Crossmen changing logo

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Okay now you did it.

Guardspeople

Bridgepeople

I was thinking the other part of the name being the problem…

soooo…. Religious Symbol Humanoids….

😈 Westshoremen… if from Harrisburg that’s the EAST shore, if from Carlisle not close to the west shore of the river (or the rivier itself), and co-Ed since 1970s. (Even changed word “boys” to “corps” in corps song)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

A number of people have contended that the effect of the Vietnam war (not just the draft, but public sentiment toward the military) was/is a pivotal factor in the decline of drum corps participation and support since then.  I think there is some truth to that.  So 50 years ago, people were already turning away from drum corps because they felt (rightly or wrongly) that it symbolized something they found objectionable.

The US  drafted 1.8 million teenagers & young 20 Somethings from 1964 to 1973, so it was a major factor in marcher loss in Drum Corps during that Vietnam Era.  It effected my marching years, as well as about 2 dozen  others I know that had full intention of marching for other than their Uncle and wearing his uniform. But Uncle Sam didn't really give you much options unless you were affluent and your parents had contacts. By the late 60's, the draftees had not much interest once they returned to hang out at the VFW and AL posts, and even they had soured on how the ruling elites had basically screwed them over. So its true, the Drum Corps lost marchers, sponsors, favor, and by 1972 Drum Corps needed to find a new way forward if it was to survive much longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

By the late 60's, the draftees had not much interest once they returned to hang out at the VFW and AL posts, and even they had soured on how the ruling elites had basically screwed them over

Also heard from Vietnam vets that some of them we’re not really welcomed at Posts. Combo of generation gap and “didn’t win your war”. My dad was a Korea vet and told me a few times he was accepted only because he was local so known that way (grew up few blocks from the small town Post). 
Posts shot themselves in the foot IMO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Also heard from Vietnam vets that some of them we’re not really welcomed at Posts. Combo of generation gap and “didn’t win your war”. My dad was a Korea vet and told me a few times he was accepted only because he was local so known that way (grew up few blocks from the small town Post). 
Posts shot themselves in the foot IMO

My Dad was a Korean vet and he wouldn’t join the VFW because of how they treated the Vietnam vets.  He was a member of the American Legion post in town and my mom was in the Ladies Auxiliary. 

• Like 3