DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

Just a couple of points to consider when referring to increased revenue and bus capacity.  Many corps already carried additional mm’s above the 154 count, with spares.  So there was already additional revenue received from spares.  There were sufficient seats on busses for these added mm’s. So no additional busses were needed for the mm’s on tour.  All other operational needs and costs were covered.  The increase however may come from spares over the 165 count.

The increase in revenue generated from 154 to 165 is under 7% and probably is absorbed in operational costs.  I don’t know if spares pay the full freight performing mm’s do.   They likely pay full tuition.

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had a couple of music majors in my privately owned (not part of the college) dorm. #### thing was next to a salvage yard so figure how “nice” it was. Watching Muppet Show in TV lounge and someone said Animal was a “typical percussion major”. One guy who normally was quiet, just went tearing out of the lounge. Then we remembered… “oh yeah, Ron’s a percussion major” 😬

edit: dang hadn’t thought of this guy for decades so I googled. He’s a percussionist for Nashville Symphony Orchestra. And looks like he’s arranged for some films. Freaking wow…

In my experience a quite drummer seems like an oxymoron.

• Haha 2

Mandatory flub lines for every corps was an addendum to this proposal.  🙂

• Haha 2

Drum corps is going to do what drum corps is going to do. 

When instrumentation changed, corps vowed they’d never switch from Key of G to B-flat. They did.

I recall a few corps, one publicly, swear you would never see trombones in their ranks. Never say never.

The top corps are going to do what they feel they need to do to be competitive and where the vote to increase size was unanimous, other corps must not see it as a problem. Personally, I wish corps waited until 2023 for the increase. Some WC corps and quite a few OC corps are going to have to completely restart this year which may be more of a challenge than it was for the corps that fielded a show in 2021. 

Regarding which corps could be hurt by increased size, my thought would be the WC corps that place out of the Top 12. Are you going to want to march with a corps that might make finals when you have a better shot at a corps that will make finals? It could also impact some OC corps that have members who want to eventually march WC and use OC for experience, though when you consider many in this category are high school age and parents often do not want a fifteen or sixteen year old spending a summer with kids over 18, it may not. Some OC corps will not be that impacted. There are a few OC corps with talented members who for many reasons want a quality drum corps experience but not the intensity or commitment of OC and in a few cases, some kids in some OC corps just want to march, and that’s fine. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In my experience a quite drummer seems like an oxymoron.

LMAO this guy was… just… very… intense…. Nice guy but full conversation was “how are you” and get “fine” as a response. Think he was set on making this his career and 100% of his concentration was on that. No party hardy, any spare time was at the music building

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Just a couple of points to consider when referring to increased revenue and bus capacity.  Many corps already carried additional mm’s above the 154 count, with spares.  So there was already additional revenue received from spares.  There were sufficient seats on busses for these added mm’s. So no additional busses were needed for the mm’s on tour.  

So what happens to them now?  If fielding 165 fills those bus seats, then they would need another vehicle to bring alternates on tour.  Suddenly, alternates have become cost-prohibitive.

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am pretty confident that the best people to judge the financial impact of the increase of the size of corps is the corps themselves. It is not posters on this forum who don’t even have the benefit of reviewing the corps financials. Did I hear this was a unanimous vote? The corps knew what they were voting for and what the financial impact would be.

Yep.  And when considering anything like this, finances are going to be a part of the decision. That's just stating the obvious. But yeah, nobody knows the degree to which it impacts any individual corps financially or any other specifics, really.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Smaller corps need a voice at the table.

You are 100% right..This requires more than talk from people but physical support, butts in seats, a louder voice demanding what their wants and unique needs may be BUT it all starts with less talk and more support. $$$$$ ( for the good or bad of it ) always gets the attention

• Thanks 2