Crossmen changing logo

Heh.  My dad was a fairly early TV adopter as they got one in the 50s when there were just a few hours of programming on in the evenings.

But we were a frugal family growing up and had a B/W TV until the tube went bad and everyone literally looked like the SNL skit The Coneheads.   So it was probably what 1978 or so before we got color.  The volume slider broke off within a month or so of getting it and dad was ######.  We ended up keeping a pencil to put in the slot and move the slider for years and years.  

It was after I'd graduated High School and gone off to college they finally got a new one, with a remote, because my sister and I were no longer around to use as the remote control to change channels without getting up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

But we were a frugal family growing up and had a B/W TV until the tube went bad and everyone literally looked like the SNL skit The Coneheads.   So it was probably what 1978 or so before we got color.  The volume slider broke off within a month or so of getting it and dad was ######.  We ended up keeping a pencil to put in the slot and move the slider for years and years.  

We were one of the last families on the block to get a color TV.  Funny though, we were one of the first to get "Pong" when it came out.  I remember thinking how sensational it was....just like a tennis match!  Just.so.modern. 

The knobs broke off the TV and we changed the channel with a pair of long-nosed pliers to change both the UHF and VHF channels.  Our area didn't get cable until after I moved from home in '85 so we were constantly fighting with substitute antennas made out of clothes hangers.  One wrong turn of the stretched-out clothes hanger and the signal was toast.  It's so funny to think of the number of shows we could never watch completely as we were fighting with that impromptu antenna all the time. 

We also had a third-party HBO box to get that channel in it's infancy.  That was quite something back then.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, inbetween said:

I just laughed so hard at this, people came to make sure I was ok.  

i didn't mean to cause concern!

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think there were some who wanted to see Cadets 2018 season canceled due to contempt for the former director, but there were also those who thought things were such a mess that the season could not be salvaged. Big difference between the two groups.

The potential cancellation of the Cadets 2018 season is not an example of today’s cancel culture. The possibility of the corps being in shambles and serious financial difficulties during the tour were major reasons. So too was the  possibility of members not wanting to be associated with the corps and parents who more often than not pay the dues not wanting their sons and daughters to march.  Fortunately good people stepped up to the plate to alleviate concerns and people donated to make the season a reality. I think many who donated did so to say Cadets is not GH. 

there was some traction online for folding the Cadets after the news broke.

to this day i still feel as if the corps exorcised him from the soul of the corps forever in their Allentown performance

14 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Was it a rant? Well anyways, I thought I would be like others on DCP and change the direction of the OP. How many times do you read an OP about one thing and within 5 replies the whole post changed direction!!!

to quote the great philosopher Captain Benjamin Franklin Peirce "did you know my rants get raves?"

and to follow up with the great philosopher Dr. Sidney Freidman "i said it before i'll say it again...lades and gentlemen take my advice...pull down your pants and slide on the ice".

however your post was pure Colonel Sherman T. Potter "horse hockey" and/or "mule fritters"

12 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

That is insulting you should be better. 

this was my better. i've also known the poster for 20+ years

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Six pages.  It usually takes longer…

tumblr_o50jeoGv3Z1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

give me credit, i got some MASH quotes in

• Haha 2

I read through the posts and then thought.....what was this thread about again? I went back and sure enough, after the first few replies....BAM! It changed. BUT, did I insult anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I read through the posts and then thought.....what was this thread about again? I went back and sure enough, after the first few replies....BAM! It changed. BUT, did I insult anyone?

Not me.  I try to respect all viewpoints and opinions.