Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah, could really care what leaders found in those 9 or so days. Line that stands out to me is Oregon police contacted head of corps. That’s SHOULD be the other war around. Organization handling internally smells like that big college 2 hours from me (spelled PSU).

The activity fixes this situation by involving Law Enforcement.  

Hypothetical: if someone comes into your rehearsal and starts hitting members, call the police, not DCI.  If someone steals from your corps, call the police, not DCI.  If someone you hired is grooming students to have inappropriate relationships, call the police (and DCI).

Adults (especially ones working with youth and running organizations) are MANDATORY reporters.  They MUST call law enforcement.  It is not enough to say "yeah that one staffer was diddling more than the drums, but we fired 'em, so go us!".  Unfortunately if you do not contact law enforcement, you are in some way harboring that behavior.  

It's a crime.  It has to be reported as such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And this quote from the 2nd article is telling: "In light of the allegations, McGlauchlen said the Shadow Drum & Bugle Corps will not have a 2022 season. Normally, the corps has a program each summer. McGlauchlen said the corps needs to “evaluate” whether it should move forward at all as an organization."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewToPosting said:

The activity fixes this situation by involving Law Enforcement.  

Hypothetical: if someone comes into your rehearsal and starts hitting members, call the police, not DCI.  If someone steals from your corps, call the police, not DCI.  If someone you hired is grooming students to have inappropriate relationships, call the police (and DCI).

Adults (especially ones working with youth and running organizations) are MANDATORY reporters.  They MUST call law enforcement.  It is not enough to say "yeah that one staffer was diddling more than the drums, but we fired 'em, so go us!".  Unfortunately if you do not contact law enforcement, you are in some way harboring that behavior.  

It's a crime.  It has to be reported as such.

I wonder what part of 'Mandatory" is so hard to understand?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder what part of 'Mandatory" is so hard to understand?

For some people I can only imagine the "I don't want to get involved" part. 

The article is somewhat vague about many things, including reporting the incidents to the police, though it does mention Shadow being contacted by detectives. It could mean one of two things. Shadow did contact the police but the article failed to mention it, or the first young woman contacted the police prior to contacting the former director. 

I am basing what I say on Massachusetts reporting law which is among the strictest in the country. Reporting grooming or what we call grooming is not always mandated BUT a mandated reporter should never make that decision for him/herself. In our case the recommendation is you call youth services first to get a determination. The intake worker will most likely direct you to the police. This not only backs you up, it creates a paper trail that can be critical if conduct is deemed to be criminal. If DYS says you do not need to call the police or the police say no crime is involved, document it by making sure you have names of who took the complaint as well as dates and times.

Since DCI has standards in place, and where Shadow deals with 14-18 year olds and prides itself on the experience it offers, it most likely also has to have policies in place, so it can easily remove a person from employment if grooming is involved as they did. If you have actual proof such as actual texts, there should be no problem. You cannot say why the person is terminated to future employers, but there are ways around it. One is that in the contract it states if a person is terminated, no references other than verification of employment will be given. You can also put in writing that you will not give other employers a reference when the person is terminated. It is best to send it by registered mail.  In this day and age, future employers will know the person was terminated either for inappropriate behavior or stealing. 

Regarding Ms. Compton-Allen, the actions most likely took place during the 2019 season, perhaps earlier, maybe at Winter camps for the 2020 season if there were any prior to the cancellation of the season. I would think that if the potential  “red flags” Mr. McGlauchen mentions were missed and is something Ms. Compton-Allen should have noticed, that’s problematic.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

For some people I can only imagine the "I don't want to get involved" part. 

For some organizations it’s trying protect the “image”. It took for PA to mandate reporting crimes on campus before the colleges opened up. Now my Alma mater reports crimes in the student newspaper. 40 years back there were rumors of assaults near my privately owned dorm but no way to find out. Judging by lack of info everyone was safe and no one got drunk and disorderly 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

57 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Judging by lack of info everyone was safe and no one got drunk and disorderly 

Geez, where I went to school, that would have defeated the purpose of going to college. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

And this quote from the 2nd article is telling: "In light of the allegations, McGlauchlen said the Shadow Drum & Bugle Corps will not have a 2022 season. Normally, the corps has a program each summer. McGlauchlen said the corps needs to “evaluate” whether it should move forward at all as an organization."

This is a sad decision, but one that may be in the best interest of the corps and most especially the young people involved. For corps that did not participate in the 2021 season, restarting will be a challenge. I recently spoke with someone who knows the director of an OC corps that is comparing it to competing for the first time. I might add that while this corps has not had a camp, it is a well established corps that already healthy interest in the 2022 season. For Shadow, add to this rebuilding the trust factor and it’s all the more challenging. My understanding is that Shadow is made up largely of high school sophomores who will be entering their junior year and juniors entering their senior year. Some schools call them ascending juniors and ascending seniors, but we’re still talking 15-17 year olds. Parents are not going to trust an overnight traveling music program.

There is also another factor to keep in mind. The article states that Oregon High School checked the credentials of  the man who has been fired. Most likely this would involve the people who check the background of new teachers, new aides, new support staff, the coaches for athletics, etc. The erosion of trust will involve more than the school’s summer music program, it will probably impact the entire high school, perhaps the school district. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For some organizations it’s trying protect the “image”. It took for PA to mandate reporting crimes on campus before the colleges opened up. Now my Alma mater reports crimes in the student newspaper. 40 years back there were rumors of assaults near my privately owned dorm but no way to find out. Judging by lack of info everyone was safe and no one got drunk and disorderly 

‘Protect the Image’’ is what YEA board attempted when the Hopacolypse became public - backfired pretty quick.  Pioneer & Troopers did same- they delayed the backfires but it still happened.  Crossmen hired Internet professionals to purge image damaging info from the internet. 

What I wonder is how many Corps have successfully ‘Protected the Image’, while  leaving young marching members with damaged mental health (or worse) that will take years to decades to overcome?

But, at least they ‘Protected the Image’.  <<sarcasm>>

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What I wonder is how many Corps have successfully ‘Protected the Image’, while  leaving young marching members with damaged mental health (or worse) that will take years to decades to overcome?

Everybody raise your hand if you read this and immediately thought "Well, at least one."

• Like 1