Crossmen changing logo

9 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Yep, we live in the, "Let's not offend anyone," "Here's a safe place for you," "Let's find an 20 year old RAMD post so we can ruin your life!" time.

Life as we knew it has become pathetic!

Now look at where drum corps is today and look where we were 45 years ago. We have maybe a 10th of the corps (MAYBE). It's the same top 12 corps every year. The smaller corps fade away. Eventually it will be top 5 corps because all the rest will cease to exist.

But maybe this summer corps won't be able to travel because of fuel costs! Another pandemic will hit and DCI and DCA will be virtual.

Yeah, asking for people to be respectful to others, keeping your hands to yourself, recognizing equal rights for everyone is pretty pathetic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

This is indeed cancel culture.  They are cancelling the "cross" how about the "men" in their name.

They should not change their logo!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 1:23 PM, 2000Cadet said:

"Cancel culture" is a term adopted by people who refuse to hold those accountable who have done things wrong in the past and continue to do things wrong. We're not perfect at all, but people SHOULD be held accountable for their actions. 

That is not accurate.  

What you describe above - holding people accountable - is something that needs to be done with the appropriate specificity.  The problem with "cancel culture" is that it often sweeps up a lot of other people in the collateral damage.  For instance, three years ago, people were calling for the entire Cadets 2018 season to be cancelled in the process of holding George Hopkins and his BOD enablers accountable.  You were singing a different tune then:

That is the kind of thing I refer to when using the term "cancel culture".  See what I mean?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Three Mile Islanders might make an interesting corps name.  And the corps logo would be intuitive:

radioactive symbol - Radioactivity - T-Shirt | TeePublic

well now that lighting is legal, it'd help get the glow right

16 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Yep, we live in the, "Let's not offend anyone," "Here's a safe place for you," "Let's find an 20 year old RAMD post so we can ruin your life!" time.

Life as we knew it has become pathetic!

Now look at where drum corps is today and look where we were 45 years ago. We have maybe a 10th of the corps (MAYBE). It's the same top 12 corps every year. The smaller corps fade away. Eventually it will be top 5 corps because all the rest will cease to exist.

But maybe this summer corps won't be able to travel because of fuel costs! Another pandemic will hit and DCI and DCA will be virtual.

and the number of remaining corps ties into the rant you delivered and the topic at hand how?

i'll wait and stand just off of the edge of your lawn

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Whiskey said:

My tribe uses the swastika symbol in some of our traditional ceremonial objects.  It represents our clan migrations over the years.  Many other tribes use this symbol as well.  We will not stop using it as that symbol has no meaning other than how we interpret it in a respectful and meaningful way.  It's all up to the interpretation of the group.  Unfortunately the outside world influences and will cause others to step in and speak/act on something they don't know about.  It's our job to educate the few who will listen.  That's a tougher choice for leadership when you have members being attacked for it.  

In addition to being an engineer, I'm also a Land Surveyor in New Jersey.

The swastika symbol shows up on a lot of old maps, especially in areas with direct ties to Native American Tribes.

In fact, the original Borough of Carlstdat Tax Map used it for the map's North arrow.

When I saw it on a map for the first time as a kid, I was surprised, to say the least.

My grandfather told me  to look at the date on the map.

It was from the late 1800's.

He told me the symbol was used, as a sign of respect.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and the number of remaining corps ties into the rant you delivered and the topic at hand how?

i'll wait and stand just off of the edge of your lawn

I just laughed so hard at this, people came to make sure I was ok.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is not accurate.  

What you describe above - holding people accountable - is something that needs to be done with the appropriate specificity.  The problem with "cancel culture" is that it often sweeps up a lot of other people in the collateral damage.  For instance, three years ago, people were calling for the entire Cadets 2018 season to be cancelled in the process of holding George Hopkins and his BOD enablers accountable.  You were singing a different tune then:

That is the kind of thing I refer to when using the term "cancel culture".  See what I mean?

I think there were some who wanted to see Cadets 2018 season canceled due to contempt for the former director, but there were also those who thought things were such a mess that the season could not be salvaged. Big difference between the two groups.

The potential cancellation of the Cadets 2018 season is not an example of today’s cancel culture. The possibility of the corps being in shambles and serious financial difficulties during the tour were major reasons. So too was the  possibility of members not wanting to be associated with the corps and parents who more often than not pay the dues not wanting their sons and daughters to march.  Fortunately good people stepped up to the plate to alleviate concerns and people donated to make the season a reality. I think many who donated did so to say Cadets is not GH. 

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

In addition to being an engineer, I'm also a Land Surveyor in New Jersey.

The swastika symbol shows up on a lot of old maps, especially in areas with direct ties to Native American Tribes.

In fact, the original Borough of Carlstdat Tax Map used it for the map's North arrow.

When I saw it on a map for the first time as a kid, I was surprised, to say the least.

My grandfather told me  to look at the date on the map.

It was from the late 1800's.

He told me the symbol was used, as a sign of respect.

At the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum many years ago. Had the propeller cap from Lindbergh’s Spirit of St Louis in a case. Inside the cap is a painted swastika and beside it a card saying it was for good luck. And Lindberghs flight was 1927.

No need to guess why the Smithsonian felt the need to explain the swastika.

Edited by JimF-LowBari