Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Back on RAMD another loose cannon, She Who Must Never Be Named, also used to post accusations.  And I recall some of the more patient posters would tell her that she should take this to the police.  But a problem, statute of limitations aside, is that what jurisdiction did the assault occur?  Jurisdiction is important as that is where any crime will be investigated & potentially prosecuted.  I couldn't tell you what school we were at 30+ years ago, and that could be a problem w/r/t criminal prosecution.

I suggest that DCI hire someone to figure out which jurisdiction has the strongest reporting laws, and then adopt these as the DCI standard.  If something happens in a less-strict jurisdiction (not sure if that is the correct term), it gets reported anyway.  Then it becomes something the local justice system to resolve.  Obviously, any incident should also go through reporting to DCI, & get fixed by the Corps.  But by doing this, from a legal standpoint, the Corps should be in the clear - It happened, we reported it.  We fixed the problem internally, anything criminal-justice will happen separately in the appropriate jurisdiction.  

thats who i referred to. i thought thats who Jim was referring to, but then i realized the one hes discussing somehow conned his way into one of Naldoni's articles 3 years ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WilsonStaff said:

What is up with all the off topic content? Why derail the thread? Extremely distracting and not in accordance with the forum rules. 

thanks Dad

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I did report something in 2012.  Ignored, threatened, sent cease and desist letters… excoriated for the most part.  You better have a pretty thick skin (and an attorney) if you’re going to report something in drum corps.  The only one who listened to me was Tricia Nadolny six years later. 

you had believers on here. I was one of them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

From my perspective from a distance, the issue went far beyond not being listened to. It went to active persecution. That is a a much deeper level of arrogance. 

and in the end...that corps is for all intents and purposes dead, and even before they were dead, they were irrelevant for years

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thats who i referred to. i thought thats who Jim was referring to, but then i realized the one hes discussing somehow conned his way into one of Naldoni's articles 3 years ago

Yep… forgot that was one of her topics. 

Chicago Blackhawks are learning the lesson of waiting 3 weeks to report.  I'm glad the media is portraying it as a disservice to the victim(s) - it is.

I know WGI gets railed on here sometimes, but WGI REQUIRES training for all adults interacting with students about when and how to report.  It's actually pretty good (as good as trainings like that can be).

Hopefully that will be a trend catches on sooner rather than later in other parts of the activity.

Edited by NewToPosting
Fixed some weird wording
  • Like 1

I haven’t been on DCP in a few days and am just getting caught up. Since I last posted, there have been posts on about background checks and mandated reporting. No question criminal background checks are an important tool even if they don’t solve all problems if a person has never been charged. Mandated reporting for minors is the law. Some have suggested training in mandated reporting. Yes, it should be covered but as anyone who has been a teacher or school administrator can tell you, if you can dial 9-1-1 or if it is required you file a report with child/youth services, you can fill out a basic form which is usually just a name, address, and brief description, you know how to file a report. There’s no excuse for not reporting. 

A major area we are forgetting is supervision of staff and volunteers. In drum corps, everyone knows everyone else and this can be a problem. We’re less likely to watch people we know. This has to change. Observing and monitoring are critical. We need to be careful and watch those who spend too much time with the young people outside of rehearsal time. Do these folks have mature, appropriate interactions with adult staff and volunteers? If not, that is a sign of a problem. Which staff or volunteers are the rule breakers? Which folks undermine supervisors, directors, caption heads?  Which are the ones who have an answer for everything? Predators are often master manipulators. You also have to observe the young people. It’s important to determine which might be most vulnerable. 

Criminal background checks, along with mandated reporting and vigilant supervision are ways to keep predators away. The one situation it doesn’t solve us everybody knowing everyone else.

• Thanks 1