DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I know who you are talking about.  They were worse than PBS drives.  I’d subscribe to WTTW in Chicago because I figured the kid was watching Sesame Street and Mister Rogers all the time so I should chip in.  They’d call me incessantly and ask for more.  I said to them one day in a call, Hey.  Why aren’t you happy with what I have given?  He could watch this #### for free and I could have given nothing.  She went radio silent and thanked me for my subscription. Click! 

Lmao my one college sent me 3 or 4 donation requests a year for a few years. One was for general fundraising, one for student tuition help, one was for the band, forget the other. Finally I contacted and said “you have a choice, send once a year and I’ll continue to donate. OR send me more than once and you get nothing… your choice “.

Get once a year now…

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao my one college sent me 3 or 4 donation requests a year for a few years. One was for general fundraising, one for student tuition help, one was for the band, forget the other. Finally I contacted and said “you have a choice, send once a year and I’ll continue to donate. OR send me more than once and you get nothing… your choice “.

Get once a year now…

I mean, I had a preschooler running around and these people are calling me a couple times a week.  I was just thinking leave me the hell alone! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of interesting comments on fundraising. I give to some corps, three regularly, two occasionally, and in a few cases to special appeals. I have said before drum corps in general does a poor job when it comes to fundraising/development, especially in the public relations area. I understand that many corps cannot afford to hire the people needed for these efforts, but many corps appear to be secretive when it comes to how money is spent and how much is needed. I know I’ve heard from donors to some corps that when questions are asked, the corps can be defensive. I’m sure there is not misuse of funds (though that has been the case at various times) but that is how it comes across. 

For two of the corps I donate to, it is for travel expenses. I am not always in agreement with how the third corps spends its money, but the corps is transparent and well run so I still donate. None of these organizations runs to the bank smiling believing all financial woes are over due to my donation, but I do get prompt thank you’s.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And they are all going up (particularly this year).  Yet you keep saying this, as if it is justification for piling on any number of additional self-imposed expenses. 

Just make sure no single self-imposed line item becomes a top 4 expense.  Never mind how they add up.

Most of the self imposed kind generate revenue by being rented out or sold immediately after finals 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not enough to cover their cost.

You also have to look at how things may have been financed, and how depreciation can be used for tax advantages. There’s many ways to make it pay for itself 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

You also have to look at how things may have been financed, and how depreciation can be used for tax advantages. There’s many ways to make it pay for itself 

Pay for itself?

By all means, if corps take on these self-imposed expenses, and tactics such as you outline enable them to chip away at the costs, good for them.  But there is no magical way for all this "stuff" to "pay for itself".  If there was, corps would be buying 100 times as much just to lease/resell for profit.  In that dream world, they should be buying woodwinds whether they use them or not.

I have no idea why you try so hard to minimize, or flat-out deny, the cost of all this "stuff" added to the drum corps activity in recent times.  But it does keep the conversation on topic, so have at it.

13 minutes ago, derek005 said:

Go back to 125 and add more Corps. This my opinion. Please don't beat me down lol!

I think all of us would like to see that happen. That being said, it's a VERY expensive preposition and DCI has never been very good at at making a workable model that can aid in producing more corps. 

• Thanks 1