Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

4 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

The problems at SCV are really bad - much worse than many think.

They are, and I'm afraid the problems are past the ability of the current BOD to fix.

Let's see what happens at the Januals, but I'm hopeful that the DCI Board might help Vanguard put into place a committee to work with SCV's BOD to design and implement a plan for a genuine financial turnaround. There are some good business heads around the activity, and with the right mix of personalities, they could help Vanguard identify some opportunities and inefficiencies that would allow them to rebuild with responsible financial oversight (even if, gasp, it means they have to let go some high profile staff people).

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

They are, and I'm afraid the problems are past the ability of the current BOD to fix.

Let's see what happens at the Januals, but I'm hopeful that the DCI Board might help Vanguard put into place a committee to work with SCV's BOD to design and implement a plan for a genuine financial turnaround. There are some good business heads around the activity, and with the right mix of personalities, they could help Vanguard identify some opportunities and inefficiencies that would allow them to rebuild with responsible financial oversight (even if, gasp, it means they have to let go some high profile staff people).

A good idea but why stop at Vanguard? I’m sure most of the WC corps could use the opportunity to brainstorm new revenue sources. While they’re at it maybe they could look at ways of cutting operating expenses too?

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

A good idea but why stop at Vanguard? I’m sure most of the WC corps could use the opportunity to brainstorm new revenue sources. While they’re at it maybe they could look at ways of cutting operating expenses too?

There are corps in the WC group more successful or better at managing money, moreso than others. Some corps who are good, are more than willing to offer ideas and advice to those other corps who would reach out to learn and take on some strategies to help themselves.  So why don’t corps reach out for help? Is it because of egos?  Is it because they think they can do it all themselves? Do they think they are smarter than the average bear? There are corps who are very sure they know better,  but are now finding out they are not on sure footing. Unless corps take a very hard look at their operational and fiscal functions there will be others following SCV’s current path.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

SCV in September 2022: We are appointing Rebecca Compton-Allen as the Director of Program Management to oversee strategic planning, administrative operations, and infrastructure improvement. She was the director of SVC in 2022.

SCV in December 2022: The Tour in 22 spent significantly more money than we should have; we exceeded our budgeted amounts in every category. In hindsight, we repeatedly made bad administrative decisions that now threaten the existence of the Vanguard organization.

PLEASE HELP THIS MAKE SENSE. 

Is the executive leadership this out of touch or unaware? Does the BOD provide such poor oversight that this is allowed to happen?

The problems at SCV are really bad - much worse than many think.

BINGO!!

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Let's see what happens at the Januals, but I'm hopeful that the DCI Board might help Vanguard put into place a committee to work with SCV's BOD to design and implement a plan for a genuine financial turnaround.

I know you're coming at this with good intentions and some creative thinking. But asking current DCI board people to get involved in helping out SCV board people sounds like a mess to me.

The SCV board members ought to be grown up enough to seek out help on their own, if they need it. I know it seems like they obviously need it, but I'm assuming they are involved in some sort of study, reflection, and discussion right now anyway. Their situation is way too embarrassing for them not to be.

• Like 6

On 12/24/2022 at 1:46 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

Overspending isn't always the fault of the person doing the spending.

It partly is, of course. But you have boards to establish policy and oversight so that one person doesn't bring things down. The current SCV situation, including the revolving door of staff of the past few years, is entirely the fault of the board.

It is the job of board members to ensure any organization functions properly, meets clearly defined goals (strategic and operational), and is sustainable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I know you're coming at this with good intentions and some creative thinking. But asking current DCI board people to get involved in helping out SCV board people sounds like a mess to me.

The SCV board members ought to be grown up enough to seek out help on their own....

Nah bruh, just approaching this with real world experience in rebuilding companies whose owners/Boards have allowed inexperience or hubris to put their businesses into failure mode.  The talking points in the vid from the current ED did nothing to dissuade experienced folks that the organization is simply in over their heads, and they're gonna need help.

DCI, as a business, has a vested interest in keeping their major marquee brands on the field, hence my guess that they will take some role in helping Vanguard put together an advisory team to fix the situation.

Edited by Slingerland

On 12/25/2022 at 2:45 PM, mjoakes said:

It partly is, of course. But you have boards to establish policy and oversight so that one person doesn't bring things down. The current SCV situation, including the revolving door of staff of the past few years, is entirely the fault of the board.

It is the job of board members to ensure any organization functions properly, meets clearly defined goals (strategic and operational), and is sustainable.

You are preaching to the choir.

Both of us are tuned in to symptoms that normally indicate leadership issues, that then affect operations... that's more productive than blaming operations for this hiatus. That's also been my point in this thread, which seems to want to blame RCA. Or the next individual who's unable to single-handedly make VMAPA function in a healthy sustainable way in less than a year.

The difference between us is that you and most people are only speaking current symptoms. Others have been pointing out symptoms like this since long before the current leadership. Leave the past in the past? Not if symptoms of the same old issues seem to still be around.

Not looking at the whole picture will just mean everyone keeps kicking the can down the road, unwilling to address what is actually needed for a healthy, sustainable organization.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mjoakes said:

The SCV board members ought to be grown up enough to seek out help on their own, if they need it. I know it seems like they obviously need it, but I'm assuming they are involved in some sort of study, reflection, and discussion right now anyway. Their situation is way too embarrassing for them not to be.

13 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Nah bruh, just approaching this with real world experience in rebuilding companies whose owners/Boards have allowed inexperience or hubris to put their businesses into failure mode.  The talking points in the vid from the current ED did nothing to dissuade experienced folks that the organization is simply in over their heads, and they're gonna need help.

DCI, as a business, has a vested interest in keeping their major marquee brands on the field, hence my guess that they will take some role in helping Vanguard put together an advisory team to fix the situation.

mjoakes in real life teaches business at the college level.  I suspect his insight is of value.

The point is that the powers that be in DCI need first to realize that there is a problem before they can attempt to fix the problem.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
further pontification
  • Thanks 1