, the sound of their ringer may end up matching that of the sound coming from the app

But as someone else said, the description the user I was replying to was exaggerated so maybe it won’t be a total mess. Or maybe it will. Who knows