DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR

11 minutes ago, Continental said:

A Vega held 4 people.

That means a corps would need 41.25 Vegas to get from A to B.

However, if the corps were to purchase a fleet of K-cars, they would only need 27.5 as the K-car was able to hold 6 people.  

Dang I watched cuz I’m a car person but also a hockey fan. Lanny McDonald with hair not mashed down by a helmet eh? 😆

And the woman at the end looks familiar too 🤔

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, craiga said:

The only corps which comes to mind that is no longer with us and clearly not mismanaged is Star of Indiana, and nobody can say with a straight face that DCI made rules which harmed THEM.

Illiana Lancers falls into this group as well.  The demise is a long story that can best be summed up as 'rival groups of parents that had differing ideas on how the Corps should be run'.  But, all the bills were paid.

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Dang I watched cuz I’m a car person but also a hockey fan. Lanny McDonald with hair not mashed down by a helmet eh? 😆

And the woman at the end looks familiar too 🤔

Wasn't she in "You Light Up My Life" along with the conductor in the onesie?

Edited by Continental

7 minutes ago, Continental said:

Wasn't she in "You Light Up My Life" along with the conductor in the onesie?

Might be seeing different commercial. Man I watched too much 70s TV, I recognized Didi Conn before I read the heading

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

will American Woodman Cadets brass outscore Millstadt Crusaders drums?  Will the Bellettes outscore their crosstown rivals the Gabrielettes?  

Now those corps names bring back some memories. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Might be seeing different commercial. Man I watched too much 70s TV, I recognized Didi Conn before I read the heading

The local Detroit radio station played that song 100 times a day back then.  Ok, I may be exaggerating.  It might have been around 50 times a day. 

Thousands of kids had great, life-altering experiences in their small neighborhood corps in the 50s, 60s, 70s and into the 80s.  I don't undervalue that at all.  The original premise here on DCP offered by a handful was that most of these units went under because of the votes and subsequent rules of the DCI "Elite". I simply maintain that these little corps, while offering their kids a great activity, had a limited shelf life to begin with due to their organization limitations and DCI had no role in their demise. And it wasn't just the dozens of littel corps, either.

As I think back to the time when I first followed drum corps....you could go to a show at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Mass on a Saturday night in July or August and see a FULL SHOW of World Class (then referred to as Open Class) all of whose members drove themselves to the show.   The 27th Lancers of Revere, MA and North Star of "the North Shore of Mass" were full-sized DCI finalists in those days.  The Defenders of Rockland County were also strong, numbering close to 100 members, as was The Alliance, of "Greater Boston" (with Mr. Zingali as vis designer btw). BAC was smaller than all of the above, but generally finished somewhere midpack.  And, to begin the night, you usually had the Middlesex County Guardsmen and the AmVet Brigadiers leading off, both of whom had huge corps and were also quite good along with Arbella, of Salem MA..an all girl corps and they were large and rock solid. All of these kids could drive to the show from their homes.

It really was a different time in our activity and society as a whole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apparently some have assumed this is a contest with a winner. 

Posts have commented on how one corps suffered the most.  How no other suffering is in comparison to what one corps felt. 

So easy to assume.  So easy to post on a public forum.  Yet we have absolutely no idea what went on in personal lives of people trying to keep an activity alive to pick a "most suffered" winner/group that is still alive.   My bet is suffering exceeded successful outcome.   Do we have a metre that can measure past heartache?

This is not a contest to be won.  This is a contest to learn from. 

I salute those who made it happen.  I salute those who changed their direction and built something.

Here is my advise to those that did.

If you want competition, if you want others to gain from your experience, then share what you did to ensure the current survival of your unit.   If you strive to be number 1, then strive to ensure the success of #2. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, craiga said:

The original premise here on DCP offered by a handful was that most of these units went under because of the votes and subsequent rules of the DCI "Elite". 

Who said that?  That is unrealistically extreme.

I simply maintain that these little corps, while offering their kids a great activity, had a limited shelf life to begin with due to their organization limitations and DCI had no role in their demise.

But that would be the opposite extreme - to pretend DCI had nothing to do with it.

The truth is somewhere between those extremes.