Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The point is that the powers that be in DCI need first to realize that there is a problem before they can attempt to fix the problem.

Over the past few years, similar comments have been posted about other issues DCI has needed to address. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Nah bruh, just approaching this with real world experience in rebuilding companies whose owners/Boards have allowed inexperience or hubris to put their businesses into failure mode.  The talking points in the vid from the current ED did nothing to dissuade experienced folks that the organization is simply in over their heads, and they're gonna need help.

DCI, as a business, has a vested interest in keeping their major marquee brands on the field, hence my guess that they will take some role in helping Vanguard put together an advisory team to fix the situation.

As much as I'm a long-time fan of Vanguard and I don't want a season without them, I hope they don't receive any special treatment from DCI that other non-marquee groups wouldn't receive. 

Edited by billj
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:16 PM, Slingerland said:

Nah bruh, just approaching this with real world experience in rebuilding companies whose owners/Boards have allowed inexperience or hubris to put their businesses into failure mode.  The talking points in the vid from the current ED did nothing to dissuade experienced folks that the organization is simply in over their heads, and they're gonna need help.

DCI, as a business, has a vested interest in keeping their major marquee brands on the field, hence my guess that they will take some role in helping Vanguard put together an advisory team to fix the situation.

Talk about hubris.

DCI is the non-profit agency that administers a competitive league, not a brand-managing business.  It is not their place to bail out some corps and abandon others based on branding.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Talk about hubris.

DCI is the non-profit agency that administers a competitive league, not a brand-managing business.  It is not their place to bail out some corps and abandon others based on branding.

Is it both? I don't know, and many of us are confused.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Talk about hubris.

Right. Dci is the corps until one corps runs into trouble. Then it’s all the corps but one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

DCI, as originally designed, is meant to organize the tour schedule and administer the contests and media... period.  Running the non-profit that each drum corps is now is up to the organizations themselves.  This is not the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL where the admin structure is the individual owners running the league and making sure the health of the overall league is up to their standards.  DCI's board are simply corps admin that get together to make an hour's worth of decisions and then go back to running their corps.  That's always been my understanding of the power structure.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Right. Dci is the corps until one corps runs into trouble. Then it’s all the corps but one

What did the “ DCI organization” do to help Glassmen? Though I respect SCV for their legendary history with DCI, why should they get “special treatment”?

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

What did the “ DCI organization” do to help Glassmen? Though I respect SCV for their legendary history with DCI, why should they get “special treatment”?

It's a fair question, and I basically said the same, however... How many more corps skipping a season or folding will take DCI below a critical mass? I think we're getting close, and I'd like to think that the corps have a vested interest in keeping enough corps viable.

4 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Okay, then.  I am definitely going to the Janual.  I am going to start my own corps... better yet, two corps.  I am naming one the Anaheim Kingsmen, and the other Star of Indiana.  This will be a snap, now that DCI appoints committees to solve $2 million annual funding gaps for important corps brands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, then.  I am definitely going to the Janual.  I am going to start my own corps... better yet, two corps.  I am naming one the Anaheim Kingsmen, and the other Star of Indiana.  This will be a snap, now that DCI appoints committees to solve $2 million annual funding gaps for important corps brands.

I'll see your 2 corps and raise you a 27th and a Bridgemen

• Thanks 1