Crossmen changing logo

13 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Whether someone has a problem with the logo change or not,doesn't change the fact that it is cancel culture.

Does anyone know if the alumni were asked about this ?

Also,what happens to Bone's uniform ?

Guess the Scouts are next.

New name and uniform to remove any taint from the BSA.

from what i heard no alumni weren't consulted. wouldn't have changed anything even if they had been

12 hours ago, inbetween said:

I know alumni that have been abused both verbally and physically when their corps necklace was noticed. So yeah, I'm sure alumni were in the "know". 

they saw it coming when an announcement was made about an annual tradition being changed this summer.

10 hours ago, craiga said:

I have no dog in this hunt, but the Crossmen's logo is in fact a Maltese cross, used by the German (and other European) military for centuries well before the Nazis decade of terror and genocide.  This cross was also used by the 20th Maine Regiment during the Civil War, and used by countless other organizations throughout history.  The Crossmen can certainly brand themselves however they like, but I hope they don't allow some clueless college kid to dictate what they do.

I have recently wondered how long it will be until the cancel culture goes after the Boston "CRUSADERS"....probably a matter of time.

true story that a small D3 college recently changed their mascot away from the Crusaders

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

In this instance, I agree word for word.

Oh wow. I don’t think anyone, at any time, has ever agreed with me word for word—and I have been married for almost 40 years! (I may have to rethink some of my life choices).

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Westshoremen… if from Harrisburg that’s the EAST shore, if from Carlisle not close to the west shore of the river (or the rivier itself), and co-Ed since 1970s. (Even changed word “boys” to “corps” in corps song)

Three Mile Islanders might make an interesting corps name.  And the corps logo would be intuitive:

radioactive symbol - Radioactivity - T-Shirt | TeePublic

• Haha 1

Yep, we live in the, "Let's not offend anyone," "Here's a safe place for you," "Let's find an 20 year old RAMD post so we can ruin your life!" time.

Life as we knew it has become pathetic!

Now look at where drum corps is today and look where we were 45 years ago. We have maybe a 10th of the corps (MAYBE). It's the same top 12 corps every year. The smaller corps fade away. Eventually it will be top 5 corps because all the rest will cease to exist.

But maybe this summer corps won't be able to travel because of fuel costs! Another pandemic will hit and DCI and DCA will be virtual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Three Mile Islanders might make an interesting corps name.  And the corps logo would be intuitive:

radioactive symbol - Radioactivity - T-Shirt | TeePublic

And other half of TMI was shutdown 2019. That could bring up some interesting show ideas. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Now look at where drum corps is today and look where we were 45 years ago. We have maybe a 10th of the corps (MAYBE). It's the same top 12 corps every year. The smaller corps fade away. Eventually it will be top 5 corps because all the rest will cease to exist.

But maybe this summer corps won't be able to travel because of fuel costs! Another pandemic will hit and DCI and DCA will be virtual.

If you posted this in maybe, 2010, I would have agreed 100%. For much of 2001-2010, I thought I was witnessing the end of drum corps. That’s not to say there were not great shows or moments, but I thought with so few corps and an activity that to me at least appeared to be losing steam, I figured it was over, and the G7 debates only strengthened this belief. Fortunately I was wrong.

To be fair, WC has only lost two corps due to an inability to compete due to finances since 2012, the Glassmen and Teal Sound. Yes we lost Pioneer and Oregon Crusaders, but in both of those cases it was not due to financial issues, at least not specifically. There are newer OC corps. However there are also serious challenges. Some of the corps that did not participate last year may find restarting more of a challenge. We also don’t know what some of other challenges the future could have. One thing I wonder is if the troubles with the supply chain will impact drum corps. It looks like the pandemic could at least be under control next summer, we’ve learned Covid is unpredictable.

My tribe uses the swastika symbol in some of our traditional ceremonial objects.  It represents our clan migrations over the years.  Many other tribes use this symbol as well.  We will not stop using it as that symbol has no meaning other than how we interpret it in a respectful and meaningful way.  It's all up to the interpretation of the group.  Unfortunately the outside world influences and will cause others to step in and speak/act on something they don't know about.  It's our job to educate the few who will listen.  That's a tougher choice for leadership when you have members being attacked for it.  

• Like 3