Jump to content

DCI WORLD CLASS EXPANDS TO 165 MEMBERS for the 2022 TOUR


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Don't over think this Shelton.  😁  (Since I've been involved, the bus capacity of the MCI, Prevost, Silver Eagle, & Vanhool motor coaches have historically ranged from 47 - 60.)  

Your beef is with DCI, not me.  They are the ones claiming these size limit changes are based on bus seating capacity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Your beef is with DCI, not me.  They are the ones claiming these size limit changes are based on bus seating capacity.

Ahhhhh, I don't have a beef with anyone.  As you can see, I had one of them smiling emojis.  I'm actually for the increased membership.  Fill the bus capacity & add to the right side of the ledger.  😁😇 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am pretty confident that the best people to judge the financial impact of the increase of the size of corps is the corps themselves. It is not posters on this forum who don’t even have the benefit of reviewing the corps financials. Did I hear this was a unanimous vote? The corps knew what they were voting for and what the financial impact would be.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Continental said:

You know what makes corps look even bigger?  Uniforms like this.

($1 to Sutasaurus)

wig-fashion.gif

[Mandarins visual staff takes notes]

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am pretty confident that the best people to judge the financial impact of the increase of the size of corps is the corps themselves. It is not posters on this forum who don’t even have the benefit of reviewing the corps financials. Did I hear this was a unanimous vote? The corps knew what they were voting for and what the financial impact would be.

In this instance, it may well be a very small line item.  And I think it also tells us that the corps directors feel confident in their current financial position and the prospects for 2022 being business as usual.  That is good news.

Speaking generally, though... for 50 years, the narrative has been that only the directors of the richest corps can make wise decisions for the greater activity, of which they are just a subset.  Under that narrative, we have gone from 400-something corps to 40-something, and watched budgets go from 5 figures to 7 figures. 

If they had told us that would be the impact of their first 50 years of decisions, then I would be convinced they know exactly what they are doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

This place needs some humor.  Enjoy the new Geico commercial "Animal in the Attic". :spitting:

 

 

Had a couple of music majors in my privately owned (not part of the college) dorm. #### thing was next to a salvage yard so figure how “nice” it was. Watching Muppet Show in TV lounge and someone said Animal was a “typical percussion major”. One guy who normally was quiet, just went tearing out of the lounge. Then we remembered… “oh yeah, Ron’s a percussion major” 😬

edit: dang hadn’t thought of this guy for decades so I googled. He’s a percussionist for Nashville Symphony Orchestra. And looks like he’s arranged for some films. Freaking wow…

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had a couple of music majors in my privately owned (not part of the college) dorm. #### thing was next to a salvage yard so figure how “nice” it was. Watching Muppet Show in TV lounge and someone said Animal was a “typical percussion major”. One guy who normally was quiet, just went tearing out of the lounge. Then we remembered… “oh yeah, Ron’s a percussion major” 😬

edit: dang hadn’t thought of this guy for decades so I googled. He’s a percussionist for Nashville Symphony Orchestra. And looks like he’s arranged for some films. Freaking wow…

… and his eye still twitches when you mention “Animal.”

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

… and his eye still twitches when you mention “Animal.”

More like just stare without blinking 😬😬😬😬😬

Weird thing is of my four roommates, one is a lawyer, one became a prison guard and one became a priest or brother (not sure which). Other was a idiot so don’t care. 😈  Sad thing was I checked last year and the priest/brother had passed away from heart issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

.

 for 50 years, the narrative has been that only the directors of the richest corps can make wise decisions for the greater activity, of which they are just a subset.  Under that narrative, we have gone from 400-something corps to 40-something, and watched budgets go from 5 figures to 7 figures. 

 

 In 2010, some DCI Corps Directors believed 40 corps were too many. They had convinced themselves that 7 was a very good number to have. They even were fine if all the Open Class Corps  dissolved and went away as they believed they provided (their words ) " no real value ".  You and I ( and others ) might disagree with that, but it certainly was true in 2010.

 DCI STILL does not value the Open Class Corps, nor even their input on the decision making in DCI.  Not really. If they did,  voting would be extended to the Open Class Corps on Important measures and matters brought out for discussion, then a vote.

 This is why I personally have mixed feelings on increasing the numbers allowed from 154 to 165. It does " fill the seats " ( bus seats ) and gives Corps another $40,000 - $50,000 annual revenues ( from the increased marcher fees ) and the like. But its hard to make a case that this increase in numbers by the World Class Division Corps for themselves , does not put a bit more strain on some of the ( already ) smaller Corps in Open Class to even attain the current MINIMUM numbers of performing marchers required by DCI in order to perform in scored competitions.  What decisions the World Class Corps make for themselves, most likely trickles down to then impact the Open Class Corps on a number of fronts. It would be appropriate if the Open Class thus all had a vote. But nobody asked me, and Its frankly none of my business how DCI runs its own organization with willing membership either.

Edited by Boss Anova
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...