Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

35 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps Corps & bands that hire someone who has a history of inappropriate relationships with members should be forced to do a show called "DFTK" their next competitive season as penance.

do better, do do do do better

• Haha 4

On 10/8/2021 at 5:55 AM, NewToPosting said:

Less concerned about reporting to DCI.  Adults are Mandatory Reporters.  That means they MUST report to the police.  The article is unclear whether that happened in a timely fashion or not.

If they did not IMMEDIATELY report to the police, they essentially allowed an accused sexual predator to roam free.  Then rather that person having a day in court (innocent until proven guilty), they name him in a press release.

This activity REALLY needs to get better about this.

Not every adult is a mandatory reporter.  I think they should be if they're working with minors, but that's not the case.  

On 10/13/2021 at 9:22 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Everybody raise your hand if you read this and immediately thought "Well, at least one."

I KNOW of one, but the victims have never come forward publicly to my knowledge and its been a long time now.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Lance said:

Not every adult is a mandatory reporter.  I think they should be if they're working with minors, but that's not the case.  

In some states, all adults are mandatory reporters. Including the state that hosts DCI finals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

In some states, all adults are mandatory reporters. Including the state that hosts DCI finals.

Part of the issue with defining mandatory reporters is geographic in nature. States have their own definitions of who is mandatory...and where those who meet the mandatory criteria are supposed to report the potential abuse to. We are speaking in general terms as if it is clear cut, but it isn't. Also, what is considered "abuse" may vary by state. I am just glad this guy is gone. 

• Like 2

A few thoughts and questions.

Regarding mandatory reporting; 

do you report on what you “learn”, if it has come to you as hearsay?  Or Rumor without evidence?  Do you report without anything verifiable or confirmed ?  Do you report as a precaution?  Like “I  was told this by so and so (likely can’t be anonymous reporting) that blank did this”.

Or must you have confirmed proof before you report?

Now obviously first reporting should go to proper authorities; those not being corps admin or DCI.  I mean police. How much time should pass once the reporting person, learns of an incident, until they properly report it? Within 24 hours? Less?  What is a proper time frame.

I would then assume, after reporting an incident to police, the reporter would quickly report to the org.?  How quickly after is an appropriate time period?  Within a day?  I would also assume reporting to the org. would not be a one on one briefing.  I would hope it isn’t.  
Lastly, would it not be an unreasonable policy for DCI to create a reporting protocol for any person directly associated with a corps; volunteer, souvie sales, instructor, truck driver, cook, executive staff, ANYONE; that makes reporting to authorities, mandatory.  Geography notwithstanding.  State laws regarding mandatory adult reporting notwithstanding.  Report always, wherever it occurs. Wherever it is learned. 
Just my random thoughts to put some parameters to reporting criteria.

• Like 2

Mandatory reporting where I live requires training of what, exactly, to report.  If we see any of the warning signs we're trained on, then we must report it to a specific person in our building by law.  From there, individuals with increasing expertise in child abuse, including law enforcement, make decisions.  It takes any of the "do I want to get involved" out of the way because you're committing a crime that is very prosecutable if you don't automatically report.  

All adults who work in Indiana with minors do this?  If so, that's awesome. It's pretty specific roles in my state that are mandatory reporters, and a lot of adults who work with groups of kids in music/sports/clubs aren't specified as mandatory reporters. I think this might be what Mike was talking about with it having different meanings in different states.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LabMaster said:

A few thoughts and questions.

Regarding mandatory reporting; 

do you report on what you “learn”, if it has come to you as hearsay?  Or Rumor without evidence?  Do you report without anything verifiable or confirmed ?  Do you report as a precaution?  Like “I  was told this by so and so (likely can’t be anonymous reporting) that blank did this”.

Or must you have confirmed proof before you report?

Now obviously first reporting should go to proper authorities; those not being corps admin or DCI.  I mean police. How much time should pass once the reporting person, learns of an incident, until they properly report it? Within 24 hours? Less?  What is a proper time frame.

I would then assume, after reporting an incident to police, the reporter would quickly report to the org.?  How quickly after is an appropriate time period?  Within a day?  I would also assume reporting to the org. would not be a one on one briefing.  I would hope it isn’t.  
Lastly, would it not be an unreasonable policy for DCI to create a reporting protocol for any person directly associated with a corps; volunteer, souvie sales, instructor, truck driver, cook, executive staff, ANYONE; that makes reporting to authorities, mandatory.  Geography notwithstanding.  State laws regarding mandatory adult reporting notwithstanding.  Report always, wherever it occurs. Wherever it is learned. 
Just my random thoughts to put some parameters to reporting criteria.

The reason for reporting is so that a professional can investigate the situation. You will be asked how you learned the information, whether it be direct knowledge based on something you heard from the victim or something observed. In most cases, the observed would be signs of physical abuse or neglect. If you hear from another young person about something that happened, report it. In theory, rumors should be reported. Remember if you know something and do not report it, you could face charges. 

In my state the recommendations for schools, churches, youth organizations, etc. is to report it to the state youth services who will instruct you to call the police. You want a documented paper trail. Usually the verbal report to the state and police is to be made within 24 hours. The call to the police should be made immediately following the call to the state. A written report is usually due within a week. 

In most states, mandated reporters for an activity such as drum corps would include the director and any paid instructional staff that has direct contact with minors. Volunteers with direct contact with minors are mandated reporters. Some volunteers may not have direct contact due to their jobs with the corps, but it’s still a good idea to train them in spotting and reporting incidents of abuse. 

Making a report does put many people in uncomfortable situations. Keep a few things in mind. First of all, reportable situations are rare and when it comes to reports, the most common is neglect, followed by physical abuse and third is sexual abuse. With older young people such as drum corps, you may have a higher chance of inappropriate individuals, but reporting will more likely be the exception rather than the rule. In school settings, teachers often feel uncomfortable making reports. Often an administrator will do it, but you need to be present when the call is made. This is more for your protection than anything else.

Edited by Tim K

On 10/15/2021 at 12:52 PM, FTNK said:

do better, do do do do better

that should be the theme music on Flo...for DCi and Flo

• Haha 4