Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I’ve used this type of thing before at a sporting event and I’m no stranger to technology, im likely younger than the vast majority on this forum. I understand it’s all synchronized and not controlled by the audience. It still sounds like a total nuisance if sounds are being played through the phone itself. Especially with each phone’s speaker being different with a different sound profile, different volume, etc etc 

Not to mention that in the audience’s pursuit to hear what’s coming out of the app, we may end up hearing some accidental calls from people’s phones. Android phones allow granular control of the ringtone sound vs system sounds but iPhones do not. Depending on the settings an iPhone user has, the sound of their ringer may end up matching that of the sound coming from the app

But as someone else said, the description the user I was replying to was exaggerated so maybe it won’t be a total mess. Or maybe it will. Who knows 

The announcement video on Facebook said the app works in Airplane mode. So you can run it without any Wi-Fi or cellular signal and it will work. So you just won’t have any calls or pings going off while your volume is up. 

I had an iPhone and my volume was all the way up. It wasn’t oppressively loud but still noticeably present. seems like crown has thought of all the concerns with calls/volume but I know nothing about how phones work lol. 

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

And this is a bad thing because…..? 😂😂

Not sure what the bad thing is, because when you quoted me there was no text. Lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, charlie1223 said:

The announcement video on Facebook said the app works in Airplane mode. So you can run it without any Wi-Fi or cellular signal and it will work. So you just won’t have any calls or pings going off while your volume is up. 

I had an iPhone and my volume was all the way up. It wasn’t oppressively loud but still noticeably present. seems like crown has thought of all the concerns with calls/volume but I know nothing about how phones work lol. 

Have you been to a movie theater recently? Or a play or concert? How many people actually keep their phones in airplay mode? I don’t trust people to be smart with technology, especially the older demographic, no offense if anyone falls into that

• Haha 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

Have you been to a movie theater recently? Or a play or concert? How many people actually keep their phones in airplay mode? I don’t trust people to be smart with technology, especially the older demographic, no offense if anyone falls into that

I always turn off my phone but then again, I freak out all of the other oldsters when I use my watch to pay for my groceries. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

But as someone else said, the description the user I was replying to was exaggerated so maybe it won’t be a total mess. Or maybe it will. Who knows 

Who knows? Probably the people that have seen it, used it, and are telling you to relax? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Who knows? Probably the people that have seen it, used it, and are telling you to relax? 

There were people who saw corps in person back in 2019 who thought the crazy amount of thunderous goo coming out from certain corps was just fine too. I'm not too inclined to just take someone's word for it

Regardless, I'll stop filling this thread up with my skepticism, looking forward to getting a full look at Crown's show on Wednesday! 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

There were people who saw corps in person back in 2019 who thought the crazy amount of thunderous goo coming out from certain corps was just fine too. I'm not too inclined to just take someone's word for it

Regardless, I'll stop filling this thread up with my skepticism, looking forward to getting a full look at Crown's show on Wednesday! 

Wednesday? 

1 hour ago, charlie1223 said:

Smart Phones are seen as a distraction in regular life BUT, (and this is what people who haven’t experienced it can understand), when your phone is *in sync* perfectly with what you hear with the music/audio AND your phone is in-sync with your neighbors phone when looking around there is a level of immersion that completely envelops the audience. They play sounds on your phone that connect with the sound scape! It’s wild! And you hear it from everyone around you too!!! You feel entirely connected to the show in a way that is not like anything I’ve ever experienced anywhere. that’s why I think the effect gets stronger when more people use it. In a show about creating moments *with the audience* the app fits exactly with that concept ten fold. 

I'll have you to know that my phone is not smart. (Or is it operator error?) :spitting:  

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well, no.  Going Tuesday night for the first time in probably 15-20 years.  (No lie)  Kind of dread it... 😳 

Thought the airplane mode feature was only for use on a flight... :spitting:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hey man I get it lol. I just think what Crown is doing is innovative enough to be worth the risk of a few technically illiterate/ rude people. When phones go off it’s usually 1 person out of hundreds. Not enough to warrant not trying something creative and new right?