DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

How many bottom end corps will disband because of this?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Correct.  Transportation is the biggest cost.  Adding 11 paying members without adding transportation expenses equals a considerable net positive.  Corps I know of use BSA for insurance (hence the reason they are BSA Explorer Posts).  That insurance was super cheap (~$2 a person).  It’s gone up considerably with all of the lawsuits against BSA but still <$50 a person.  Uniforms are pretty cheap.  After transportation, food is the next biggest incremental cost and it’s not more than $1500 per person.  At $4500 for tuition, I think these 11 would bring in a net positive of $2000-$2500 per member.

Oh hmm.  I wonder how the BSA bankruptcy / reorganization plan thing might upend corps using BSA. 

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Marching a Top 6 DCI World Class Division Drum Corps is also considered resume building too among some in today's generation, we might add to some of the reasons.. it is what is as to why auditioneers who don't make the spot in ( for example ) a  DCI TOP 6 Drum Corps, just decide to wait and try out next year, or next few years, or just simply say forget it.

I dunno, Boss.....kids today, who can figure them out. They're missing out on so much. Not to plead BITD, but I'll plead BITD, I went from a smaller corps to a much larger/much more successful corps for one year, didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the small corps and returned to the small corps the next year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I dunno, Boss.....kids today, who can figure them out. They're missing out on so much. Not to plead BITD, but I'll plead BITD, I went from a smaller corps to a much larger/much more successful corps for one year, didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the small corps and returned to the small corps the next year. 

That’s part of the issue from what I read. BITD members had more of a chance to march more than one season. Today due to cost and other conflicts a good many can only do corps for one season so they try to make that one time really count

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s part of the issue from what I read. BITD members had more of a chance to march more than one season. Today due to cost and other conflicts a good many can only do corps for one season so they try to make that one time really count

Yeah, that's a good point and very true. So many other options for kids now.

4 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's what seems a little off to me, or maybe I'm just not getting it. If a recruit really wants "the experience", why would which corps he/she chooses or winds up with make that much of a difference? Or is the experience just translate to a medal chase? If I shoot for SCV's snare line and fail and my next offer is Pacific Crest, I take it. I still get "a" experience, maybe not "THE" experience. 

I learned this the hard way. My very 1st year of auditions, I got placed in the snare line. I was NOT ready by any means whatsoever. After a few hard camps, I developed tendonitis. Needless to say, I got cut. They offered a position in the cymbal line. For some reason, my 16 year old ego could NOT take it. I did a LOT of growing up that summer facing some real regrets. In the end it made me a better performer and a better person. 

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

How many bottom end corps will disband because of this?

Well, nobody here is clairvoyant, so nobody really knows for certain if it will be 1-4, or none. All we can likely say for certain is that this measure voted on by the World Class Division Corps for themselves ( without the Open Class Corps input, nor vote on the measure ) won't make their already precarious position as Drum Corps in the DCI Family of Corps strengthened in any manner. DCI 's structure is not an egalitarian structured organization. That seems pretty clear.( It was not structured that way by DCI's Founders in Oct. 1971.)  But, its a voluntary organization too, so all Corps know what the structure is before committing its Corps to joining. All membership Corps know who can vote, and on what proposals... and who are not allowed to vote, and on what proposals they are prohibited under the DCI By Laws from voting on.

Edited by Boss Anova