DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:
  • If they folded prior to 1972, DCI had nothing to do with it.  
  • If they folded 1972 or later, DCI had nothing to do with it. 

Got it!

Sincerely now, a question.  Can you name two corps no longer with us that were not "mismanaged"?  Or does their absence prove "mismanagement"?

The only corps which comes to mind that is no longer with us and clearly not mismanaged is Star of Indiana, and nobody can say with a straight face that DCI made rules which harmed THEM.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, craiga said:

For the record, I was one of the founding staff people for the 20th Maine, and actually lived in Oakland and it is nowhere near southern Maine. Neither is Lewiston.  But, glad I have been able to give you a convenient target. Ironically, EVERY corps listed here went away due to horrendous mismanagement, which makes my point.

The only corps from Maine to ever have any DCI involvement was 20th, and after a brief 3 year life (including 2 DCI tours, btw) they folded because the chief fundraiser turned out to be a con man from Ohio who was wanted by the FBI.

So again, DCI had NOTHING to do with these corps going away.

Was he from NY? initials JV?

You guys. This is just a distraction for when they sneak in woodwinds! Don't be distracted!!!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, craiga said:

Your "criminally inaccurate" is so over the top that it virtually negates every other thing you said.   As for the numbers in the 70's and 80's and the financial prowess of many of those smaller drum corps, I need no lectures from you about the activity then.  I spent my teen years immersed in the Massachusetts drum corps scene specifically, and very few, if any had working BODs and financial plans.  And, I am not just referring to the Braintree Braves, who had a total membership of 8 and travelled to shows in a station wagon.  Even the 27th Lancers, who were a fierce competitor at the highest levels of DCI ended up having to throw the towel in because, as George Bonfiglio told the audience at a show one  summer, the busses were simply unsafe to travel on. Lastly, I wasn't insulting ANY corps, simply pointing out the fact the the activity is completely different now than it was 45 years ago, and the DCI Rules Congress has had little, if any impact on the groups without money. DCI had nothing whatever with the old Mayflower Circuit, CYO Circuit, or the Eastern Mass Circuit folding their tents.  Any suggestion to the contrary is pure fabrication and revisionist history.

Did the station wagon have a wood grain siding?  (Back on topic). By my calculations, the new WC membership of 165 would require 20.625 station wagons for their tour transportation.  :whistle:  

34 minutes ago, craiga said:

The only corps which comes to mind that is no longer with us and clearly not mismanaged is Star of Indiana

Then there is no room for discussion with you.

We have a fundamental philosophical difference of opinion.  You apparently believe that any drum corps that is no longer in operation at that scale or larger (i.e. Blast!) was mismanaged, by definition.  

Drum corps are mission-driven, non-profit organizations.  In many cases, the mission was to provide a youth activity to the local community.  In many cases, there came a time when that mission ended because:

declining youth population available in the community
burnout due to increasing time/money required for drum corps
declining performance opportunities

Add to that some number of other orgs who found their mission more readily achievable via a different art/sport.  Even switching to WGI is just another form of "mismanagement" in your worldview.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Did the station wagon have a wood grain siding?  (Back on topic). By my calculations, the new WC membership of 165 would require 20.625 station wagons for their tour transportation.  :whistle:  

Hey my Mom had one of those..or similar. I think it was a Pinto. Wood?? LOL..no, it was a decal. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

A Vega held 4 people.

That means a corps would need 41.25 Vegas to get from A to B.

However, if the corps were to purchase a fleet of K-cars, they would only need 27.5 as the K-car was able to hold 6 people.  

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

A Vega held 4 people.

That means a corps would need 41.25 Vegas to get from A to B.

However, if the corps were to purchase a fleet of K-cars, they would only need 27.5 as the K-car was able to hold 6 people.  

However, a corps would be able to save a considerable amount of vehicle expense by purchase something like this, which I think will hold at least 50 drum majors. 

1861093?width=780&height=497

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This was the only place in the world, ever, where a corps could experience a full and busy season of drum corps field competition within a 15 mile radius of home.

When I lived in Belleville IL in late 1990s, I was at library helping daughter go through newspaper microfiche for a school project.  Came across a 1959 paper with front-page story about previous evenings Drum Corps competition.  12 Corps (4 all-girl), from a 20+/- mile radius.

I am fully aware that most of these were likely in the 40-50 member range, but when all the Corps are that size it can be quite a battle - will American Woodman Cadets brass outscore Millstadt Crusaders drums?  Will the Bellettes outscore their crosstown rivals the Gabrielettes?  

I know I am in a small minority, perhaps because I marched in a small Corps, but I had an absolute blast and still enjoy watching Open Class Corps.  I wish there were still local or regional circuits (i.e., Eastern Mass, DCM) that could provide a life-changing opportunity for people who want to perform, but for whatever reason can't do DCI.  Yes, I know DCA exists, but unless you live in the northeastern US that really isn't an option .

• Like 1