Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

12 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

‘Protect the Image’’ is what YEA board attempted when the Hopacolypse became public - backfired pretty quick.  Pioneer & Troopers did same- they delayed the backfires but it still happened.  Crossmen hired Internet professionals to purge image damaging info from the internet. 

What I wonder is how many Corps have successfully ‘Protected the Image’, while  leaving young marching members with damaged mental health (or worse) that will take years to decades to overcome?

But, at least they ‘Protected the Image’.  <<sarcasm>>

The sad thing is that today may be the “at least things are better days.” Most people I know who marched had wonderful, life changing experiences. I also know of people who have told stories of verbal abuse, bullying, degrading comments, fighting off unwanted advances, and cliques. Often there was unfair treatment of superstars. One corps  I know of had zero tolerance for drug use and sent people home if they were caught using drugs, except a soloist who was often stoned during performances. If you complained about things and were valued by the corps, something was done about it, otherwise you had to toughen up. Sometimes these situations are not as they seem, no question, but too often they are as bad or worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

The sad thing is that today may be the “at least things are better days.” Most people I know who marched had wonderful, life changing experiences. I also know of people who have told stories of verbal abuse, bullying, degrading comments, fighting off unwanted advances, and cliques. Often there was unfair treatment of superstars. One corps  I know of had zero tolerance for drug use and sent people home if they were caught using drugs, except a soloist who was often stoned during performances. If you complained about things and were valued by the corps, something was done about it, otherwise you had to toughen up. Sometimes these situations are not as they seem, no question, but too often they are as bad or worse. 

Yep. And it's a shame. Our activity is supposed to change lives and shape us into capable leaders. At least that was always my impression. We all remember things through the colored lens of our own experience. I was one of the lucky ones who fell right in the middle and was "just good enough." Besides being told once that my marching was terrible (in far more animated terms...) and being yelled at to run and "Get me a leaf from that tree" and then being told "That's not the leaf I was talking about. Go get the right leaf!" I pretty much had an amazing time. Yes, sometimes things get blown out of proportion, but I think a lot of things still go unreported that SHOULD be reported. If I really looked back, it was probably happening in some way to others and I just either ignored it or didn't notice it was happening in that moment. I do think we are in a better place than in the past though.  

23 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

‘Protect the Image’’ is what YEA board attempted when the Hopacolypse became public - backfired pretty quick.  Pioneer & Troopers did same- they delayed the backfires but it still happened.  Crossmen hired Internet professionals to purge image damaging info from the internet. 

What I wonder is how many Corps have successfully ‘Protected the Image’, while  leaving young marching members with damaged mental health (or worse) that will take years to decades to overcome?

But, at least they ‘Protected the Image’.  <<sarcasm>>

i can think of 2

15 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep. And it's a shame.

I do think we are in a better place than in the past though.  

Agreed - the activity has gotten better about it. Events like these also help the activity to learn more and improve (hopefully).

It's unfortunate that it has this person's name on it - it literally could be most corps that do this and should she be crucified?  Probably not.  There was certainly the right intent behind the actions.  

The activity needs to fix the systemic issue, not vilify individuals who are trying to do their best.  But those individuals also need the right guidance.  Other activities have had to figure this out and this activity seems bent on learning the hard way.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:22 AM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Everybody raise your hand if you read this and immediately thought "Well, at least one."

I was thinking at least one that was mentioned ... very early in this thread. Very early.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:22 AM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Everybody raise your hand if you read this and immediately thought "Well, at least one."

Actually thinking three, including one that DCI kicked out until they clean up their act… still waiting. 
What all three have in common is “what happens in the corps, stays in the corps”. 👎

I know of one instructor, tried to force himself on a marching member. Was switched to another corps, where he was caught messing around with a high school student and now is at another school. He has been accused in South Carolina, North Carolina, Massachusetts and now Texas. This is why I am now a fan of one bad apple? Throw out the ENTIRE batch. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, inbetween said:

I know of one instructor, tried to force himself on a marching member. Was switched to another corps, where he was caught messing around with a high school student and now is at another school. He has been accused in South Carolina, North Carolina, Massachusetts and now Texas. This is why I am now a fan of one bad apple? Throw out the ENTIRE batch. 

Perhaps Corps & bands that hire someone who has a history of inappropriate relationships with members should be forced to do a show called "DFTK" their next competitive season as penance.

This would be in addition to any other penalties levied by law enforcement &/or the sponsoring circuit 

• Like 1