Is it still a drum and bugle corps?

Tonight I watched a performance of the United States Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.  I thought I heard piccolos and looked closer to see there were indeed piccolos, clarinets and I think saxophones.  They still go by the name USNA Drum and Bugle corps.  If they are now making a change to include woodwinds in their standard instrumentation why not change it to USNA Marching Band?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Tonight I watched a performance of the United States Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.  I thought I heard piccolos and looked closer to see there were indeed piccolos, clarinets and I think saxophones.  They still go by the name USNA Drum and Bugle corps.  If they are now making a change to include woodwinds in their standard instrumentation why not change it to USNA Marching Band?

As music composer John Adams might put it.. " this thread discussion is going to be a short ride in a fast machine ".

th?id=OIP.Fjjied1INqXcGMBSxfVM8AHaFM&pid=Api&P=0&w=235&h=166

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

If playing  together sounds like an interesting combo. So was it billed as just the D&BC or as music groups in the academy?

Memorial Day ceremonies at Hanover had (still have I hope) an arrangement of “America” for D&BC and high school band. Hanover’s horn instructor arranged it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There is no professional marching band. For inclusivity's sake, I'm ok with woodwinds joining the activity, because many precious kids out there have had to learn a new instrument. I recall marching with a '10 drum and bugle corps bassoonist who learned mello to join. Poor gal had to go through crap. 

21 hours ago, jfcadets said:

There is no professional marching band. For inclusivity's sake, I'm ok with woodwinds joining the activity, because many precious kids out there have had to learn a new instrument. I recall marching with a '10 drum and bugle corps bassoonist who learned mello to join. Poor gal had to go through crap. 

I was precious too and had to learn a new instrument in order to participate in Drum Corps.  It was hard but it didn't kill me and it paid off.  There's nothing to stop marching band enthusiasts from starting their own summer league.  Don't wreck ours in the name of "inclusivity."  

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Two guys that marched Drum Corps many years ago, and had been away from the activity for decades, recently went to a local DCI Corps practice for the 1st time when they were on vacation in the area, and thought they'd swing by the practice room. They were apparently unaware of the changes in instrumentations of the Drum & Bugle Corps from their days.   Anyway,  its worth noting that we have on record the 2 old Drum Corps dinos somewhat puzzling reactions to what they saw and heard on their visit .🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Two guys that marched Drum Corps many years ago, and had been away from the activity for decades, recently went to a local DCI Corps practice for the 1st time when they were on vacation in the area, and thought they'd swing by the practice room. They were apparently unaware of the changes in instrumentations of the Drum & Bugle Corps from their days.   Anyway,  its worth noting that we have on record the 2 old Drum Corps dinos somewhat puzzling reactions to what they saw and heard on their visit .🙂

RIGHT!?  That's me looking at the size of pits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I was precious too and had to learn a new instrument in order to participate in Drum Corps.  It was hard but it didn't kill me and it paid off.  There's nothing to stop marching band enthusiasts from starting their own summer league.  Don't wreck ours in the name of "inclusivity."  

And I had to learn to play a valve-rotor Olds Ultratone Soprano. I had been playing a Bach Stradivarius trumpet. Life is so unfair.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1