DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

On 10/1/2021 at 10:22 AM, cixelsyd said:

So what happens to them now?  If fielding 165 fills those bus seats, then they would need another vehicle to bring alternates on tour.  Suddenly, alternates have become cost-prohibitive.

Maybe shows aren’t written to the max mm’s so the can have only a few spares.  Maybe fewer than previously. But maybe the corps cap mm’s at the max and end up increasing op costs much less than folks here are thinking they are headed or being less of a money grab than they were thinking.  I guess what I’m saying is the ops cost increase isn’t excessive after all, and revenue generated by tuitions is as much as believed either, because the added mm count isn’t a lot higher than it has been.  Maybe.

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then you can understand my concern each time the drum corps activity heaps an additional self-imposed challenge on top of that pile.

some of the items described as self imposed often amount o nothing though. a lot of the sky is falling.

the long time main concerns have been food, fuel, housing and insurance. even if you revert back to a regional model, you're not going to bus all over for 3/4 days then send the kids home are you? No, you'll be somewhere and rehearse and you'll have housing and food and insurance issues.

IMO one of the biggest budget issues is 6 weeks of spring training at facilities that don't come free and you're not earning a penny in revenue

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Sorry for responding to this so late, but I was thinking about this. I support Bluecoats financially. I am sure that is no surprise, but I never felt badgered to give more. Yes, there are campaigns from time to time, but nothing excessive. I am aware of a certain former corps director, who shall remain unnamed, who shamelessly solicited funds every chance he got, but my experience with corps fundraising has been very positive.

notice i mentioned no names. some ask once and done. others don't. and not just that one guy whose every waking moment was begging for money, mainly so he could keep getting paid

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

some of the items described as self imposed often amount o nothing though. a lot of the sky is falling.

the long time main concerns have been food, fuel, housing and insurance. even if you revert back to a regional model, you're not going to bus all over for 3/4 days then send the kids home are you? No, you'll be somewhere and rehearse and you'll have housing and food and insurance issues.

IMO one of the biggest budget issues is 6 weeks of spring training at facilities that don't come free and you're not earning a penny in revenue

ST is very costly. And this year proved that four weeks can work pretty well — as long as design complexities / performance expectations are adjusted. A lot of traditional ST design can be added as the season progresses. As it is, lot is added during the last two weeks or so, but there isn’t any reason major changes can’t be added from week one. 

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Sorry for responding to this so late, but I was thinking about this. I support Bluecoats financially. I am sure that is no surprise, but I never felt badgered to give more. Yes, there are campaigns from time to time, but nothing excessive. I am aware of a certain former corps director, who shall remain unnamed, who shamelessly solicited funds every chance he got, but my experience with corps fundraising has been very positive.

Then you will be happy to know that the Bluecoats maintain a perfect 100 rating on Charity Navigator based on their 2019 IRS 990 form.  Phantom got a 100 for 2019 as well.  Their financial management skills are totally unique to the rest of DCI it seems.  By comparison, the Blue Devils got a 61, Crown a 50, Cavies got a 79, Boston an 85, and SCV an 80.  Cadets haven't been scored because they, as a new organization, haven't been around long enough yet.

If you are wondering what Devils and Crown are doing wrong, it's fairly simple:  their admin expenses are too high, their liabilities/assets ratio is too high, and they have no independent audit or financial review.  Fiscal transparency is a BIG deal in the charity game, just like it is when you are a publicly owned company.  Without an independent audit, who knows what's REALLY going on with your finances.

• Thanks 4

16 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

@inbetween, I am not sure why my personal experience is so funny to you, but I am glad I could brighten your day.

I'm pretty sure he badgered every one. Even if you didn't sign up to receive it. 

Yeah, thats sort of his thing.  leaving the 'funny' face on everything without comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the long time main concerns have been food, fuel, housing and insurance.

And they are all going up (particularly this year).  Yet you keep saying this, as if it is justification for piling on any number of additional self-imposed expenses. 

Just make sure no single self-imposed line item becomes a top 4 expense.  Never mind how they add up.

21 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I know who you are talking about.  They were worse than PBS drives.  I’d subscribe to WTTW in Chicago because I figured the kid was watching Sesame Street and Mister Rogers all the time so I should chip in.  They’d call me incessantly and ask for more.  I said to them one day in a call, Hey.  Why aren’t you happy with what I have given?  He could watch this #### for free and I could have given nothing.  She went radio silent and thanked me for my subscription. Click! 

• Haha 3