Jump to content

Is it still a drum and bugle corps?


Recommended Posts

Tonight I watched a performance of the United States Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.  I thought I heard piccolos and looked closer to see there were indeed piccolos, clarinets and I think saxophones.  They still go by the name USNA Drum and Bugle corps.  If they are now making a change to include woodwinds in their standard instrumentation why not change it to USNA Marching Band?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Tonight I watched a performance of the United States Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.  I thought I heard piccolos and looked closer to see there were indeed piccolos, clarinets and I think saxophones.  They still go by the name USNA Drum and Bugle corps.  If they are now making a change to include woodwinds in their standard instrumentation why not change it to USNA Marching Band?

 As music composer John Adams might put it.. " this thread discussion is going to be a short ride in a fast machine ".

  th?id=OIP.Fjjied1INqXcGMBSxfVM8AHaFM&pid=Api&P=0&w=235&h=166

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Tonight I watched a performance of the United States Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.  I thought I heard piccolos and looked closer to see there were indeed piccolos, clarinets and I think saxophones.  They still go by the name USNA Drum and Bugle corps.  If they are now making a change to include woodwinds in their standard instrumentation why not change it to USNA Marching Band?

If playing  together sounds like an interesting combo. So was it billed as just the D&BC or as music groups in the academy?

Memorial Day ceremonies at Hanover had (still have I hope) an arrangement of “America” for D&BC and high school band. Hanover’s horn instructor arranged it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no professional marching band. For inclusivity's sake, I'm ok with woodwinds joining the activity, because many precious kids out there have had to learn a new instrument. I recall marching with a '10 drum and bugle corps bassoonist who learned mello to join. Poor gal had to go through crap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, jfcadets said:

There is no professional marching band. For inclusivity's sake, I'm ok with woodwinds joining the activity, because many precious kids out there have had to learn a new instrument. I recall marching with a '10 drum and bugle corps bassoonist who learned mello to join. Poor gal had to go through crap. 

I was precious too and had to learn a new instrument in order to participate in Drum Corps.  It was hard but it didn't kill me and it paid off.  There's nothing to stop marching band enthusiasts from starting their own summer league.  Don't wreck ours in the name of "inclusivity."  

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Two guys that marched Drum Corps many years ago, and had been away from the activity for decades, recently went to a local DCI Corps practice for the 1st time when they were on vacation in the area, and thought they'd swing by the practice room. They were apparently unaware of the changes in instrumentations of the Drum & Bugle Corps from their days.   Anyway,  its worth noting that we have on record the 2 old Drum Corps dinos somewhat puzzling reactions to what they saw and heard on their visit .🙂

   

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

 Two guys that marched Drum Corps many years ago, and had been away from the activity for decades, recently went to a local DCI Corps practice for the 1st time when they were on vacation in the area, and thought they'd swing by the practice room. They were apparently unaware of the changes in instrumentations of the Drum & Bugle Corps from their days.   Anyway,  its worth noting that we have on record the 2 old Drum Corps dinos somewhat puzzling reactions to what they saw and heard on their visit .🙂

   

 

RIGHT!?  That's me looking at the size of pits.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I was precious too and had to learn a new instrument in order to participate in Drum Corps.  It was hard but it didn't kill me and it paid off.  There's nothing to stop marching band enthusiasts from starting their own summer league.  Don't wreck ours in the name of "inclusivity."  

And I had to learn to play a valve-rotor Olds Ultratone Soprano. I had been playing a Bach Stradivarius trumpet. Life is so unfair.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...