Crossmen changing logo

I have no dog in this hunt, but the Crossmen's logo is in fact a Maltese cross, used by the German (and other European) military for centuries well before the Nazis decade of terror and genocide.  This cross was also used by the 20th Maine Regiment during the Civil War, and used by countless other organizations throughout history.  The Crossmen can certainly brand themselves however they like, but I hope they don't allow some clueless college kid to dictate what they do.

I have recently wondered how long it will be until the cancel culture goes after the Boston "CRUSADERS"....probably a matter of time.

Edited by craiga
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

My understanding is that the Crossmen are going to the C as a logo and doing away with the Cross.  I know my son said when he wore the Cross on campus several people asked him if he was a Nazi (😣).  I understand the history of the symbol, but how do others feel about changing this iconic symbol?  Not looking to pick any side, just want to understand.

The cross used by the Crossmen appears to be a variation of the Malta Cross. The Knights of Malta opposed totalitarianism during WWII and Malta itself voluntarily became part of the British Empire during the war and played a significant role in restocking Allied supplies during the war. It’s pretty safe to say there is no connection with the Malta Cross and Nazi Germany.

To the best of my knowledge there is no historic connection with Crossmen and any religious group. That being said, any kind of religious symbolism can start a fire these days, so some with the corps may feel it is too religious and needs to be changed.

To me, Crossmen has had identity issues for years. Some may trace it back to the move to Texas, I would date it back to YEA. However some corps do update logos, others bring logos out of retirement, so maybe they are trying to establish a new identity, maybe they think it’s time for a change and no big deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

, so maybe they are trying to establish a new identity, maybe they think it’s time for a change and no big deal.

That's what I was wondering too. If too much is being read into this. 

• Like 1

Meh.  If you are going to do it, do it for the right reasons...not ignorance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing different with the Crossmen change is I believe they feel they have to change.  Quite different than Cadets and others.  Those who know the history of the logo know it's not offensive.  They should be able to put out a statement concerning the history of the logo and keep it.  I'm sure they feel it's not worth the fight.

Edited by Glassmen80
  • Haha 1

it is possible for changes like this to have nothing to do with whatever your favorite tabloid tv "news" station wants you to be outraged about. 

think for yourself. give it a try at least once a week and increase the frequency from there. 

i think this makes a lot of sense because the maltese cross with a really hard to make out cursive "C" in the middle is pretty ambiguous.  and there's no way that bones will cease selling merch that has maltese crosses, no matter what their official logo ends up being.

FYI:  I think the cross/logo change has already taken place with much discussion on the 'Facebook' this past summer.  It was a very hot topic on both sides & even included statements of reply from their leadership.  (I don't remember what administrators replied.)  Some parents were even joining the discussion on both sides.  I went back to search their page but didn't see the post, so they may have been removed?  It was also a very hot topic on their alumni page.     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I have recently wondered how long it will be until the cancel culture goes after the Boston "CRUSADERS"....probably a matter of time.

Already been done with a college north of me. School is Lutheran based and don’t think anyone knows why they picked the Crusaders name in the first place. Now the River Hawks which actually makes sense.

FYI Crossmen name comes from one of the sponsors, John(?) Cross AL Post. And that ain’t in Texas

PS why is it people grump about a good group not using a name or symbol anymore because idiots are using it. Why don’t they grump about the idiots?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1