Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well, many of us said that when a now former director relocated to the west coast

So … Same as it ever was? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

… which brings us back to, “What was SCV thinking?”

Would SCV realistically have had any knowledge of this situation at the time their hiring decision was made, unless RCA disclosed it herself?  Following the timeline of events, I'm not sure anyone at that point in time (outside of the accused) knew that this situation could escalate to the levels it has.

In fact, based on the initial reports that suggested that the situation was quickly dealt with back in May, it could have even been viewed as a positive attribute if it did come to light.  The ability to swiftly handle a situation of that nature is a quality that's actually sought after now days in light of the old days of sweeping things under the rug.

It's also important to note that the appointment of RCA by SCV received a lot of praise within the activity, and I haven't seen anyone walk back that praise so far.  I have a lot of mutuals on FB that are very quick to blow the whistle and cancel out anyone that crosses a line, and there's been zero movement in that direction by any of them.

11 hours ago, BaritoneFan17 said:

At least 8 years with the program and she didn't know until May?

According to one of the articles, the organization first heard of this in the Spring. Apparently he was very good at staying under the radar, as far back as 2007. It is only now that his history is coming to light as the victims continue to come forward.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 1:00 AM, Jurassic Lancer said:

So … Same as it ever was? 

well kinda

14 hours ago, BaritoneFan17 said:

At least 8 years with the program and she didn't know until May?

well...look at the stories with Cadets from when that started until April 18 when it exploded

• Like 1

When did the Oregon HS Band morph into the independent Shadow Drum and Bugle Corps?

On the Shadow Marching Arts webpage it states "For 43 years, the Oregon High School Summer Marching Band (Oregon, WI) took the field each summer, competing in every season since MACBDA's inception" It appears the first year for the MACBDA championships was 1972, making 43 years later as 2015. While some bands that compete in the MSCBDA are not affiliated with a school, it appears the Oregon High School Summer Marching Band was part of the school district.

It also states " In 2016, our flagship program became Shadow Drum and Bugle Corps, and was accepted into the vaunted ranks of Marching Music's Major League, Drum Corps International"

While the district has stated he was never an employee of the district, it appears he did work for the summer marching band. 

Edited by DAvery
clarity

18 minutes ago, DAvery said:

When did the Oregon HS Band morph into the independent Shadow Drum and Bugle Corps? In the article it states cases go back to 2007. It looks like the Oregon HS band last won the MACBDA championships was 2009 and the Oregon Shadow Armada last won in 2015. Some bands that complete in the MSCBDA are affiliated with a school and some are not.  The first year the Shadow drum corps competed in DCI was 2016.

On the Shadow Marching Arts webpage it states "For 43 years, the Oregon High School Summer Marching Band (Oregon, WI) took the field each summer, competing in every season since MACBDA's inception" It appears the first year for the MACBDA championships was 1972, making 43 years later as 2015. 

It also states " In 2016, our flagship program became Shadow Drum and Bugle Corps, and was accepted into the vaunted ranks of Marching Music's Major League, Drum Corps International"

While the district has stated he was never an employee of the district, it appears he did work for the summer marching band. 

I believe it changed from a summer program for Oregon High to Shadow between 2015-2016. To compete they replaced woodwinds with brass and opened the ranks to high school students outside of the district. My understanding is that while not all Shadow instructors and volunteers were involved with the school program or employee by the district, the school vetted employees and volunteers of Shadow.

Prior to this situation, Shadow was viewed as a positive direction for drum corps, it limited the age of members from 14-18 and offered what many believed was a great experience. At least that’s how it appeared to me. It shows that even with the best of models, you cannot be too careful about employees and volunteers.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, Tim K said:

This is a sad decision, but one that may be in the best interest of the corps and most especially the young people involved. For corps that did not participate in the 2021 season, restarting will be a challenge. I recently spoke with someone who knows the director of an OC corps that is comparing it to competing for the first time. I might add that while this corps has not had a camp, it is a well established corps that already healthy interest in the 2022 season. For Shadow, add to this rebuilding the trust factor and it’s all the more challenging. My understanding is that Shadow is made up largely of high school sophomores who will be entering their junior year and juniors entering their senior year. Some schools call them ascending juniors and ascending seniors, but we’re still talking 15-17 year olds. Parents are not going to trust an overnight traveling music program.

There is also another factor to keep in mind. The article states that Oregon High School checked the credentials of  the man who has been fired. Most likely this would involve the people who check the background of new teachers, new aides, new support staff, the coaches for athletics, etc. The erosion of trust will involve more than the school’s summer music program, it will probably impact the entire high school, perhaps the school district. 

"The article states that Oregon High School checked the credentials of the man who has been fired."  I didn't read this anywhere. What I read was "Mr. Henzie Skogen is not and has not ever been employed by Oregon School District, so we would not be the organization to conduct an investigation".