BOA vs. U S Bands

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and they didn't go to Indy

Yeah, I’m really curious how they would’ve fared. (I’ve often wondered the same about my kid’s band, Reagan, in 2019. They edged out Vandergrift in SA but it wasn’t a planned Indy year for them either.) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Holy cow. that was lovely.   I mean, we've all heard Appalachian Spring on he field and Simple Gifts like what, 5 million times?   But those arrangements were great.  The use of woodwinds and choral ensembles and the violin soloist was really nice.  the prop usage and design was smart too.  Simple mountain backdrops that moved form backline to the front to shape and fill the field through the show.

My thoughts exactly.  Incredible arrangements & love the use/blend of the choir! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Their are many GREAT bands in BOA.  Some good bands in US Bands.   BUT...Texas UIL is the top circuit in the United States.

Also, BOX 5 MEDIA is FAR SUPERIOR to Flo Marching.  They prove it can be done!

Gotta disagree with you on that last part. I’ve been having streaming issues with Box5 all season. It works ok from the Apple TV app but on the go from my phone I kept losing the picture. Super annoying. 

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

My thoughts exactly.  Incredible arrangements & love the use/blend of the choir! 

Yeah this is why I get so frustrated when I see drum corps use voice so poorly. If high school bands can make it work then there’s absolutely no excuse for a finals caliber drum corps not to. 

• Like 1

The talent of these bands just blows me away. My gosh, these are high school kids. It's not like they're all 21 year old music majors (not yet). AND, they're all local kids. It's not either like they can recruit who they want from all over the country. I've got to start watching more of this. 

Let me ask of those who are much wiser than I - IF DCI allows woodwinds, is there a merger of some type of DCI, BOA and USB in the future into one big marching arts organization? 

• Haha 1

On the one hand, I recognize the kids from BA played their you-know-whats off so what I’m about to say really has everything to do with design.

It seems like BA’s winning shows are always the shows I have the hardest time engaging with. I’ve seen the show a few times and I still have absolutely no clue what it’s about. And that’s unfortunate because past BA shows have given me goosebumps but this year’s show just… didn’t. 

Box 5 with a wired connection was outstanding all season for DCA, then BOA and UIL.  Picture was OUTSTANDING, and audio was excellent.  Using wifi for streaming with smaller companies like FLO and BOX5 is a risk…MLBTV, Netflix, etc are ok on WiFi, but not FLO or other streaming services for drum corps, wgi, band, etc. 

Congrats to Tim Snyder and BOX5 though…he has really put FLO on notice 🙂

Broken Arrow…beautiful show, outstanding, congrats on BOA win.
Hebron…another level, one of the best playing high school marching bands I have ever seen. Congrats on your UIL 6a win and your BOA regional win.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, leed17 said:

Box 5 with a wired connection was outstanding all season for DCA, then BOA and UIL.  Picture was OUTSTANDING, and audio was excellent.  Using wifi for streaming with smaller companies like FLO and BOX5 is a risk…MLBTV, Netflix, etc are ok on WiFi, but not FLO or other streaming services for drum corps, wgi, band, etc.

Had freeze up issues with Box5 at times and running WiFi might account for it. Thanks for the info.

18 hours ago, year1buick said:

Yeah, I’m really curious how they would’ve fared. (I’ve often wondered the same about my kid’s band, Reagan, in 2019. They edged out Vandergrift in SA but it wasn’t a planned Indy year for them either.) 

Hard to say for sure. Marcus seemed to do worse at GN this year than they did at the San Antonio Regional. I’d like to think that Hebron would’ve won if they attended but given BA’s score, I’m less certain.