Jump to content

Crossmen changing logo


Recommended Posts

How close, in appearance, are the two crosses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

How close, in appearance, are the two crosses?

Maltese cross different because of the “eight points” as per the audio clip.

Iron cross and Crossmen logo same from what I see. And googling I was reminded that the iron cross also used by biker gangs and white supremists. 🤮 So the same issue as southern Civil War re-enactors using CSA flag. So if you see someone wearing the iron cross or CSA flag you don’t know what their beliefs are. 😬

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maltese cross different because of the “eight points” as per the audio clip.

Iron cross and Crossmen logo same from what I see. And googling I was reminded that the iron cross also used by biker gangs and white supremists. 🤮 So the same issue as southern Civil War re-enactors using CSA flag. So if you see someone wearing the iron cross or CSA flag you don’t know what their beliefs are. 😬

Why not keep the "cross" and put a "C" in the middle ?

Or "Crossmen" across the "horizontal member" ?

You could keep the tradition, and eliminate any confusion as to what the cross stands for.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Why not keep the "cross" and put a "C" in the middle ?

Or "Crossmen" across the "horizontal member" ?

You could keep the tradition, and eliminate any confusion as to what the cross stands for.

 

 

Not trying to argue but how many people outside of drum corps would wonder what kind of group “Crossmen” are if they just saw someone in a t shirt with the cross and name. Add “drum and bugle corps” or a horn and drum picture would help.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not trying to argue but how many people outside of drum corps would wonder what kind of group “Crossmen” are if they just saw someone in a t shirt with the cross and name. Add “drum and bugle corps” or a horn and drum picture would help.

I was only referring to  the logo on the uniform and things like that.

Your suggestion about adding "drum and bugle corps" and /or a horn and drum picture on tee  shirts and other souvenirs works for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I was only referring to  the logo on the uniform and things like that.

Your suggestion about adding "drum and bugle corps" and /or a horn and drum picture on tee  shirts and other souvenirs works for me.

Understand now, thanks. I wasn’t thinking of problems with the cross on the uniform or equipment. Just items that would be see by the general public outside of a show.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Why not keep the "cross" and put a "C" in the middle ?

Or "Crossmen" across the "horizontal member" ?

You could keep the tradition, and eliminate any confusion as to what the cross stands for.

 

 

Not a bad idea really. If I took my Atlanta CV / Corpsvets cross and turned it a few degrees it becomes pretty similar to a Maltese Cross but also very different. I think the danger is that people get really amped up about symbology that they don't have a full understanding of or that they color with their personal experiences (or they sometimes usurp the experiences of others.) 

I kind of laughed a little while typing this thinking about the opening of The Da Vinci Code where Langdon speaks about this very subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Not trying to argue but how many people outside of drum corps would wonder what kind of group “Crossmen” are if they just saw someone in a t shirt with the cross and name. Add “drum and bugle corps” or a horn and drum picture would help.

Personally if I were not at a drum corps show and I saw someone wearing a t-shirt with a Maltese styled cross on it similar to that of Crossmen, I would assume it had some religious significance. I think that’s the case with many drum corps symbols that are symbols for other things as well. When I see what appears to be “Waldo” bumper sticker on a car in a parking lot I wonder if I’ll run into a BAC alum, more often than not it is a symbol of Scotland. Some people who flew into Indy in 2018 may share this memory. I arrived in Indy for finals and the airport had quite a few men wearing what looked like a duplicate of the headgear of the Troopers’ drum major. When I spoke to one of the gentlemen wearing the hat, I learned they were in town for a West Point reunion and when I spoke about the Troopers, he assumed I was talking about state police officers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

Hot take: No one cares about the dumb logo, the dumb "tradition," or The Crossmen.

hot take.....you're wrong

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...