EMC Productions guy leaving USMC Drum & Bugle Corps

Just saw on YT that Eric Carr the guy behind all of the fantastic youtube videos is leaving the Marine Corps and going full time into Youtube --

If there were a way for streamed drum corps shows to have some sort of in studio or on site commentary it would be a hoot if Eric could get that gig - his is so funny and informative - 

Good luck in whatever you do in music next Eric!

• Like 4

yeah...even though he had the support of his immediate chain of command, higher ups ordered that he remove a ton of videos and not use govt facilities.

given that he had 2 months on his enlistment and was making more money on yt than from the marines, it makes financial sense for him to leave.

• Like 4

he's a good dude. i used to judge the HS he taught...very creative and talented. he should do well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I wonder what kind of discharge he got. You can't just quit an enlistment.  

He'll be super successful.  Fun videos and a really good musician. 

He was 2 months away from the end of his contract when this came up. And was about to do another 2 years but this incident made his decision for him. He explains here, if this makes sense. Obviously you know more of the ins and outs of enlistment than I do. 

https://youtu.be/5LiHhybLnPw

Edited by mingusmonk

3 hours ago, Lance said:

I wonder what kind of discharge he got. You can't just quit an enlistment.  

He'll be super successful.  Fun videos and a really good musician. 

In the video where he explained the situation, he showed the Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal he was awarded; had to be the (default) ‘Honorable Discharge’ or there would be no medal.  

Even though I am a brass guy I always watch his videos to feed the YouTube algorithm so he gets an extra shekel or two. 

• Like 2

He would have been awarded the medal before his discharge, and you don't have to have an honorable discharge to receive a medal before the discharge.  

Of course it wasn't dishonorable or bad conduct or anything like that, but I am curious.  

If it was an honorable discharge, then that was a pretty special arrangement since he had 2 months left. 

8 hours ago, Lance said:

He would have been awarded the medal before his discharge, and you don't have to have an honorable discharge to receive a medal before the discharge.  

Of course it wasn't dishonorable or bad conduct or anything like that, but I am curious.  

If it was an honorable discharge, then that was a pretty special arrangement since he had 2 months left. 

Another option could be he was using up leave - when I retired out of USAF I had something like 7 weeks leave on books, so 1st 7 weeks of retirement was technically leave.