DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

For sure they'll be adding low brass and turn down the synth bass goo. 

Yeah, I did the Ace Ventura faux laugh when I typed that, too. 

The majority of new spots will be guard most likely, because I have seen the future of dci and it is wgi.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Lance said:

For sure they'll be adding low brass and turn down the synth bass goo. 

Yeah, I did the Ace Ventura faux laugh when I typed that, too. 

The majority of new spots will be guard most likely, because I have seen the future of dci and it is wgi.  

My 😆 was for the first two lines.

Hmmm… out of percussion, horns, electronics and what the guard uses…. which is cheapest? Way to add members and keep equipment costs down:

lol… just left an Ollie’s (good stuff cheap) store so thinking low costs… Actually the building that replaced the original store

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My 😆 was for the first two lines.

Hmmm… out of percussion, horns, electronics and what the guard uses…. which is cheapest? Way to add members and keep equipment costs down:

lol… just left an Ollie’s (good stuff cheap) store so thinking low costs… Actually the building that replaced the original store

haha, yeah

my whole dci will become wgi thing is exaggerated, of course.  i don't see music becoming totally pre-recorded for dci shows, but i do see hornlines and percussion decreasing in coming years...think featured ensembles to accompany visual.  as you said, it's a lot cheaper, and since mics and amps have become the norm for full sections nowadays, why bother with having a big, expensive hornline?  i don't think it's that far-fetched given the pretty overwhelming trend we've seen in scoring allotment for visual.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Larger guards (more flags) always make your corps look bigger. I love seeing all guard members on flag and in that perfect unison. Nothing against rifles (but I do draw the line at hoola hoops), but when everyone is on flag and going to town, that always brings a cheer from me. 

You know what makes corps look even bigger?  Uniforms like this.

($1 to Sutasaurus)

wig-fashion.gif

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

It doesn't increase costs.  No additional bus.  It worked fine last year.

Correct.  The whole reason was to save money (ie fill the buses).   Like airplanes, charter buses have squeezed in more seats so now they can fill those 11 additional seats.  Eleven more paying members.  In some cases, it may mean less alternates and more playing members.  No corps is going to add a bus for 11 people.  

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And of course so many new corps are coming up, it isn’t going to matter if we lose a few. 🤬 Back I’m RAMD days I predicted we would go down to 12-14 DCI corps. DCI would handle logistics and the corps would travel in 2 groups. At halfway in season they would shuffle and all 12-14 at Championships. 
Heading that way just later than I predicted 

I’ve always said, I mean for decades, that DCI operates on the premise of “you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet”.  There will end up being five or six “supercorps” when all of this is said and done. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

WOW....so much cynicism on DCP.   I don't imagine anyone noticed how the vote was UNANIMOUS to increase the size.  Also, I don't know where some of you folks have been , but there haven't been chaperones on buses in at least 50 years.  Also, in most cases, instructional staff, support personnel, and even the cooking crew have their own busses.  In the case of Boston, the cooking crew and the staff each have their own sleeper buses, which means they can get a full night sleep in actual bunks during the nightly treks.  I don not imagine BAC is alone in this.  I am glad they increased the size limit.  Jeez, some of those TEXAS high school bands could probably fill up four drum corps each if they wanted to.

34 minutes ago, craiga said:

WOW....so much cynicism on DCP.   I don't imagine anyone noticed how the vote was UNANIMOUS to increase the size.  Also, I don't know where some of you folks have been , but there haven't been chaperones on buses in at least 50 years.  Also, in most cases, instructional staff, support personnel, and even the cooking crew have their own busses.  In the case of Boston, the cooking crew and the staff each have their own sleeper buses, which means they can get a full night sleep in actual bunks during the nightly treks.  I don not imagine BAC is alone in this.  I am glad they increased the size limit.  Jeez, some of those TEXAS high school bands could probably fill up four drum corps each if they wanted to.

Where have I been… well never with a DCI corps so that’s why I ask questions.

As for cynicism…. did Senior corps when gas tripped and economy took a downturn. Raising costs killed a lot of corps and lot of local shows in smaller towns. Less shows… more travel as shows further apart… higher transportation costs… corps needed higher prize money so shows raised ticket prices… higher price so less attendees.. got to the point where show lost money so.. bye…

Seeing all that up close when DCI or DCA makes a change my first thought is cost…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, craiga said:

Also, I don't know where some of you folks have been , but there haven't been chaperones on buses in at least 50 years. 

To quote the late Mrs. Williams on nighttime bus trips...." Let me see your hands, young man!!"

• Haha 2