Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

7 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Less concerned about reporting to DCI.  Adults are Mandatory Reporters.  That means they MUST report to the police.  The article is unclear whether that happened in a timely fashion or not.

If they did not IMMEDIATELY report to the police, they essentially allowed an accused sexual predator to roam free.  Then rather that person having a day in court (innocent until proven guilty), they name him in a press release.

This activity REALLY needs to get better about this.

I wonder what part of mandatory she didn't understand?

So I did a little digging today. It turns out he was reported to dci on 5/26, the day before Shadow informed him of his future endeavors. Obviously I’m not going to share documents I’ve seen as non public email info is included but the time stamp does show dci was notified earlier than the article stated. 

im hoping the author corrects the article for accuracy purposes 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder what part of mandatory she didn't understand?

She did. Dci was notified 5/26 per policy. He was fired a day later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

When was law enforcement notified? And by whom? 

Due to any ongoing investigations that may be happening not much in that regard was offered. 

the article has a lot right but a few key details aren’t 

Edited by Jeff Ream

On 10/7/2021 at 2:51 PM, GBugler said:

Anyone else think that this appointment might not be the best thing for Vanguard, given what went on under Compton-Allen's watch at Shadow D&BC?

https://www.tonemadison.com/articles/longtime-madison-musician-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-with-drum-corps-students

I mean, SCV's board had to vet this person, right? 

No, I don't think that. I don't see how the article you gave us - Thanks! - leads to thinking Compton-Allen should not be hired by Vanguard.

Increasingly, any of us could be involved in situations as leaders that require our navigating tough circumstances and making tough and multiple decisions. Some decisions must be made quickly, some are worthy of good discussions and thought for a bit. I'm not expecting anyone to be flawless and wish others could be at least slightly more tolerant before implying that, due to a bad person's actions under our charge, heads must roll.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

No, I don't think that. I don't see how the article you gave us - Thanks! - leads to thinking Compton-Allen should not be hired by Vanguard.

Given everything that has happened in the activity at the very highest levels over the last five years (and most certainly well before that), every corps' personnel decisions have to be heavily scrutinized. I merely suggested that hiring someone who left her previous position after having a predator on her staff might reflect poorly on Vanguard's vetting process. Also, given everything that's happened recently, I'm not sure that jumping to Vanguard's defense on this hire is necessarily a good look either.

Then again, maybe Compton-Allen's swift action when notified of the issue is a positive in the eyes of the board. 

Who said heads must roll? Not me.