Hadestown in DCI

I saw Hadestown on Broadway a few weeks ago and cannot get the idea of it being a DCI show out of my head. If you are familiar with the visual staging and body movement they use in particular it just seems to all the boxes, yet still be immensely entertaining. If not, watch "chant" in the video of the entire show.  I now realize I can't post the YouTube link, but if you search for 1920 Greek Mythology (London) you will find the full show visually. Chant starts at minute 37, and is the song that inspired me. 

I, of course, would love Cadets to do it and I've even reached out to say I would write the body movement and help with staging (an area they must improve if they are going to get back to the top). Note: I have never designed anything in DCI, but have always thought I could if the right opportunity presented itself.

The prop alone. (a rising and falling 3 layered circle that moves in different directions and speeds depending on the layer) creates so many possibilities.

Do you guys think it's impossible to do a "Broadway Show" as an entire theme now? The first show I ever saw was SCV 89. That is what got me into the activity as well as Cadets Les Mis. Now, it's like that is too straight forward and not innovative.

Would love feedback/thoughts.

Thanks!

P.S. - Of course given the jazz influences BD is a great fit for this especially given their movement prowess and have Scott Chandler, but.......past time to mix things up.

Edited by cadet93
Added YouTube link.

5 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

I saw Hadestown on Broadway a few weeks ago and cannot get the idea of it being a DCI show out of my head. If you are familiar with the visual staging and body movement they use in particular it just seems to check all the boxes, yet still be immensely entertainin.

I, of course, would love Cadets to do it and I've even reached out to say I would write the body movement and help with staging (an area they must improve if they are going to get back to the top). Note: I have never designed anything in DCI, but have always thought I could if the right opportunity presented itself.

The prop alone. (a rising and falling 3 layered circle that moves in different directions and speeds depending on the layer) creates so many possibilities.

Do you guys think it's impossible to do a "Broadway Show" as an entire theme now? The first show I ever saw was SCV 89. That  is what got  me into the activity as well as Cadets Les Mis. Now it's like that is too straight forward and not innovative.

Would love feedback/thoughts.

Thanks!

P.S. - Of course given the jazz influences BD is a great fit for this especially given their movement prowess and have Scott Chandler, but.......past time to mix things up.

Well, Blue Stars had an “In the Heights” theme this past season, so drum corps mounting a Broadway show is still possible. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well, Blue Stars had an “In the Heights” theme this past season, so drum corps mounting a Broadway show is still possible. 

Loved that show, but will say Hadestown is a different beast and much more layered and sophisticated with more varied music. Thanks for the thought! I always love reading your posts.

• Thanks 1

When I saw this performance during the Tonys broadcast, I was mesmerized by the choreography with the hanging lights.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

When I saw this performance during the Tonys broadcast, I was mesmerized by the choreography with the hanging lights.

I love the miners’ lights as head gear. I can see Blue Stars doing this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Yeah the lights are also interteresting and could potentially be done, or something similar.

The Tony didn't have the rotating/rising falling stage. That is a key part too...

This is only chant so I think OK to post and they would only want us to post this to increase interest....

This  is horrible camera work and audio quality (the trombone player is sick), but shows the body movement, different rotating layers and speeds, and rising/lowering stage.

Musically, the layering is brillant. Oh judges.....

Edited by cadet93

"Way Down Hadestown" could be a lot of fun if done the right way. I'd love to see some of this make it to the field one day, really a fantastic show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I've been itching to write a Hadestown show since I first saw the touring group. Granted, I have zero experience arranging anything for DCI, or even band for that matter. But I think it would make an amazing show.

Listening to it as I type this...