DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Hey my Mom had one of those..or similar. I think it was a Pinto. Wood?? LOL..no, it was a decal. 

The 'Pinto' was the Ford version of the Chevy 'Vega'.  It also had a potential explosion issue in a 'rear-end' crash due to the gas thank placement or protection?  🤔 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

2 hours ago, Continental said:

The local Detroit radio station played that song 100 times a day back then.  Ok, I may be exaggerating.  It might have been around 50 times a day. 

2 hours ago, Continental said:

Perhaps I confused it with Tony Tenille. 

Thanks for the 'earworms'.  :dancin:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

4 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

The 'Pinto' was the Ford version of the Chevy 'Vega'.  It also had an potential explosion issue in a 'rear-end' crash due to the gas thank placement or protection?  🤔 

And according to legend.. thank price. Supposedly adding a clip or other protection to keep the gas tank from splitting would have made the price over $2,000. And Pinto was billed as “under 2000 pounds and under $2000”. Ex girlfriend had one, felt less safe in that than my POS 9 year old Impala…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And according to legend.. thank price. Supposedly adding a clip or other protection to keep the gas tank from splitting would have made the price over $2,000. And Pinto was billed as “under 2000 pounds and under $2000”. Ex girlfriend had one, felt less safe in that than my POS 9 year old Impala…

I loved my “Squinto”. Yes, it was a POS

(A 1977 Sport model) but it was my very first brand new car.

Edited by Sutasaurus

On 10/4/2021 at 10:22 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

There are ways to reduce food costs or at least there were at one time. My father was a regional manager for a dining services company. He was approached by several corps from what he said but he mostly spoke about Suncoast being the first to really approach him about professional companies run the dining services end. Sadly, he's gone now. But he always had that connection. 

it's been proposed on other occasions, but the problem was where corps go don't always line up with where the companies could get to in a timely...or cost effective fashion. i know i spoke to at least 3/4 directors about this a decade or so ago.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's what seems a little off to me, or maybe I'm just not getting it. If a recruit really wants "the experience", why would which corps he/she chooses or winds up with make that much of a difference? Or is the experience just translate to a medal chase? If I shoot for SCV's snare line and fail and my next offer is Pacific Crest, I take it. I still get "a" experience, maybe not "THE" experience. 

but like anything in the world today, if it's not the best, it's not worth it.

how many people became tampa Bay fans just because brady went there? why is it you always see the same NFL teams on in the prime tv slots? why is it the Yankees and Red Sox seem to have every game against each other on ESPN? Why is way too many fans skip the first several corps at a show to hang out in the lot?

because society is all about the top of the top

On 10/4/2021 at 1:47 PM, KeithHall said:

How many bottom end corps will disband because of this?

i doubt it because the 11 kids per corps most likely weren't going to those corps anyway

On 10/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, cixelsyd said:
  • If they folded prior to 1972, DCI had nothing to do with it.  
  • If they folded 1972 or later, DCI had nothing to do with it. 

Got it!

Sincerely now, a question.  Can you name two corps no longer with us that were not "mismanaged"?  Or does their absence prove "mismanagement"?

it's true DCI made some decisions that affected corps. but it's not the sole reason. Too many tried to be more than they were and busted out in the process. even before DCI became all powerful I remember going to the Eastern Circuit and whatever other circuit did shows in eastern PA, and the crowd was smaller than most corps...and i am talking back in the mid 70's. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, GUARDLING said:

The belief that the changing time wasn't happening, mis management , youths changing needs etc etc is a huge part of the contribution to the failure and and eventual dimise of many things , including many corps. Denial was for sure a factor for many. 

Even today in recent history some very good people should never have been in charge of some corps and led to either temporary success fast failure or eventual failure.

some folded because management had to do other things in life and there was no one willing to take over

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then there is no room for discussion with you.

We have a fundamental philosophical difference of opinion.  You apparently believe that any drum corps that is no longer in operation at that scale or larger (i.e. Blast!) was mismanaged, by definition.  

Drum corps are mission-driven, non-profit organizations.  In many cases, the mission was to provide a youth activity to the local community.  In many cases, there came a time when that mission ended because:

declining youth population available in the community
burnout due to increasing time/money required for drum corps
declining performance opportunities

Add to that some number of other orgs who found their mission more readily achievable via a different art/sport.  Even switching to WGI is just another form of "mismanagement" in your worldview.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

some switched because the corps just wasn't drawing. maybe being in the mid 80's but stuck in mid 70's design played a part. i wont mention names, but i know that happened to one. and looking at the guard program now, it's more like 2010 design in 2021

• Like 2