Why is it so Hard to find Videos of older Shows?

I loved the fan network, I remember in a 2010 kalamazoo performance, my 3rd valve slide shot out as I snapped my horn, I can be seen picking it up on my way to my next set. It was hilarious to see that  on camera. Why copyright licensing has become so huge, its dumb.

Edited by jfcadets

On 9/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, Lance said:

And sadly, younger youtubers are probably just not interested in watching 20+ year-old dci.  

You should see the comments on the Superfan videos from 2000 Cadets. Everyone seems to love them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

You should see the comments on the Superfan videos from 2000 Cadets. Everyone seems to love them. 

not sure i've ever met anybody who doesn't love that show.  lots of other shows from 20+ years ago, too. 

i was speaking generally, and admittedly, a little to broadly.  i just think about the kids that I work with and they're a lot more likely to share a 6-12 placing performance from 2018 than from 1998, for example. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lance said:

not sure i've ever met anybody who doesn't love that show.  lots of other shows from 20+ years ago, too. 

i was speaking generally, and admittedly, a little to broadly.  i just think about the kids that I work with and they're a lot more likely to share a 6-12 placing performance from 2018 than from 1998, for example. 

This isn't limited to marching arts either.  Try showing video of Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Luis Tiant, Reggie Jackson, Johnny Bench, the '70's Steelers, the 60's Packers, Jerry Rice, Earl Campbell... if it didn't happen in the last 5 years, they just don't believe it was as good as it was.  This isn't new either... I was one of the few kids 40 years ago who understood how good "the good 'ole days" were in sports as well.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, Lance said:

And sadly, younger youtubers are probably just not interested in watching 20+ year-old dci.

Is that your intuition or are you basing that on any sort of data?

On 10/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This isn't limited to marching arts either.  Try showing video of Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Luis Tiant, Reggie Jackson, Johnny Bench, the '70's Steelers, the 60's Packers, Jerry Rice, Earl Campbell... if it didn't happen in the last 5 years, they just don't believe it was as good as it was.  This isn't new either... I was one of the few kids 40 years ago who understood how good "the good 'ole days" were in sports as well.

Yep, it's certainly not unique to drum corps or drum corps fans.  

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Is that your intuition or are you basing that on any sort of data?

I'm still compiling the data from my roughly 2 dozen double-blind, placebo-controlled experiments I've conducted for the past several years.  My kids hate me from hooking them up to machines and having them watch top 12's from 1991 onward.  And then they really hate me for inundating them with surveys because let's face it, writing scares most kids today.  But anything in the name of science, right?  All for you Hrothgar.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I'm still compiling the data from my roughly 2 dozen double-blind, placebo-controlled experiments I've conducted for the past several years.  My kids hate me from hooking them up to machines and having them watch top 12's from 1991 onward.  And then they really hate me for inundating them with surveys because let's face it, writing scares most kids today.  But anything in the name of science, right?  All for you Hrothgar.  

Many drummers that I've known love double blind, placebo-controlled experiments. Though if they believe that it's something "interesting" that they're taking, you fight find them out the middle of the practice field worshipping airplanes that fly over head.

51 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Many drummers that I've known love double blind, placebo-controlled experiments. Though if they believe that it's something "interesting" that they're taking, you fight find them out the middle of the practice field worshipping airplanes that fly over head.

Or blimps. Bluecoats drummers in the early 90s pretty much worshiped blimps. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Or blimps. Bluecoats drummers in the early 90s pretty much worshiped blimps. 

I actually heard that before although I never knew who it was exactly. We of the percussion breed tend to be a little...odd. I remember once when we were supposed to be in battery sectionals at a housing site. We found a swimming pool and found ourselves alone with no instructors. So off into the pool we went. When they found us, we were all lines up on the side of the pool playing the book on the edge. The excuse that we were "practicing" didn't exactly absolve us. 

• Haha 1