Crossmen changing logo

On 10/11/2021 at 1:12 AM, Jeff Ream said:

I see both sides...it wasn't just a Nazi thing, but in this day and age, i can see why people would be offended

I'm offended by people that are offended...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bluehull said:

I'm offended by people that are offended...

and i find that offensive

On 10/20/2021 at 6:01 PM, FTNK said:

Hot take: No one cares about the dumb logo, the dumb "tradition," or The Crossmen.

Kindly see yourself out the thread and keep your trash takes to yourself.

ive never cared for the crossmen though I will never forget working my first job (at a medical records warehouse) after marching and my boss recognizing my corps necklace shortly before I recognized his crossmen necklace. It was a surreal meeting in one of the most unlikely of places! If you’re on this forum buddy I hope you’re doing well, it’s been a while. 

Edited by Smug Trumpet Guy
  • Like 1

The interesting thing here is that the Crossmen actually did this once already.  Look at the uniforms with the 4 triangles around 96-97.  Its not widely known, but the Crossmen's decision to go with that was a direct result of wanting to distance ourselves from the Maltese Cross.  In fact, I remember Jim Coates (Crossmen's director at the time) stating that they did this as a result of wanting to distance ourselves from Nazi symbolism.  I mention him by name because I distinctly remember that he was the one that said it.  I don't know who else in the admin at the time agreed or disagreed.  This was around the time that YEA! took over the corps, so Hopkins might also have had a hand in this (can't confirm this though).

My own opinion is that the Maltese Cross is not a Nazi symbol.  Germany, going back to the days when they called themselves Prussia, used the symbol extensively  For that matter, modern-day Germany continues to use it, especially for their military.  Honestly, most folks these days don't even think of Germany (Nazi or not) when they see that symbol.  If I've ever worn something in public with the Maltese Cross on it, (and no text) people tend to think I'm a biker.

If they do this, I think the same thing will happen as back in the 90s; they'll eventually go back.  We have too much history with that symbol to just give it up.

kcpack - Xmen 93-96

Edited by KCPack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 6:24 AM, KCPack said:

My own opinion is that the Maltese Cross is not a Nazi symbol.  Germany, going back to the days when they called themselves Prussia, used the symbol extensively  For that matter, modern-day Germany continues to use it, especially for their military.  Honestly, most folks these days don't even think of Germany (Nazi or not) when they see that symbol.  If I've ever worn something in public with the Maltese Cross on it, (and no text) people tend to think I'm a biker.

If they do this, I think the same thing will happen as back in the 90s; they'll eventually go back.  We have too much history with that symbol to just give it up.

kcpack - Xmen 93-96

My grandpa took one off a dead German soldier in France in WWI.  My sister still has it. 

• Like 1

Googled to check but Maltese cross emblem was also used in WWII. Medal was called the Iron Cross.

Irony is that was Crossmens feeder corps name in the 70s.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 9:09 PM, Drumcorpdad62 said:

My understanding is that the Crossmen are going to the C as a logo and doing away with the Cross.  I know my son said when he wore the Cross on campus several people asked him if he was a Nazi (😣).  I understand the history of the symbol, but how do others feel about changing this iconic symbol?  Not looking to pick any side, just want to understand.

I never thought that was a Nazi symbol lookalike. Yes it did resemble the cross in the first German Empire during WW1 during the Kaiser but I always thought of that Cross look as more England or Scotland during the old days of those countries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My grandpa took one off a dead German soldier in France in WWI.  My sister still has it. 

I have a WWII one somewhere that my grandfather acquired on the European front as well. He and Charles Shultz were in the 20th Armored Division together.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

In WWI, too.  

True but since that was already discussed I didn’t mention it. Keep thinking of that crappy George Preppard movie “The Blue Max” (slightly different design) where he was a WWI German pilot. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1