Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

If that’s true, why is Mr Atchison in charge of DCI, why does DCI need an office/staff? Why don’t member corps’ representatives staff the DCI organization?

DCI is the umbrella organization to which the corps belong. If the umbrella isn’t taking a proactive approach to ensuring the viability of the corps underneath that umbrella then it’s time for paradigm shift.

It stays the same because the paradigm shift would be more painful than maintaining the status quo.   Until things become too painful, nothing will change.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

If that’s true, why is Mr Atchison in charge of DCI, why does DCI need an office/staff? Why don’t member corps’ representatives staff the DCI organization?

DCI is the umbrella organization to which the corps belong. If the umbrella isn’t taking a proactive approach to ensuring the viability of the corps underneath that umbrella then it’s time for paradigm shift.

DCI is a membership organization. It serves to provide resources and coordination among (and amongst) the member drum corps. 

If you aren't familiar with how membership organizations run, perhaps this will help.  Think of an HOA for a condo development. The condo owners themselves are the owners. They elect a board of directors that provides representative oversight of shared interests. The BOD hires a management organization to provide services to all owners such as managing shared property, coordinating events, managing maintenance, etc...

In DCI, Corps are the condo owners (specifically, World Class Corps) and the staff (including Dan Atkinson) serve at the direction of the Board of Directors. The BOD is Dan Atkinson's supervisor.  

Hope that helps a little.

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is a non-argument. I don't have the power to silence anyone and I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. Silencing would be me leveraging power I don't have on this board to erase others' comments just because I disagree with them. I can't and I wouldn't do that even if I could.

I didn't even diminish what has been said so far in this thread, because many comments are valid. Point of fact, I said if it has to do with RCA (the good, the bad, the ugly) it should be here... but no one has commented on her for pages. If it has to do with other factors (like the board, other leadership, or DCI) then it belongs in another thread that doesn't have an individual's name on it who's been with the org for less than a year.

Ultimately, if folks are looking to blame RCA fine, but they're being distracted and wasting energy because threads upon threads have indicated that the problems run deeper than anything a new hire can accomplish in less than a year.

She was never the captain of VMAPA (that would be the board and ED) and many others have indicated that the concerns leading to the ship going down occurred higher up than her. Unless, of course, anyone besides you or me has further speculation about her to offer...which, again, hasn't been the case for pages.

Unless I missed it, which I don't think I have, VMAPA isn't ceasing operations, just not fielding either corps for 2023, which means that as director of SCV, she is part of the ship going down, and more than likely had a hand in operations as director of the head corps. I'm just saying that she more than likely had a hand in it, no matter how deep the septic tank runs. Anyone who had any decision making in the organization has some sort of "blood" on their hands in my opinion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

Unless I missed it, which I don't think I have, VMAPA isn't ceasing operations, just not fielding either corps for 2023, which means that as director of SCV, she is part of the ship going down, and more than likely had a hand in operations as director of the head corps.

VMAPA is halting the major engines by which it demonstrates its only mission, for which it is responsible to the federal government and its constituents. That seems to be because of issues within and way beyond any corps director's role.

24 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

I'm just saying that she more than likely had a hand in it, no matter how deep the septic tank runs. Anyone who had any decision making in the organization has some sort of "blood" on their hands in my opinion.

Indeed. I've argued just that in other threads.

But riddle me this: how many pages back do you have to search to find a comment about RCA? I'm not saying that bc no one is commenting about her that she was perfect or that she shouldn't be accountable for all choices she made. I'm saying that if comments in this thread aren't about that, then they're further muddying the water.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m in for Muchachos & Velvet Knights.  

I'll raise you a St. Catherine's Queensmen please.

2 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

DCI is a membership organization. It serves to provide resources and coordination among (and amongst) the member drum corps. 

If you aren't familiar with how membership organizations run, perhaps this will help.  Think of an HOA for a condo development. The condo owners themselves are the owners. They elect a board of directors that provides representative oversight of shared interests. The BOD hires a management organization to provide services to all owners such as managing shared property, coordinating events, managing maintenance, etc...

In DCI, Corps are the condo owners (specifically, World Class Corps) and the staff (including Dan Atkinson) serve at the direction of the Board of Directors. The BOD is Dan Atkinson's supervisor.  

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks. I appreciate your explanation. I am quite familiar with HOAs seeing that I live in a community that is run by an HOA. Can’t get away from them in Arizona.

“The BOD hires a management organization to provide services to all owners”. That’s the point I’m feebly trying to make. Why wouldn’t one of those services be break outs at DCI’s annual meeting that addresses financial and logistics support where all “owners” can discuss/brainstorm the successes/hardships each owner goes through that could benefit the whole? It would behoove the management company to cover their bases especially after one of their flagship customers are caught in dire straits.

Trust me, I’ve voted out HOA management companies because they did not provide the support/resources our HOA needed.